Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

madeira disaster

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100222/twl-uk-portugal-madeira-floods-bcd57bf.html
first haiti now this

Comments

• Options
    am going there in six weeks!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I went last august and thought it was absolutely stunning - some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. It's a real shame and pretty upsetting seeing this happen because the people there were fantastic.

I was however mightily impressed with the infrastructure on the island and they seemed a very well organised island so hopefully they'll be back on their feet soon enough

[cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]am going there in six weeks!
    if you want any ideas on what to do /see just let me know.
    They absolutely LOVE kids on the island so if your avatar pic is your kids they'll be in a good place
  • Options
    Cheers Bud, yeah, although they are 11 and 14 now, doing a cruise of the Canaries so it is a one day stop off, any ides would be grateful.
  • Options
    When I went a few years back I can remember trying their delicacy, which was meat(I think beef/could have been lamb) cooked on a stick, fantastic. We stayed in funchal, nice island to visit and a shame this has happened
  • Options
    We were there over Christmas, so it's pretty shocking seeing the pictures now.

It rained every day we were there - they were getting far more than ususal for the time of year, and clearly that has continued. In a big storm just before we arrived, the lido had been smashed up by the waves - was quite a dramatic sight. Will need a lot of work to get back to normal, as so many of the roads are bridges and tunnels. Very sad that so many have died.