Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Director's six month review

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Click on the link

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=78

Comments

• Options
    Bring back Sue...
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Mr Henry

Although we have access to your article in the Kentish Times via CL but how do you communicate to those that live in London and dont get the KT or a member of CL?

Mr Solid
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Mr Henry

Although we have access to your article in the Kentish Times via CL but how do you communicate to those that live in London and dont get the KT or a member of CL?

Mr Solid

THe KT is published in Bexley and Bromley but you are right that it doesn't reach Greenwich or the rest of London. The Newshopper and Mercury weren't interested and the SLP is a waste of time. That leaves the KT as the best option in the newspaper market. Just been round to see a non-Charlton supporting client and he said he'd seen the articles so they do at least tell people that we have a Supporters' Director.

In print there have also articles either mentioning my activities (Valley Flags, mental health, Bottled beer) or byy me in most of the last 5 or 6 programmes. I wish I could get more space in there to be honest.

There is a page on the OS and I know by the routed addresses that many of the e-mails I get come from there. There should also be a link to the archieve of Charlton Life Articles from the OS. Nearly all the articles have my e-mail address so people can contact me.

The articles are posted up here (Thanks AFKA), on NetAddicks, the Addicks mailing list (what some here call the Pink Oboe list rather unfairly) and even the Swedish Addicks website. I like to see them posted up on Forever Charlton but getting to happen on a regular basis is still a problem I need to sort out around blogging etc.

And of course I'm on here and Netaddicks to answer any reasonable questions. I gave up on some of the others as it just took too much time and some of the boards don't have the high quality moderation that you find here.

I'm also off to chat to the Sevenoaks addicks this week and have been invited to speak to Woolwich Rotary Club as well! Would love to do more in Greenwich and Bexley but the supporters' club there is not very active at the moment.

Not perfect and always happy to hear ideas about how to do more. I wish there was a radio show similar to that one that BDL used to do and I've spoken to Terry Smith about his show but again they all have limited broadcast range or internet access.

BTW I was knighted my Her Majesty (Vicky not Liz) so it should be Sir Henry if you are being formal. However just Henry is fine :-)
  • Options
    Sir Henry - thanks for such a comprehensive reply.
  • Options
    Henry out of interest, what sort of feedback have you had from the board on how the first six months have gone ?

What are their views on the KT articles ? I enjoy reading them, but they are effectively a newspaper column of your views and not always purely related to the supporters director role, like Rick's in the KM. Have you thought of any ways in which you could differentiate the two a little ?

for example, carry on the KT articles, which are your views with a bit of talk on the role, and say something routinely in the programme or the club's website purely related to feedback / debate on the role ? Those are the two key areas of production from the club, if they harbour any belief that the role should be taken seriously, then they should devote the correct level of opportunities to involve it.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I expect to see you as a candidate next time....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oracle[/cite]Bring back Sue...

Grow up!
  • Options
    Solid, you are welcome,

AKFA, At first I think some board members were uneasy that I was making any statements in the articles or even on here and Netaddicks. Others were fine about it. (or perhaps didn't care either way). Some of the board do read NA and I maybe some have even looked on here.

Certainly Peter and Richard were OK with the Leaving the Valley piece as they understood where I was coming from.

Yu have to bear in mind that the idea of the SD writing articles or increasing the level and type of communication is very new to the club as it is to me so we are all feeling our way a bit. It's also, I dn't know if you have noticed, been a busy year so where we might have been able to sit down and discuss things we haven't. I'm the new boy and I think there was a reluctance to hand over space in the programme and/or OS until I could show what I was going to do with it. Also If they run my columns as a news story why not Les Reed Column (as was) or Hermans was the arguement given to me.

One problem with the articles is finding something to say every week. There is only so many times I can write about Valley Flags or bottled beer. Write about Mental Health and football and you get attacked for being boring not relevant or PC. Write about the team and you are slagged off for percieved criticism of the players (when I said a player had done well that was read as "so you are saying he's been rubbish the rest of the time"). Again when I tried to describe a board meeting or a meeting with the Manager I was attacked for "name dropping and showing off that you know something we don't". It's not that I'm letting morons like that dictate the content but just to show how difficult it is to meet some unrealistic expectations.

I don't see Rick's articles but I guess there will be some crossover just because we are both writting about Charlton and he is also an insider

Part of the idea behind this latest article was to say this is what's happened so far but to start a debate as to what the next 18 months should be about. maybe I should be more explicit in future weeks.
  • Options
    Just a personal opinion and nothing against the present incumbent who I do not know from Adam, I think the posistion is pointless. A few banners in the North Stand and a flag in the future.Wow!
    I hope I'm proved wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Just a personal opinion and nothing against the present incumbent who I do not know from Adam, I think the posistion is pointless. A few banners in the North Stand and a flag in the future.Wow!
    I hope I'm proved wrong.

There is a good deal more to it than that fella. You're doing both Ben and previous Fans Directors and major disservice
  • Options
    Well I'd love to know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Just a personal opinion and nothing against the present incumbent who I do not know from Adam, I think the posistion is pointless. A few banners in the North Stand and a flag in the future.Wow!
    I hope I'm proved wrong.

A lot of the work of the fans director is away from the public gaze.

I had cause to contact Ben earlier in the season on a matter and he, and the club, went to great lengths to resolve the issue. I would put good money on other fans being able to say the same.

That said he still eats prawn sandwiches:-)
  • Options
    I hope I'm proved wrong.

In the article I list a number of things I've done, not just the flags. If you're not happy or think that is not enough then fine, say what you think I should or could have done differently.
  • Options
    As I said, it is nothing personal.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oracle[/cite]Bring back Sue...[/quote]

Grow up![/quote]

How easy....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]As I said, it is nothing personal.

That's fine and accept that. It's just that I've done a little bit more, IMHO, than just the flags and they are listed in the article at the top of the discussion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oracle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oracle[/cite]Bring back Sue...

Grow up!

How easy....

How boring.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!