Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who says crime doesn't pay??!!

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Just been watching the news re the guy who's gone on the run from The Old Bailey.
He stands accused of being involved in a £1,750,000 armed robbery at Heathrow a few years back.
However....and here's my point....'thus far' there have been four trials regarding this case costing the tax payer a staggering £22,000,000.....remember, the robbery itself was (by comparison) a mere £1,750,000
Someone somewhere is making an incredible fortune....we've cleaned up The House of Commons....time to take a look at the legal proffession IMHO....it's nothing short of a scandal..
Need I say more?

Comments

• Options
    agreed
  • Options
    A friend of mine went to court last year all over the measly sum of £300. Went all the way to crown. Two witnesses were flown over from Sweden and put up for the week, plus all the other crap that went with it. Then was thrown out by the judge. Estimated cost to the tax payer, £27,000. Scandalous
  • Options
    I probably shouldn't comment cos of legal reasons but I am facing a re-trial later this year having been on bail for over 2 years. Total cost so far is over £1 million. Can't go into the details but the first effort of a trial was a shambles and can't see the next one being much different. Waste of time and money.

Couldn't agree more that the legal crowd need a major overhaul.
  • Options
    Two good examples from you guys....multiply that thousands of times over in a year and the figures will be astounding!
  • Options
    I had to pay £1600 for having a barrister by my side for four hours a couple of weeks ago.

And I did most of the work.
  • Options
    £28 million cost to the tax payers for lawyers representing failed asylum seakers.A year.

i got free advice (first 30mins as he was a mate of a mate)few years back on a work related issue. If i had used this guy he would have charged me £500 an hour !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]£28 million cost to the tax payers for lawyers representing failed asylum seakers.A year.

i got free advice (first 30mins as he was a mate of a mate)few years back on a work related issue. If i had used this guy he would have charged me £500 an hour !
    That's about what Ashcroft owes the country in tax
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I had to pay £1600 for having a barrister by my side for four hours a couple of weeks ago.

And I did most of the work.
    SJ trying to do you for defamation of character? :)