Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

stokes

ssn just said his preferred destination is believed to be sunderland.
sunderland are saying nothing, which sounds ominous to me.

Comments

• Options
    Can you blame him? I wouldn't join us either at the moment.
  • Options
    explain this then from Sky earlier:

Stokes explains Charlton choice

By Mark Buckingham - Created on 7 Jan 2007

Anthony Stokes admits Premiership football was the decisive factor in his decision to join Charlton Athletic.

The teenage striker is expected to complete a £3million move to Charlton from Arsenal on Sunday, once he has undergone a medical.

Stokes had spent the first half of the season on loan at Falkirk and scored 16 goals in 18 appearances.

Falkirk wanted to keep the Irish youngster for the rest of the campaign, but Charlton, Celtic and Sunderland all made permanent offers.

Gordon Strachan was surprised that Stokes turned down the chance of playing UEFA Champions League football with Celtic.

But while Stokes was flattered to have the chance to talk to the Scottish champions, and Sunderland, he concedes the lure of the Premiership was too much to resist.

"It was a very, very tough call, but the prospect of playing in the Premiership was what drew me to Charlton," Stokes was quoted in the Sunday Mirror.

"I spoke to Roy Keane and Gordon Strachan and it was a privilege to have those two people interested.

"It's the hardest decision I have ever made."
  • Options
    looks like westham will get him, thats the usual conclusion!
  • Options
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439868&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=2&title=Stokes+to+sign+for+Addicks

Further posting to read.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Unfortunately - that was written on Saturday...
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2007
    Update

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439999&CPID=10&clid=33&lid=&title=Stokes+set+for+Black+Cats
  • Options
    Freddie Eastwood is rumoured to be leaving Southend for between £2-3million this week. I know who I would rather spend my money on.

Stokes is unproven and still raw. He would be a great signing as a prospect - no doubt, but we need to get a proven goalscorer in and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Have taken a look at which games Stokes got his goals against in the SPL and it puts things in perspective for me - 1 against Celtic mind you!
  • Options
    If we are going to go down then we need to plan and build for the future, both Eastwood and Stokes would be a part of a new Charlton team, rather than a collection of mercanaries that we've picked up over the last season.
  • Options
    No matter how good he is, does anyone else get the feeling he's just shopping around for the highest wages?

I've had it with these mercenaries - they either want to play for us for the honour of wearing the shirt or they can fook off!