Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports people only care about when the main event is on.

edited February 2010 in Other Football and Sports
Now what i mean by this is, Things like Wimbledon, the Grand National and the Olyimpics. When any of these three events (and others) are on, at my place of work there are loads of people who become experts on the given sports and you get people who are very excited about tennis, Horse racing or Swimming who normally wouldnt watch these and moan when someone else would put them on sports really annoys me anyone else???

The same people for 4 years will say they hate football and then go mad for the WC cant stand this attitude. I understand if you have money on a horse at the Grand National that can become exciting but i am not a tennis fan therfore wont watch Wimbledon and dont care who wins. I think the Olyimpics are the worst people cheering the divers on but they wouldnt watch the spring board diving European Championships, or people who watch the athletics (which are all so boring anyway) get very excited about Athletics when its the olyimpics but have no idea who the best sprinter or 400m runner in the world is. If i dont like a particular sport i wont watch it full stop. I wont watch the Grand national as i dont bet (much not on something i know nothing about anyway) and i dont like horse racing in the slightest. So i wont watch anything in the Olyimpics other than the football because i like football i wont watch athletics as i dont like athletics so why would i. As i said above Wimbledon is wasted on me as i dont like Tennis.

I dont understand why people want to watch sports they care little about the rest of the year but when they play a big event in the sport loads of people get all excited about it. I would happly watch any football game or any Rugby game or any NFL, NBA, Cricket i could go on but i wont watch sports i dont like just because its a big event and i dont think others shoould either.

Comments

• Options
    I agree with that mate you get alot of people who are like that, snooker is another one to add. everyone seems to only watch the main event, to me it doesn't make a difference i will only watch if on and Ronnie is playing. i play snooker, but find it very boring to watch most of the time.
  • Options
    It is the lemming mentality.
  • Options
    It's worse when you get a British person or team doing well at a horseshit dull sport and everyone watching it. Cycling, skeleton bob and curling being recent examples.
  • Options
    I do this with Boxing, i couldn't give a hoot to be honest.

Without watching the 'big' events in certain sports how would you ever get into that particular Sport even further?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite] I wont watch the Grand national as i dont bet (much not on something i know nothing about anyway) and i dont like horse racing in the slightest.

If you don't watch it, how do you know you don't like it?!
  • Options
    its called taking pride in a fellow countryman who are competing in a major worldwide event and supporting them.

Atheletics boring.... fug me.
  • Options
    I think the Men's SBX this week was the most spectacular piece of TV sport I have seen in years.
  • Options
    Event junkies. I'm one, but I wouldn't tell all round me about it, and would stay well clear of pretending to know as much as tennis fans, horse racing fans etc. I'm enjoying the Winter Olympics, even if I hate the snow and have never been to a snowy place
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited February 2010
    Particuarly if the major event is broadcast on terrestial, i'd much rather watch Bowles on ice than Adrian Chiles
  • Options
    Don't really understand the point of the thread. Surely watching things like Wimbledon, Olympics etc is all about watching the best in the world at their chosen sport. Quite normal I'd say.
    You are not allowed to watch the Open from St.Andrews because you didn't watch the Calcutta Masters on Eurosport at 0300hrs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Don't really understand the point of the thread. Surely watching things like Wimbledon, Olympics etc is all about watching the best in the world at their chosen sport. Quite normal I'd say.
    You are not allowed to watch the Open from St.Andrews because you didn't watch the Calcutta Masters on Eurosport at 0300hrs?

I think what he is trying to say is that people with no interest in a given sport 99.99999% of the time suddenly think they are experts when there is a big event.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pointless. The poster is a WUM.
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Don't really understand the point of the thread. Surely watching things like Wimbledon, Olympics etc is all about watching the best in the world at their chosen sport. Quite normal I'd say.

I think what he is trying to say is that people with no interest in a given sport 99.99999% of the time suddenly think they are experts when there is a big event.

No he's not len. he's not saying about being experts... he's saying about why people get excited about something they know nothing about.

i know very little about rugby and dont go and watch my local club blackheath but have been watching the six nations... is that allowed?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh dear i seem to have broken my own rule of exclamation marks.
  • Options
    Same mentallity that says you can't go to the Play-Off final, should we get there, because you didn't go to the cancelled game at Wallsall? Pathetic.
  • Options
    I agree with you Ru . Rugby bores here do it all the time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

No he's not len. he's not saying about being experts... he's saying about why people get excited about something they know nothing about.

i know very little about rugby and dont go and watch my local club blackheath but have been watching the six nations... is that allowed?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think people can watch what they like, certainly the six nations but it can be annoying if you've played and watched a sport for many years to be told by an instant "expert" that you know nothing about it because that "expert" is regurgitating the views of the Alan Hansen equivalent of the given sport.

I like boxing for instance and have watched it for many years but Nolly knows a lot more about it than I do so if he says I'm talking rubbish about something boxing related I would take note.

I read the thread as making that point but could be wrong...
  • Options

I thought he was saying about those people who dont usually watch it thinking they are experts and going on about them

Yes it is allowed, as long as you dont claim to know it all
  • Options
    i am guilty of watching pretty much anything where england is concerned although i take exception to motor racing because that really is toilet.
  • Options
    I've no problem people getting excited about it. I'd watch pistol shooting if there's a Brit doing well in the Olympics!

I guess it is annoying if they suddenly think they're an expert though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His point is:

"I dont understand why people want to watch sports they care little about the rest of the year but when they play a big event in the sport loads of people get all excited about it. I would happly watch any football game or any Rugby game or any NFL, NBA, Cricket i could go on but i wont watch sports i dont like just because its a big event and i dont think others shoould either."

he's telling people they shouldnt watch the grand national because they dont watch horse racing all year round which must mean they dont like horse racing so why should they watch the grand national... or watch the olympics when they come around every 4 years because they dont follow athletics year round.

be a lot of empty seats at 2012 if we all took ruperts attitude.
  • Options
    I once watched a live feed on Eurosport of Britain versus USA at 2am in the world sofball championships in the states.
    This was a feed that didnt even have a commentator - just a sound effect microphone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]His point is:

"I dont understand why people want to watch sports they care little about the rest of the year but when they play a big event in the sport loads of people get all excited about it. I would happly watch any football game or any Rugby game or any NFL, NBA, Cricket i could go on but i wont watch sports i dont like just because its a big event and i dont think others shoould either."

he's telling people they shouldnt watch the grand national because they dont watch horse racing all year round which must mean they dont like horse racing so why should they watch the grand national... or watch the olympics when they come around every 4 years because they dont follow athletics year round.

be a lot of empty seats at 2012 if we all took ruperts attitude.

Well its how you interpret it then :-)

On that note i do only watch the grand national, but cos i like a flutter on it. Dont see the point of watching horses if no bettings involved personally, but someone on another thread said they watch it and never bet(Oggy Maybe) and im sure he will know more about it then me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

I thought he was saying about those people who dont usually watch it thinking they are experts and going on about them

another post... what gives you the right to say people cant offer an opinion on something they are watching?

i think we had this when the ashes were on a while back and a few cricket "experts" bemoaned the fact that everyone was talking about cricket when they didnt know anything.
  • Options
    I think we are all victim to patriotism and if an Enlgishman or even Scottsman(Murray) is doing well we are more likely to watch something we dont usually
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

another post... what gives you the right to say people cant offer an opinion on something they are watching?

i think we had this when the ashes were on a while back and a few cricket "experts" bemoaned the fact that everyone was talking about cricket when they didnt know anything.

I was merely making a point im not saying people shouldnt offer there opinion, i think everyone is entitled to their own just it is annoying when people go on about it as if they always watch something likewise
  • Options
    If that is an example of your journalism then 2/10 for clarity and presentation but 8/10 for getting a response from your readers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If that is an example of your journalism then 2/10 for clarity and presentation but 8/10 for getting a response from your readers.

lmao :-)
  • Options
    I'm with you on the Wimbledon set. Loads of them are blissfully unaware of any sport the week before when they're playing at Queens and then become the billy know alls as soon as the Pimms and strawberry's come out. Except that if you listen, you find out that they only ever repeat whatever platitudes the commentators spoon feed them with. Indeed half the time with these minority sports, the commentators don't seem to know much about it.

That said, lots of people get lots of enjoyment out of watching big events and I can't see anything wrong with that. If it wasn't for all the plastics, there'd probably never be any big events. I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed the snowboarding this week and I don't have a Scooby about it. I like the fact that there's a secret sniper hidden in the trees to shoot one of the four boarders in every race (but don't tell anyone you know about this).
  • Options
    just caught up with this thread as i was celebrating our mens curling win over france yesterday.
    cant wait for todays encounters against switzerland, russia and denmark.