Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Buying a new car

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Was just wondering if any of you helpful people could suggest a car in the £6,000 region, for a family of four. Not looking for it to be more than a few years old. I know f--- all about cars and was just wondering if you had any tips on what to avoid or what is worth a look. Cheers, Martin

Comments

• A Vauxhall Meriva is good for a family of 4 spacious in front and back, plenty of boot space, relatively cheap to run and good on the insurance.
  • Ford mondeo - apparently the new version is nice, big, plus cheap to run. Not sure if you can pick up an old one yet for £6K.
  • An 01-08 Honda Jazz. Size of a supermini, space of a family car. Built like a tank and cheap to run.
  • You can get a 57/08 plate Seat Ibiza for 6000. Very nice car, big enough for four. I got a year old sports version and that was only 7,500.
  • my mazda 3 weren't bad, just not big enough for baby stuff, pram etc
  • Had a couple of Renault Scenics over the last 7/8 years or so currently on a Grand with 7 seats I am told it means that we can cart the kids friends around as well, while no doubt it will prove to be less reliable than a Honda it is 5 years old was bought a year old and is cheap to run 1.5 turbo diesel (will do 60mpg though mostly 45) and insure. Though I understand there are others who have had less satisfactory experiences of running Renaults.
  • I think you can get a 3 year old Focus for about 6k. Great family car.
  • [cite]Posted By: HardyAddick[/cite]Ford mondeo - apparently the new version is nice, big, plus cheap to run. Not sure if you can pick up an old one yet for £6K.

new Mondeo is great - not likely to be in the 6k range just yet
    focus is good too

Honda civic - surprisingly big inside and Honda reliability is legendary

basically Jap or German are better for reliability, ford have improved greatly inthe last few years
    I personally avoid vauxhalls or anything French
  • Cheers for the advice guys, most appreciated. Wife likes the Nissan Note but i'm not as keen and think we can get better.
  • Mart
    For goodness sake check the ncap rating
    http://www.euroncap.com/latest.aspx and search for cars you like.
    It has to be 5 star, especially if you have a family
    Also autotrader do a good analysis of most models, prices resale values safety issues etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vauxhall Astra 07 reg will be about 4.5k
  • Anything there is a lot of on the road, is a good rule of thumb.
    And then pick the shape you like and your buget fits.
    Large family car, my choice would be any of the rep mobiles, fords, Vauxhalls, toyotas (dispite recent news, very good cars) hondas etc.
  • Anyone hear bought from Car Giant and if so would you still recommend getting an AA check on the car which is an extra £170 or just taking the word of Car Giant? Cheers.
  • i'd get an AA check regardless even from a main dealer, they all want a sale!
  • id get it checked too. just for peace of mind.
  • Cheers, think i'll get it checked as i suppose the couple of hundred quid spent could save me a lot in the long run.
  • Bought two cars from Car Giant (both been hyper reliable and good buys a VW Polo and the 7 seat Scenic) and on reflection the AA check is probably money saved longer term, if it needs new tyres, etc they will notice.