Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham settle Alan Curbishley compensation claim

West Ham have settled the compensation claim made against them by former manager Alan Curbishley.

The 52-year-old, who left the club in September 2008 won his case for constructive dismissal against the Hammers last November.

And an undisclosed compensation fee has now been settled by the club's new owners David Sullivan and David Gold.

"With my managerial record intact, I am now looking forward to getting back into management," said Curbishley.

"It has taken many months to conclude this case but I am proud of my record at West Ham.

"I would like to thank David Sullivan for acting quickly and concluding the settlement since his arrival at West Ham."

Last autumn, a Premier League managers' arbitration tribunal upheld Curbishley's claim and dismissed a counter-claim by the Hammers but did not decide on the amount of compensation.

Curbishley resigned after defenders Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney were sold against his wishes.

The former Charlton boss launched his case after the Hammers counterclaimed for the cost of employing Curbishley's successor Gianfranco Zola and his assistant Steve Clarke.

Curbishley made 85 first-team appearances for West Ham during his playing career and rejoined the club as manager in December 2006, saving them from relegation in his first season.

In his first full campaign at Upton Park, Curbishley steered West Ham to a 10th-place finish in the Premier League.

Curbs is also the subject of a homo-erotic cult based in south-east London lead by a O. A Mortimer and a L Glover

Comments

• Options
    So good they named him twice
  • Options
    Good about time now he can come back to the valley and rescue us :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Good about time now he can come back to the valley and rescue us :-)

no way he took us as far as he could
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Good about time now he can come back to the valley and rescue us :-)

no way he took us as far as he could
    ah but now he can take us back there Oohah lol I really don't see why you hate him so much ;o)
  • Options
    lol dazzler .... you know me!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Good about time now he can come back to the valley and rescue us :-)[/quote]

no way he took us as far as he could[/quote]

I'd settle for seventh in the Premiership again!
  • Options
    Alan who?
  • Options
    Varney gone, Curbs a free man again......the conspiracy theory rears its ugly head again...?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Surprised Brazil haven't snapped him up
  • Options
    It was to boring being a safe well run well managed top 14 premier team under curbs...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rescue us? He could buy us now!
  • Options
    Llewellynn who...?
  • Options

On Talksport just now Richard Keys has just stated that Curbs told him Saturday that the West Ham fans do not like him.

Interesting he is hated by his boyhood club's supporters but seen as a legend accross the Thames at the Valley.
  • Options
    To put what Richard Keys said in context he reported that Curbs said that West Ham fans don't like any of their managers and the last one they did was John Lyall.
  • Options

On Talksport just now Richard Keys has just stated that Curbs told him Saturday that the West Ham fans do not like him.

Interesting he is hated by his boyhood club's supporters but seen as a legend accross the Thames at the Valley.
    Seems to be fairly accurate. These are the comments at the time of this article of a Hammer-supporting friend of mine:

neither of these two (Ferdinand and McCartney) now get in the Sunderland side and earned us nearly 10 mil in sales, what are they worth now? Should not of got a penny. Dyer and Ljungberg cost us 30million and they came to the club because of him. He claims he had final say on the players that came and went meaning he has to take responsabilty for the crap he bought. Davenport Nigel Quasi Boa Morte all are his bad buys and cost us a fortune - Now he's bleeding the club dry because the board lost confidence in his judgement/needed the cash, he alone will cost the club somewhere in the region of 50mil in wages, transfer fee's, pay outs ect...
    You are a mug Curbishly and no team in their right mind will employ you...
  • Options
    West Ham have a real problem. They are perceived by many (including their fans) as being a bigger club that I think they can realistically be. They have only finished in the top eight of the top division five times since 1975 (37 years), and three of those seasons were between 1997 and 2002 when they had a group of players that came through their youth side at the same time and Redknapp was allowed to spend millions that they didn't have (something he's done everywhere he's been). The fall out of that spending (including the £18m they eventually sold Rio Ferdinand for and the £11m they sold Frank Lampard for) led to the relegation in 2003.

Historically you will not be thanked for any less than finishing top half in the Premier League and playing an attractive style of football. With the resources they have available that is only possible with a huge amount of luck. The 'Academy of Football' has produced fewer stars in recent years since the top clubs have learned that having massive youth set ups saves millions on transfers.

Even with a big stadium (35,303 makes Upton Park the 14th biggest in the country) they are not able to afford the type of football they desire (unless they want to be relegated playing pretty football, of course). This is before you factor in their huge debts.

It is no surprise to me that Curbishley is not liked by the West Ham fans. He played the wrong sort of football, he failed to finish above 10th and went on to sue the club owners after he left.

The fact that in the first full season after he left they finished 17th and the following season went down says a lot about his achievement finishing 10th in 2008 after keeping them up against all the odds in 2007.
  • Options

Seems to be fairly accurate. These are the comments at the time of this article of a Hammer-supporting friend of mine:

neither of these two (Ferdinand and McCartney) now get in the Sunderland side and earned us nearly 10 mil in sales, what are they worth now? Should not of got a penny. Dyer and Ljungberg cost us 30million and they came to the club because of him. He claims he had final say on the players that came and went meaning he has to take responsabilty for the crap he bought. Davenport Nigel Quasi Boa Morte all are his bad buys and cost us a fortune - Now he's bleeding the club dry because the board lost confidence in his judgement/needed the cash, he alone will cost the club somewhere in the region of 50mil in wages, transfer fee's, pay outs ect...
    Conveniently forgetting the money he saved West Ham by keeping them up after Pardew was sacked.
  • Options

Conveniently forgetting the money he saved West Ham by keeping them up after Pardew was sacked.
    The comments were taken from a thread entitled "Curbishley - biggest c**t in football" so I think it's safe to assume that it was not an entirely unbiased comment :)

• Options
    Coming from that neck of the woods and a family of Hammers it's very true that WH fans don't and have never liked him, despite his efforts.

Just like they don't like Allardyce either and, bizarrely, both my brother and my old man were saying on Saturday that now they are up the board need to get someone else in i.e. Paolo. Typical Hamsters who expect them to be playing like Barca, 'cos that's the WHU "way".

Saturday was a horrible day all round, watching two London rivals steal a result, particularly those two teams.
  • Options

Even more interestingly, they rate Pardew who took them to a cup final and we hate him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must admit to being a closet West Ham fan.They did win us the World Cup in 1966 don't you know.
  • Options
    A friend of mine said same thing - they should sack Alladyce cos he does not play west ham style football - I am at a loss what is west ham style football .....??????
  • Options
    A friend of mine said same thing - they should sack Alladyce cos he does not play west ham style football - I am at a loss what is west ham style football .....??????
    According to Allardyce, it's...losing!! ;-)
  • Options
    They liked Zola as manager ???
  • Options
    Give em Dowie I say.....................
  • Options
    I must admit to being a closet West Ham fan.They did win us the World Cup in 1966 don't you know.
    Yeah but they lost us the last World Cup - funny how the Spammers never mention that!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    According to this banner which was on display on Saturday they didn't win us the World Cup. They won it for them, "our cup" [sic]!!!

• Options
    Deluded fools. Don't they realise if Greaves would have played, we'd have won it in the 90 mins...........................