Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone on here a manager or been a manager of a team?

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Just interested to hear your take on motivating players to play to their best.
My only experience is working with kids and school teams, and getting them motivated is rarely a problem, they are all desperate to get on the pitch! And they normally give their all.
The team I've got at the moment is probably the best of the bunch, some little erberts in there, but when they put on the school shirt they become everything you could ask of a bunch of kids.If somehow their commitment and desire could be transferred to our current Charlton lot, you'd want to follow them to the end of the earth.
Pards clearly made an initial impact and quite a few of the players rallied. But 4 games on, and we seem to be back where we started. Anything to do with Bent's injury/ possible sale in terms of morale?
I still don't know whether it is a case that we are simply not good enough, it seems to me more that our players don't need to perform. They are all wealthy before they have done anything these days.
How do you motivate someone consistently who has it all whether win or lose?
It is beginning to look as though some of our players have just not got the personal desire to be the best, whoever is in charge.

Comments

• the mindset of some of our current players might be not right but when you look at someone like giggsy he's won the lot with man utd but he still wants more. i really do believe that 3/4 of the team are just average championship players and that's unfortunately where we are heading and the early hunger that was shown in pard's first 2 games has disappeared (same with curbs at west ham)
  • It's a difficult thing - motivation.

Roy Keane mentioned in a recent interview that when one of the first things that a player asks when he's looking to sign him is "What's the financial package" he begins to think "do I really want this player?"

Curbs took a lot of stick for not playing people who he'd, allegedly, fallen out with. Maybe this was one of the things that kept the team performing to a reasonable, well at least adequate, standard. If Pards begins to do the same thing, dropping players who don't perform or want to play for him, he'll get the same kind of criticism that Curbs got when he dropped Euell and Konchesky.

At the end of the day (groan) Pards will be the one who must motivate the team. I hope the Board and terraces will support his actions, whatever they may be.
  • So do you reckon the honeymoon period is already over for Pards? That some of them are testing the water to see if he means what he says, a bit like you used to with a new teacher?
    Find it all pretty baffling to be honest, if you are a professional footballer being paid a load of money doing something you presumably love, why wouldn't you play your heart and soul out every game?
    In years to come as a player isn't it the thing you look back on, how good must it be for old players like Killer,Wenty, Kins Clive etc to come back to a hero's welcome at the Valley.
    Yeah the money these days must be great, but to become a legend at your club must be the best indicator if you meant anything and made your mark in the game.
    Just don't think some players see it like that any more.
  • unfortunitly Jon thats the way football has gone it's no longer a sport but just a business. I was talking to our mate Garthy yesterday who believe it or not follows Macclesfield now (although still charlton at heart) as it's proper root football and he said how all their fans were saying yesterday how bad the attitude of the staff etc at Chelsea was compared to Div 2.
  • It's just a theory but I beleive that many players at the top level will be very flaky confidence/motivation wise. The vast majority of them will have gone the majority of the pre-professional football career being successful and being told that they are fantastic. They then start playing pro and find that not only are they not as successful but they are not as fantastic as they had been told. Managing how they respond to this will be difficult. if you can get a player through the first couple of seasons with their confidence and motivation intact then I think they player will be far more successful in the long term.
  • [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]I was talking to our mate Garthy yesterday who believe it or not follows Macclesfield now (although still charlton at heart) as it's proper root football

Talk about out of the frying pan, into the fire!
  • Here's a line from Pardew's post-match chat with the press which shows just how hard the job is, though...
    Charlton boss Alan Pardew insists he will spare his side an ear-bashing despite their desperate FA Cup third-round capitulation to League One Nottingham Forest.

Pardew is convinced no good will be served by staging a ruthless inquest into the City Ground clash, which Forest breezed after first-half goals from Junior Agogo and Grant Holt.

Instead Pardew will urge his players to think positive as they prepare to resume their unlikely battle to claw themselves out of the Barclays Premiership drop zone against Middlesbrough next week.

Pardew said: "They are delicate specimens in terms of their confidence and I am not going to be too harsh on them. They need to quickly wash away the negativity they have in their bodies otherwise we aren't going to make it.

"It is only going to be about what we do from now until the end of the season that determines our future. I am going to have to look for strong characters who are going to take responsibility and play.

"Next week is a massive game for us and I feel we are going to have to have a performance against Middlesbrough that re-ignites the flame we had started to ignite in the Fulham and Villa games."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/01/07/SOCCER_Forest.html&TEAMHD=soccer
  • If that is true, then the two good performances under Pards may also be due to them having been at home.
    I dunno.
    If they just get out there and give it their all, most fans will give them their full support win or lose.
    We just don't want to see Ben Dover and Roger Mee out there.

COME ON U REDS