Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chester v Wrexham postponed on police orders & that could be the end for them

Chester's clash with local rivals Wrexham on Sunday is off after it emerged the police have yet to be paid for policing previous matches.

"Policing is funded by public monies," a Chester Police statement read.

"Chester City previously went into administration. As a result money owed for previous games was not recovered.

"It would be wrong to incur additional costs by bringing in extra officers unless the Football Club is willing and in a position to meet those costs."

It is the second fixture in a row Chester have not fulfilled following Tuesday's abandoned Forest Green match.

The statement continued: "Chester Police have met with the management team of Chester City Football Club on several occasions, and specifically with the aim of resolving the planning of the Wrexham match.

"The club has had considerable notice of the policing requirements for this match. "

It is considered in these circumstances that spectator safety cannot be guaranteed and that there is a serious risk of injury or harm

As a result, and due to the fierce nature of the rivalry between the two sides, Trading Standards officers have served a prohibition notice on the club, prohibiting the opening of the Deva Stadium to spectators.

"Quite obviously, with all the history attached to past meetings of such great rivals, playing the match without policing inside the ground would present an unacceptable risk,"said Andrew Rees from Trading Standards told the Football Conference website.

"It is considered in these circumstances that spectator safety cannot be guaranteed and that there is a serious risk of injury or harm to spectators."

This latest development follows on from a series of incidents to hit cash-strapped Chester this season, culminating in Tuesday's late abandonment.

The trip to Forest Green was called off less than three hours before kick-off after the club's players refused to get on the team bus in protest at their lack of payments over the last three months.

Supporters Direct, a group who work with supporters trusts, has called on the Football Association to help shut Chester, in its current form, down.

The statement read: "The news that Chester City FC will fail for the second time in two days to fulfil a fixture surely signals the end for the club.

"Whilst the end of Chester City FC in its current guise may seem like a tragedy, it is not.

"We call on the FA to do what it can to pull the plug and enable a new supporter-owned club to rise from the ashes so the story has a happy ending.

"We have also written to the FA chairman Lord Triesman today to express this view.

"Indeed fans of Chester have known for months that it is only a matter of time, and have already en-masse made the decision to boycott matches, and back a reformed club.

"The winding up of Chester City will provide Chester City fans and City Fans United (CFU), the supporters trust, with the chance to reform their football club as a democratically owned, community football club."

Comments

• Options
    Or maybe a new beginning.
  • Options
    I thought last season how it could have been worse, we could have gone through what Chester went through and been relegated after giving 2 clubs a 17 point head start, then start the following season in non-league with a point deduction.

If they start again they'll be 3 divisions below the conference, sometimes you have to take a step back before you can take a step forward.
  • Options
    in a club like chester could be a new chance,bigger clubs its a disaster
  • Options
    This is where i'm sometimes at odds with the Supporters Direct movement etc. Things don't go well then its ok jack, well start again as AFC blah.

More effort should be made to protect, save and maintain our existing club structures.
  • Options
    we would lose our fa cup honours if that happened,like wimbledon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]This is where i'm sometimes at odds with the Supporters Direct movement etc. Things don't go well then its ok jack, well start again as AFC blah.

More effort should be made to protect, save and maintain our existing club structures.

Don't think that is what they are saying.

Rather than having a series of crooks running and destroying the club bit by bit better to have a democratically run club that can start moving forward.

This isn't a case of "oh, it's not going well, let's jack it in" but a last resort.
  • Options
    Didn't AFC Wimbledon get the cup honours and relevant Wimbledon stuff back?

Franchise Dons had to give it back I seem to remember?
  • Options
    nope neither have it,why should they afc wimbledon is new club and mk are nothing,think merton council or something hold them
  • Options
    There's truly a crisis in the game.

Tip of the iceberg and all that.
  • Options
    went chester as a kid,got beat bad i think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the game that is,and by my dad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]went chester as a kid,got beat bad i think

Think we lost there 4-0 in about 1973.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]went chester as a kid,got beat bad i think

Think we lost there 4-0 in about 1973.

We did, I was there ..... the old Sealand Road ground, I believe.
  • Options
    must be wrong i was not even born
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]must be wrong i was not even born

Didn't we play them again in 1980-81 ....?
  • Options
    prob,just rember being beat there bad,maybe chesterfield or something.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]prob,just rember being beat there bad,maybe chesterfield or something.

Yeah, I know what you mean ...... Chester or Chesterfield, same thing.

;o)
  • Options
    we did indeed play them in 80-81 season oggy,lost four nil,kinda right,a beating but i thought it was seven nil.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]we did indeed play them in 80-81 season oggy,lost four nil,kinda right,a beating but i thought it was seven nil.

No 7-0 was Luton away :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]we did indeed play them in 80-81 season oggy,lost four nil,kinda right,a beating but i thought it was seven nil.

No 7-0 was Luton away :-)

Didn't Brighton and Burnley stick seven past us too?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Didn't Brighton and Burnley stick seven past us too?

Everyone did.

Ah, good old days, eh ....?

;o)
  • Options
    Chester City's Blue Square Premier results have been expunged after they decided not to appeal against their Football Conference expulsion.

The move has resulted in Oxford United overtaking Stevenage Borough at the top of the table by a point, although they lose one of their two games in hand.
  • Options
    Officially wound up

Gone
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sad news, wouldn't wish it on anyone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Sad news, wouldn't wish on anyone.

The sadder thing is that this won't even register on the radar of most fans of Premiership clubs and the media who fail to realise that most clubs are on borrowed time unless the authourities can get hold of the game again. More and more of this to come unfortunately.
  • Options
    Sad news indeed.

How old is The Deva Stadium? When we played them in 1980/81 season, it was Sealand. I remember it well as down one side they had an impressive stand, built from the proceeds of an FA Cup tie against Man city.
  • Options
    It's a real shame and football should be ashamed of itself. I hope they can do an 'Aldershot' and rise again. Already there is talk of them forming a 'Phoenix' club to replace the club as it now stands. A very sad day for football.
  • Options
    It's a real shame.

Article to follow on a separate but related topic. Don't want to take this one off-topic
  • Options
    Because of £26,125 in unpaid taxes.

That's almost literally one days wages for Terry, Lampard etc.

Shocking.
  • Options
    very sad