Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shops you no longer see

Comments

• Higgins and Jones (where may you ask?)
    Yorkshire Grey (sorry PBS)
  • Has anyone mentioned John Menzies?
    And Martins? Was a small chain of newsagents from memory.
    David Greig was the one I remember as a kid it used to have these pots or cans on wires above your head and they used to whizz round the shop never knew what for, carrying money I guessed at the time.
    Was there a Liptons or was that a brand?
    I'm beginning to feel older by the minute on this thread...which come to think of it is exactly how this ageing business works ;-)
  • Cuffs of Woolwich
    Mr Byrite
  • Borders bookshop.

Several Computer repair shops seem to have gone kaput.

Doggy Style (a poodle/dog salon in Kingston - this one could lead onto a new thread about fab shop names.)

not forgetting C&A (Got one of their suits in the wardrobe but can't get into it at the mo.)
  • Male Call, the place to get your farahs. Didn't they kit the teams out in the 80s.
  • edited February 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]
    not forgetting C&A (Got one of their suits in the wardrobe but can't get into it at the mo.)[/quote]

You kay have one of their suits in the wardrobe, I've got one of their staff in my bed!!!! I was the saturday porter and she was the saturday receptionist in Lewisham C&A's about the time they had the "Man at C&A" Ad campaign. Celebrate 30 years marriage and 35 years of going out this year .. now just before Valentines day isn't that romantic!!

I don't know if any one here knows Paul Hines but he worked there too, full time I think, last time I saw him was in the away end at Old Trafford when we won!!
  • Ready Snacks....
  • A Bender burger!

Superb
  • edited February 2010
    Wavy Line

162661864_6e1856c679.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• silver lounge bexleyheath
    Garlands Bexleyheath thinks it was the place with toy railway track in and was called something else before Richardsons ? too long aago and too many beers
  • Phillips in Dartford - cracking little shop that was.

So many Subbuteo teams.
  • Mercury TV and electronics in Forest Hill, Do It All
  • ooo yes Phillips great shop an aladins cave of goodies......and opposite thinkKola beds is was a great liitle book shop and of course Kerrs the school outfitters sho
  • Queensway/Harris Carpets/Harris Furnishings/General George Carpets/Ross Carpets/Mad Max Carpets/Carpetland/Brown Bear Furnishings/Poundstretcher....Times Furnishing which someone mentioned was taken over by Harris Furnishings in 1979. I nearly bought Booers in 2005...sad to see the owners pack up without passing the legacy on.....nearly 100 years of history.
  • Telinoz- you nearly bought booers?
    charlton sponsorship potential there.
  • There was a little shop in Soho I used to visit many years ago, strange place, used to be put money in a slot and shutters used to rise and reveal naked women, god I miss that shop.
  • Love the way everybody mentions the same shops over and over again ..... own up, you've only read page 4 of this thread, right?

:o)

Can't believe everybody's overlooked C & A.
  • Fads, Granada, Soccer World
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Can't believe everybody's overlooked C & A.

was just about to put them. It was about time someone did.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Prime Time Video, havent seen one for years.

Weird you say that because there's been one in Blackheath for years but it closed down this week.

Good job too as I've had a £14 outstanding fine for the last 3 years!
    I hope that wasn't what finally put them under...
  • [cite]Posted By: dansmudge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Prime Time Video, havent seen one for years.

Weird you say that because there's been one in Blackheath for years but it closed down this week.

Good job too as I've had a £14 outstanding fine for the last 3 years!
    I hope that wasn't what finally put them under...

I met Vic Reeves in that shop, many, many moons ago when he used to live up Shooters Hill way.
  • Yes mate i miss those modeling shops in Soho. Could never find the airfix glue though ? God knows how things always seemed sticky ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Yes mate i miss those modeling shops in Soho. Could never find the airfix glue though ? God knows how things always seemed sticky ?

LOL
  • Mace (sort of like Londis/Costcutter)
    Vantage (cheapo Chemists)
    Green Shield Stamps
    Shoppers Paradise
  • The Charlton club shop in a caravan/trailer in the car park at The Valley, behind the old Grandstand.

You could buy old programmes, scarves, and a tiny enamel metal badge.
    That was more or less all it sold.
  • Oggy dont forget the plastic penants were the lettering had fallen off before you got home !
  • gateways supermarket and hoskins newsagent