Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops you no longer see

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Penfolds Perm[/cite]MAYNES... It was like an indoor market on Welling corner where all the staff used to wear fingerless woollen gloves.

I remember Maynes in Welling ..... half the store was set up on the pavement outside and under big blinds.rolled out over them.

Ajax Records (where I bought my first record) next to the Granada cinema (where I had my first back row snog) on Bellegrove Road.

Arthur Cooper off-licence (where I bought mt first under age alcohol).

David Greig's in Eltham High Street (where my Nan used to buy ham on the bone, and delicious blackcurrant jam).

RACS Royal Arsenal Co-op

The Woolwich Equitable where I had my first job.

Watneys and Ind Coope pubs (no loss, mind you).

Oh, not forgetting C & A in Lewisham where I bought my Crombie coat in 1971. :o)
  • Options
    Loads of Wimpy's around. Woolwich has one and the one in Dartford has just been done up.

Anyone remember Starburger?
  • Options
    www.dennisthebutcher.co.uk now relocated to Bexley Park where the old mental hospital used to be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Blinkant[/cite]Anyone remember Starburger?

Swear there was one in Woolwich...or was that Jenny Burger?
  • Options
    the Pen Shop, Church Road, Bexleyheath
  • Options
    What about the little watch repairers by New Eltham station? He used to work all hours.
  • Options
    Mental hospitals...
  • Options
    FADS

Maltese Maria -- well she had a "shop" sorta soho way .
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Blinkant[/cite]Anyone remember Starburger?[/quote]

Swear there was one in Woolwich...or was that Jenny Burger?[/quote]

There was a Jenny Burger near the Market (where the DLR is now)

and the Starburger was down near the Waterfront.

I think there is one in Plumsted still but i'ts called StarBar now
  • Options
    Isn't it nice to hear the old people going on about the old day, what's changed, all the old shops and that.

Probably not as scary for them as thinking about the modern world with computers and space travel and all that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Old Bill shop bottom of Shooters Hill
  • Options
    Spud U Like

New Cross Building Society

Joe Lyons tea shops
  • Options
    Kennedy's are definetly no more. The best sausages around. Apparently he didnt want anyone ruining the recipe so refused to pass it down.

However there's a new company that have started and they're called Ken and Eddies and apparently they've somehow managed to get hold of the recipe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Old Bill shop bottom of Shooters Hill

At Locksbottom where the Orpington road joined the A21, the police station had a pub either side.
  • Options
    that tiny tobacconist near the old cinema in Sidcup High Street.
  • Options
    ABC pictures..
  • Options
    The Gaumont cinema on Eltham Hill ....... talking of which, does anybody rememember the poster boards advertising the next film with the cinema's name embossed at the top of the frame, placed on fences and walls in random locations?
  • Options
    The catford gun company
  • Options
    Penge Angling shop in Eltham
  • Options
    Nandos, Costa Coffee and Starbucks, never see any of them in British high streets.

For those claiming that butchers have gone, head to Rye Lane or Electric Avenue and bring a nose peg.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    woolworths :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]woolworths :-)

You forgot C & A
  • Options
    Beano's

Cheapo Cheapo's
  • Options
    No a shop, but was in the Red Barn last week and the sweet bloke came in. Havent seen one of those in a pub for yonks!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]and the sweet bloke came in.

Must have been a Pink Lion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]and the sweet bloke came in.

Must have been a Pink Lion.

I was gonna call him the candy man!
  • Options
    Wasn't there a fast food chain called huckleberries in lewisham?
    also, not a shop but anyone remember the bloke who used to ride round eltham (and probably other areas) on a motorbike selling toffee-apples from the side car?
  • Options
    Jolly Green Giant Toy Shop on Bugsby Way. any1 remember that? going back about 15-20 years! would be where river island, h&m and outfit are now!
  • Options
    was it a wendies after huckleberrys?
  • Options
    Beejams (sp) frozen food shop -used to one in dartford