Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Apple Tablet - iPad

It's here people... Apple Tablet

Comments

• Options
    Looks nice but, its just a bloody big Ipod, I'll stick to my laptop for the time being
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]Looks nice but, its just a bloody big Ipod, I'll stick to my laptop for the time being

Correct. It says:

"The iPad is in effect a giant iPhone which can do just about everything the phone can do but may provide a better way of watching video or playing games."
  • Options
    apple tablet
    are they like pear drops?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]Looks nice but, its just a bloody big Ipod, I'll stick to my laptop for the time being

Correct. It says:

"The iPad is in effect a giant iPhone which can do just about everything the phone can do but may provide a better way of watching video or playing games."

so what's the point?, if you realy wanna watch something....watch it on your tele !, to big to fit in your pocket and to small to be a proper laptop!!....still I spose gadget freaks will snap them up!!
  • Options
    If you want to know what a dwarf feels like using an iPhone - buy an iPad
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can't have my breakfast without reading a newspaper at the same time. I am spending £30 or £40 a month on newspapers even though I only read about 5% of the content. I would never get use to reading on-line versions of newspaper on smartphones or laptops at the table or even on the train. If the UK newspapers provided copies of their daily printed papers (not special on-line versions) on the Ipad that I could hold and flick through pages almost like it was a real newspaper I might be tempted.
  • Options
    It's a case of brain dead design by Apple. It has the same baffling design decision as the iPhone, i.e. I can't listen to music (you know, the thing that has powered Apple's rise over the last decade) whilst doing anything else. Want to browse the web whilst listening to music, sorry, you can't because Apple have decided that nobody would want to do that.
  • Options
    oRffH.jpg

Think this picture says it all really!
  • Options
    That picture would actually be far more useful, I could do 4 things at once, and it supports functionality missing from the iPad (GPS, ability to make phone calls)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I can't have my breakfast without reading a newspaper at the same time. I am spending £30 or £40 a month on newspapers.

That's a lot of newspapers. What do you have for breakfast?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i wouldnt really call 'razzle' a newspaper
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]i wouldnt really call 'razzle' a newspaper

Didn`t know you knew Red_in_SE8 ads !! ??
  • Options
    For what it is the iTab is very disappointing and an opportunity lost. Still no flash support, no multitasking. I think it really is a lost opportunity for Apple. Sure the fanboys will be out on day one but for the rest of us, well I can't see it being, well, useful.

It'll be interesting to see when the Chrome O/S is launched and what devices are available. I think Apple may well have a white elephant on their hands.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]It's a case of brain dead design by Apple. It has the same baffling design decision as the iPhone, i.e. I can't listen to music (you know, the thing that has powered Apple's rise over the last decade) whilst doing anything else. Want to browse the web whilst listening to music, sorry, you can't because Apple have decided that nobody would want to do that.

that's bizarre Andy, as I'm doing exactly that right now on my iPhone - listening to music whilst writing this...
  • Options
    Yep, think you're wrong there re the Iphone Andy, and I suspect you are re the Ipad too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]i wouldnt really call 'razzle' a newspaper

Actually, that is another useful app. Especially on a Hi Def screen!
  • Options
    Apple will never flash support on it's mobile devices, it murders battery and processors, and flash is virus ridden now adays.

HTML 5 and CSS is where it's at
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I can't have my breakfast without reading a newspaper at the same time. I am spending £30 or £40 a month on newspapers.

That's a lot of newspapers. What do you have for breakfast?!

A decent daily newspaper cost at least £1 Monday to Friday, £1.50 on Saturday and £2.50 on Sunday. Plus I always like to buy the News of the World on Sunday as well (for the football of course). That adds up to £10 per week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]Yep, think you're wrong there re the Iphone Andy, and I suspect you are re the Ipad too.

I may be wrong on the iPhone (I've heard it said it's only 3rd party apps that can't be multitasked), but I'm pretty sure all the reviews of the iPad today have said no multitasking full stop.

It's a ridiculous state of affairs when a brand new, top end gadget is worse performing than computers from a decade ago. There are a huge list of missing items on the iPad and it's a real missed opportunity. I'm not an Apple basher, I have a macbook sitting next to me here on my desk, and it's great, but the iPad could have been great, instead it looks decidedly mediocre to say the least.

There are a lot of Android and Chrome OS tablets due to be announced and released this year. You can bet all of them will support flash, all with have GPS, all will have SD and USB slots, all will have built in cameras and all will have user changable batteries.
  • Options
    If that is true, it will indeed be ridiculous. I heard multitasking was out, but also thought that was the line with the Ipone too, yet music is an exception. If music isn't on the Ipad, then I won't buy it. Not that I would have done anyway :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]It's a case of brain dead design by Apple. It has the same baffling design decision as the iPhone, i.e. I can't listen to music (you know, the thing that has powered Apple's rise over the last decade) whilst doing anything else. Want to browse the web whilst listening to music, sorry, you can't because Apple have decided that nobody would want to do that.

don't want to burst your bubble but I'm on my iPhone now listening to music and posting on the site so don't base your argument on things you don't actually know (sorry don't mean that to sound harsh)
  • Options
    It looks to me like a bigger version of the iTouch, and it would be great to have a bigger screen for the purposes of watching "movies", internet etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]Yep, think you're wrong there re the Iphone Andy, and I suspect you are re the Ipad too.

I may be wrong on the iPhone (I've heard it said it's only 3rd party apps that can't be multitasked), but I'm pretty sure all the reviews of the iPad today have said no multitasking full stop.

It's a ridiculous state of affairs when a brand new, top end gadget is worse performing than computers from a decade ago. There are a huge list of missing items on the iPad and it's a real missed opportunity. I'm not an Apple basher, I have a macbook sitting next to me here on my desk, and it's great, but the iPad could have been great, instead it looks decidedly mediocre to say the least.

There are a lot of Android and Chrome OS tablets due to be announced and released this year. You can bet all of them will support flash, all with have GPS, all will have SD and USB slots, all will have built in cameras and all will have user changable batteries.

Totally agree - I love Macs - I really want an iMac but this just seems to be a bigger cousin to the iPod touch. I can't see it taking off unless they add something to the spec.

I'd love my iPod touch to be able to view downloaded programs from iPlayer. Sometimes Apple are a little too restrictive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]

don't want to burst your bubble but I'm on my iPhone now listening to music and posting on the site so don't base your argument on things you don't actually know (sorry don't mean that to sound harsh)

No problem, I don't have an iPhone, so my points are based on hearsay and what I've read of reviews. Quick question though, does the music still play if you're using a third party app (like IM for instance), or if you're using IM, do you have to log out (or have it automatically close and disconnect) in order to use any other 3rd party app?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]

No problem, I don't have an iPhone, so my points are based on hearsay and what I've read of reviews. Quick question though, does the music still play if you're using a third party app (like IM for instance), or if you're using IM, do you have to log out (or have it automatically close and disconnect) in order to use any other 3rd party app?
    Just tried that on mine (well not IM, but a game and a few other apps) and it seems fine on most apps except one. Probably fine with most except certain (older?) ones.
  • Options
    Sorry. I forgot that its only gold star posters that are allowed one.
  • Options
    Couple of things

1. iPhones do multitask, just on Apple core apps, for games, developers can link there app into your iPod and you can play music from there, if a developer decides the soundtrack of the app is more important, then blame the developer.

2. Flash is a shitty old technology, so why are people upset

3. Bet a few £ that multitasking is on iPhone 4.0, and the iPad is still a work in progress
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sorry. I forgot that its only gold star posters that are allowed one.
    Or for those who don't know how to whisper properly?
  • Options
    i'd buy it!