Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

American Addicks?

Any American Charlton Fans out there? I live in Chicago and there is a pretty decent fan base out here. Where else in the US are there avid Charlton supporters???

Comments

• I live quite close to Washington...
  • Long-time director Mike Stevens lives in Chicago.
    There are a few of us in Massachusetts & Rhode Island.
  • I met a lovely couple based in New York when i was out there (watch Newcastle at home out there) and of course there is newyorkaddick whom I have not met.
  • AmericanAddick - i am the son of long-time director Mike Stevens, im his son Alan. There are a bunch of fans here in Chicago that support CAFC. I have a few friends that are big time supporters out of Worcester, MA.
  • Can you see if Obama wants to invest please?

Cheers
  • I'm from the Chicago area (Aurora). Went to a lot of games in the 06-07 season thanks to studying in Canterbury and have been trying to keep up with the team since then. Living in DeKalb, Illinois right now.
  • Welcome guys, great to have you contributing on here.

Behind the UK, the United States has been our most frequent traffic source over the last month (historically it has been Canada or Australia), broken down in order by the following regions:

Pennsylvania

California

District of Columbia

Illinois

Iowa

New York

New Jersey

Maryland

Arizona

(not set)

Connecticut

Massachusetts

Colorado

Florida

Texas

Virginia

Georgia

Minnesota

Ohio

North Carolina

Tennessee

Utah

South Carolina

New Hampshire

Washington

Oregon

Indiana

Rhode Island

Michigan

Wisconsin

Kentucky

Kansas

Idaho

Missouri

Alabama

Nebraska

Maine

Arkansas

Louisiana

New Mexico

Mississippi

Vermont

Hawaii

Oklahoma

Nevada
  • Addick 16: I met your Dad the night before the Greatest Game: a number of expat Addicks had flown in from various places and we met in the Royal Oak. I was in The Bahamas at the time and put a case of Kalik beer behind the bar.

Unbeknown to us the directors had heard about our meet and Mike turned up with invitations to the first post-Wembley party with the team which was held in a TV studio just round the corner from the stadium.

So I got to shake Super Clive's hand and had a very brief conversation with Richard Murray who was very excited and kept saying "it's f...ing brilliant" which I was quite impressed with at the time.

There were two choices of drinks: champagne or Budweiser, so it wasn't too hard to go for the bubbly!
  • I believe New York Addick is back in the UK now.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was interested to see how high Arizona was in the rankings last month...I expect my Christmas trip to Tucson accounted for most, if not all, of that traffic!
  • I live in Connecticut but originally from Blackheath.
  • Originally from Chicago, but now reside in Maryland and work in DC. No sensible reason for being a supporter. Have never met another Charlton fan in the area and the only person I think has recognized the shirt is Paul Robson.

Robson's current side, Crystal Palace Baltimore, has announced that they are unaffected by the parent club's troubles. Nevertheless, I think Charlton Athletic Baltimore has a better ring to it and would increase the chances of public funding for a footie-only stadium in the city.
  • [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]AmericanAddick - i am the son of long-time director Mike Stevens, im his son Alan. There are a bunch of fans here in Chicago that support CAFC. I have a few friends that are big time supporters out of Worcester, MA.

Alan,
    Say hello to your dad.
    Did he tell you that I met one of your former soccer teammates in a diner in Queens, NY during the US Open tennis? I was wearing a Charlton home shirt, and he recognized it, identified himself as a Charlton fan, and we had a nice chat. Told your dad about it, and he knew who it was (although I can't remember his name).
    Two of the writers that regularly cover MLS's New England Revolution -- Peter Gobis (Attleboro Sun Chronicle) and John "Jocko" Connolly (Boston Herald) are both Charlton fans. They have Charlton caps, which draw a stare from Stevie Nicol, the Revs manager and ex-Liverpool star, when worn.
    Doug
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Welcome guys, great to have you contributing on here.

Behind the UK, the United States has been our most frequent traffic source over the last month (historically it has been Canada or Australia), broken down in order by the following regions:

Pennsylvania

California

District of Columbia

Illinois

Iowa

New York

New Jersey

Maryland

Arizona

(not set)

Connecticut

Massachusetts

Colorado

Florida

Texas

Virginia

Georgia

Minnesota

Ohio

North Carolina

Tennessee

Utah

South Carolina

New Hampshire

Washington

Oregon

Indiana

Rhode Island

Michigan

Wisconsin

Kentucky

Kansas

Idaho

Missouri

Alabama

Nebraska

Maine

Arkansas

Louisiana

New Mexico

Mississippi

Vermont

Hawaii

Oklahoma

Nevada

Thats all very well AFKA, but can we have the list in order of amount of traffic in proportion to the individual states population? Would Alaska then get in the top 10?
  • Thats probably all my mates from Penn State!...converted them and it appears job well done.
  • edited January 2010
    I spent 5 years in Chicago (hence the name) up until July 2008. I am now in Bermuda training hamsters to run faster to keep CL running smoothly :-)

In my 5 years I never met one Addick who lived in the city. Are you in the city Alan or suburbs? This was to my utmost dismay and I spent many an early Saturday or Sunday morning in pubs watching Charlton on the box on my own. There is an Addicks fan called Scott who lives in southern Illinois who I know via my blog (Chicago Addick) but have never met.

Certainly other than American Addick, New York Addick (now back in the UK) and myself appeared to be the only US based Addicks on CL back in the day, but it is great to see so many more now.

I have always been interested to know how your Dad got involved in CAFC.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Georgia

That was probably me when I was in Atlanta a couple of months back .....!

;o)
  • KillerHales - Im glad to hear you were able to booze it up lively on the greatest Charlton win of 'my time'. I wasnt able to get to Wembley for that match but listened to it intently on the radio.

AmericanAddick - yes i know my friend who you are talking about. he was a teammate of mine when at age 12. We took a few Chicago based teams overseas to England and played against local London teams. Back in the late 90's we were able to get on the Valley pitch during a halftime vs Sheffield Wednesday and take pk's against legend Bob Bolder... i missed mine wide right...

ChicagoAddick- I was raised in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, but i have a flat in the West Loop of the city of Chicago right now. Right by Chicago St. and Halsted St. There is one main pub where i like to watch some football in the mornings at Red Lion Pub on the North Side. My father got involved with Charlton around 1986. He was raised in SE7. Mike bought shares of the club after his business started booming here in Chicago. Company = American Nameplate. His main goal was to get the Valley back and they accomplished that. That day was one of the happiest days in his life! Today he is not on the board, but he did serve a lengthy term of about 25 years.
  • ChicagoAddick- I was raised in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, but i have a flat in the West Loop of the city of Chicago right now. Right by Chicago St. and Halsted St. There is one main pub where i like to watch some football in the mornings at Red Lion Pub on the North Side. My father got involved with Charlton around 1986. He was raised in SE7. Mike bought shares of the club after his business started booming here in Chicago. Company = American Nameplate. His main goal was to get the Valley back and they accomplished that. That day was one of the happiest days in his life! Today he is not on the board, but he did serve a lengthy term of about 25 years.

I have a place just east of you across the river on Kingsbury and Huron. I was more a Gingers man myself for the footie. Your Dad should feel very proud as well as happy. Welcome to CL.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm reading this from my hotel in New York City, just off Times Square - so one more view from New York but it should count as a Canadian view. AFKA what are the Canadian province stats? Alberta must be No.1 !!
  • ChicagoAddick - used to read your blog when I was still in Aurora, would always mean to see if I could come catch a game with you but was always stinking working on the weekends...being in college still means I work almost exclusively on the weekends. Now, of course, that'd be a bit more expensive of a prospect...
  • I'm near Baltimore, Maryland. First game I went to was the famous 7-6 win over Huddersfield. Grew up in Forest Hill, looking forward to moving back some time.
  • I live in Indianapolis Indiana originally from Kidbrooke. I first lived in NY/NJ area for 25 yrs came out here 8yrs ago. There is a nice bar downtown called the Chatham Arms they have live soccer on all day they are mostly liverpool and man utd supporters. when I go in wearing one of my charlton shirts they ask who are they haha thats how I know they are all johnny come latelys.Be glad when all this superbowl crap is out of the way your average joe cannot even afford to park downtown next week let alone go to the game. I was a good friend of jimmy farmer giles he stayed at the clarendon hotel in blackheath when i used to work there those were good times. Of course i think derek hales was the greatest thing since sliced bread and remember going on a lot of lewis coach trips to watch them play happy days!!.

• Am hoping to change my user name to TampaAddict in the next few months
  • Be glad when all this superbowl crap is out of the way your average joe cannot even afford to park downtown next week let alone go to the game.
    what is the going rate for a seat at the Grid Iron Cup Final?
  • Think I heard this week that the actual ticket prices started from $800 up, a lot of dollar.

Excited to spend my first Super Bowl Sunday in the states next weekend.

(Wore my brand new away shirt to the Midtown Atlanta Soccer game this morning....pretty sure Charlton were represented for the first ever time!)
  • edited January 2012
    There's a small town in Texas (just outside Houston) called Addicks....I kid you not.
    Always thought it would be fun to contact some of the inhabitants there and set up a dialogue with some of the locals.
    Maybe CL could do it on a kind of 'semi official' basis?
  • There's a small town in Texas (just outside Houston) called Addicks....I kid you not.
    Always thought it would be fun to contact some of the inhabitants there and set up a dialogue with some of the locals.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hla04

Lets set up a twinning with the valley...
  • There's a small town in Texas (just outside Houston) called Addicks....I kid you not.
    http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hla04

Lets set up a twinning with the valley...
    Seriously Bart & Lookie. I realise you have enough on your plate with running the site but this might be quite a fun thing to do.