Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lane Hoggers

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
I was delighted to see the overhead boards on the M20 stating "Don't hog the middle lane". It's about time that the authorities cracked down on those drivers who won't follow the Highway Code instructions on lane discipline i.e. that you should always drive in the left lane unless overtaking.

I often wonder why an extra lane was added to the M2 as so many drivers won't use the inside lane. I find it infuriating when I have to move from an empty lane 1 to lane 3 or 4 to overtake some idiot who wants to sit in lane 2 or 3, irrespective of the traffic around them.

When driving home from Charlton on the M20 last Tuesday, the left lane was completely empty for long stretches, yet I constantly had to move into lane 3 to overtake idiots who refused to move out of the middle lane. I could easily have 'overtaken' them on the inside but I would have been in trouble had I done so. On occasions when I have decided to 'undertake' rather than move across three lanes, these people look at you as if you've committed a murder, but they don't seem to realise that if I have been able to overtake on the inside, then THEY ARE IN THE WRONG LANE.

If people are too scared to change lane then they have no business driving on a motorway.

Comments

• Options
    I can't be ars*d to move from Lane 1 to Lane 3 to overtake the lane hoggers - I just carry on with my sedate speed in lane 1 and if I happen to "undertake" them, so be it !
  • Options
    You should try driving in Cornwall, indicaters are an optional extra, especially on roundabouts!
  • Options
    lorries are the worst culprits. Side by side for miles on end.

Whilst I agree middle lane drivers are annoying the reason many do it is that they cannot get out of the inside lane when kamikaze drivers come down slip roads with no intention of giving way to anybody. If people know the road and there are a lot of junctions some will stick in the middle lane.

My personal bugbear is tailgaters. I just slow right down and that really pisses them off.
  • Options
    Yes, I certainly agree with Len about the tailgaiters. Also people who don't use their light's when it's getting dark or raining.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Whilst tailgating isn't right - what do you do when you come to a lane hogger who won't overtake and won't move over? Sometimes tailgating and flashing lights at them is the only thing that will get them to move.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]lorries are the worst culprits. Side by side for miles on end.

Whilst I agree middle lane drivers are annoying the reason many do it is that they cannot get out of the inside lane when kamikaze drivers come down slip roads with no intention of giving way to anybody. If people know the road and there are a lot of junctions some will stick in the middle lane.

My personal bugbear is tailgaters. I just slow right down and that really pisses them off.

If I'm driving at the speed limit I deliberately hog the outside lane.
  • Options
    Are you sure your speedo is accurate?
    Most read high. If you have a satnav set it to you warn you when you exceed 70mph, you'll probably find that your speedo is nearer the 75-80 mark before it goes off.
    People may be legitimately catching you up and you are lane-hogging below the speed limit.
    Of course, you could just pull in anyway and avoid the self imposed road rage :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Addick Addict you don't have the right to decide how fast everyone else drives and you are the sort that enrages others. If you have overtaken someone you should pull in and if someone wants to drive faster than the speed limit that is their decision. not yours.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]Whilst tailgating isn't right - what do you do when you come to a lane hogger who won't overtake and won't move over? Sometimes tailgating and flashing lights at them is the only thing that will get them to move.

No problem with a courteous flash of a light to let somebody know you are there sometimes to prompt pulling over if the road is clear. If we are honest we have all disappeared into our own little bubble at times on a long motorway run.

What annoys me, and what I meant above, is when there is no room to pull over, as can happen on the M25 at busy times for example, and yet the people behind persist in driving right up your jacksy. They are obviously too thick or too incompetent as drivers to assess the overall traffic conditions.
  • Options
    If everyone moved to the left after they've overtaken and concentrated on the road, their driving and their mirrors then a flash of the lights wouldn't be necessary! I do agree however that if the road is busy and you have traffic in front of you, then tailgating shouldn't be done and a safe distance should be left between each vehicle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]Addick Addict you don't have the right to decide how fast everyone else drives and you are the sort that enrages others. If you have overtaken someone you should pull in and if someone wants to drive faster than the speed limit that is their decision. not yours.

I'm sorry but if I'm driving at the legal speed limit and if I choose to drive in the "fast" lane and if that then stop others from potentially causing an accident then that is my decision.

And it is not yours or any one else's right to cause an accident by driving too fast becasue speed limits are there for a very good reason.

Or have you never heard of the saying "speed kills"? And pile ups are never casued by people driving too fast are they?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Most accidents are not caused by speed - they are caused by bad driving. They are not the same thing. Driving at the speed limit in heavy rain or fog may be legal but it is dangerous. Driving above an abitrary speed limit in good conditions is not dangerous in itself - unless of course you come across the person who thinks they can drive in any lane they like and won't move over even if the road is clear for them to do so.

What is to be gained by blocking a lane? If I want to get past you it does not affect you if you pull over to let me pass. I have seen people like you on many occasions and the frustration you cause is far more dangerous. I may come up behind you but not be able to get past you, but someone else may not be so patient and they will overtake you on the inside and an accident may be caused. It isn't correct to 'undertake' but if you had got yourself into the correct lane in the first place it wouldn't have been necessary. Do you ever look in your mirror to see the queue forming behind you when you decide to block a lane?

I believe that a good driver drives at the speed suitable for the conditions prevailing - that may be much lower than the actual speed limit if conditions are poor, but if there is a nice clear road, what harm is there in driving above the speed limit?

I agree that if you do have an accident, you are more likely to be hurt at a higher speed than at a lower one. but in the majority of cases it is not the speed that has caused the accident.

When driving on the A2 from Falconwood to The Black Prince the speed limit is 50mph - the traffic tends to bunch up and people are constantly braking and speeding up - this is dangerous. When you get to the National Speed limit part of the road and traffic moves faster, the bunching up disappears and everything moves along much more freely.
  • Options
    I agree, no matter what speed you're going in you go in the free lane on the left hand side.

Get over and drive properly, dont make me undertake you cos you're in the wrong lane. Ive given up now so just flash the person til they move over, if you cant drive properly on the motorway then dont go on them at all.

The outside lanes are for overtaking only. Don't take the law into your own hands and block others.
  • Options
    The only trouble Craig, is that they are so locked away in their own little world that they probably don't even see you flashing them!
  • Options
    they tend to move when you bump them
  • Options
    me14 if your in such a rush leave a bit earlier next time
  • Options
    I never said I was in a rush - I was replying to a poster who thinks it is okay to hog a lane if he is driving at the speed limit. It isn't okay to block a lane so that no one else can pass you.
  • Options
    I can't believe anyone can argue with you ME14, the outside lanes are for overtaking only. Stupidity to be there for any other reason.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]I never said I was in a rush - I was replying to a poster who thinks it is okay to hog a lane if he is driving at the speed limit. It isn't okay to block a lane so that no one else can pass you.

If he is driving at the speed limit, how fast are you going to overtake?
    Do agree with you on hogging lanes though, it can be annoying.
    Strange how different it is in other countries. USA, Germany and Italy all humans and all completly different.
  • Options
    It's a power thing, I'm not letting that fecker overtake me' type of attitude.

People who lane hog are morons, simple as. What is there to be gained from winding someone else up by not moving over?

Tailgating is also moronic, and undertaking is caused by lane hogging more often than it is impatience.

On the continent if you move into the outside lane to go round like 2 vehicles they will leave the indicator for the far side on (the left one) so the bod behind who is motoring along at a higher speed knows they are not hogging and will be moving back inside once they have done the overtake they wanted to do.

I see some truly retarded driving day in day out in this country and much of it from people who look like they think they know better.

Bit of savvy goes a long way as does expecting the unexpected from every road user.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't drive a Ferrari so don't drive at 100 mph, but when conditions are okay, I don't see anything wrong in driving at 80 mph. 70 mph is a ridiculous limit for motorways on many occasions. As I said previously, it is the conditions which are prevailing that should dictate maximum speed.
  • Options
    I don't care about people driving in lane 2 if they're driving at a reasonable pace (75-80mph). Let's face it - driving in lane 1 is a pain in the arse most of the time on a busy motorway (lorries, horse trailers, upcoming junctions etc). It's the prats who sit in it going 65-70 that annoy me
  • Options
    If you have overtaken you move over to the left as soon as you can no matter what speed you are doing, some prefer driving on the motorway at a slower speed and while that can be annoying you have to allow it unless it is dangerously slow. Those who don't move over cause hold ups to those who want to drive faster, fair enough if you think "I am doing the speed limit" but the point is you should move over to the lane that is empty unless you are overtaking.

While lane hoggers do annoy me I think worse than that is those who tap the brakes unnecessarily, that causes the majority of tailbacks in our country, the sooner people learn better accelerator control the better but I know that will never happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]... It's about time that the authorities cracked down on those drivers who won't follow the Highway Code instructions on lane discipline ...
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]...I don't see anything wrong in driving at 80 mph. 70 mph is a ridiculous limit for motorways on many occasions....
    So in other words, everyone else has to bide by the rules, but you'll pick and choose which ones you fancy. Bang goes the moral high ground that you were trying to occupy.
  • Options
    Heh heh

This is gonna descend into 'this rule, that rules blah blah blah'

No matter how it's dressed up, sitting in the middle lane is driving like am arse. Driving right up behind someone is driving like an arse, deliberately trying to annoy other road users is driving like an arse.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite
    If I'm driving at the speed limit I deliberately hog the outside lane.
    Because you take great satisfaction in annoying people.
    Why take it on yourself to be the Highways police.
    Re-inacting CHiPs from your youth?
    Pathetic.
    Think of other ways to channel your community policing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]Addick Addict you don't have the right to decide how fast everyone else drives and you are the sort that enrages others. If you have overtaken someone you should pull in and if someone wants to drive faster than the speed limit that is their decision. not yours.

I'm sorry but if I'm driving at the legal speed limit and if I choose to drive in the "fast" lane and if that then stop others from potentially causing an accident then that is my decision.

And it is not yours or any one else's right to cause an accident by driving too fast becasue speed limits are there for a very good reason.

Or have you never heard of the saying "speed kills"? And pile ups are never casued by people driving too fast are they?

Selfrighteous p""t are two words that come readily to mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]... It's about time that the authorities cracked down on those drivers who won't follow the Highway Code instructions on lane discipline ...
    [cite]Posted By: ME14addick[/cite]...I don't see anything wrong in driving at 80 mph. 70 mph is a ridiculous limit for motorways on many occasions....
    So in other words, everyone else has to bide by the rules, but you'll pick and choose which ones you fancy. Bang goes the moral high ground that you were trying to occupy.

Agree.

always seems odd that you can't drive on the motorway as a learner yet once you have passed your test you can.

Some extra motorway tution for all new drivers and those who get points on their licence while driving on the motorway would be a good idea in my opinion.

And yes, move over to the driving lane and leave the two overtaking lanes free whenever possible.
  • Options
    Lane Hoggers, what position does he play? Outside right?
  • Options
    Drive up and down the M20 every day from Shooters Hill to Maidsone and "middle lane" hoggers drive me insane !