Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

History repeating itself

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Jimmy Seed, a longstanding outstanding manager, left (sacked) and the club was relegated shortly after.

We then had nearly thirty years of gradual decline with any half decent players that could have got us back to the old first division being sold. Hinton, Bailey, Bonds, Glover, Campbell, Hales, Flanagan, Elliot, Walsh P just to name a few amongst many.

Curbishley came in and although the likes of Lee and Bowyer were sold there seemed a strategy, namely getting The Valley back to scratch, so it was more acceptable then. Arguably after that the only player Curbs was FORCED to sell was Parker.

I fear that by selling Darren Bent, probably cheaply, we are destroying our best chance of either maintaining our Premiership status or getting back up there. Goal scorers do not grow on trees particularly at Charlton.

This news depresses me more than I can say and probably other old timers because, sadly, we've seen it all before and it leads to only one place -decline and in these more ruthless times the inevitable decline could be terminal.

Comments

• Options
    i was thinking the same thing myself len, was it exactly 50 years ago we were relegated ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i was thinking the same thing myself len, was it exactly 50 years ago we were relegated ?

Yep, 1956/57.
  • Options
    When Len's depressed, we know we're in real trouble!
  • Options
    agree somewhat but disagree also. Even if we stay up I reckon Benty will be off in the summer. If he's not available for the next four/six weeks then by the time he's back we are relegated already unless we can bring in a couple of strikers NOW. We have no money so the only way we are going to get two new strikers is by selling Benty. Catch 22 situation. Benty goes now and we get two strikers in we MAY stay up. Benty stays, returns late Feb by which time we are addrift and we go down anyway. Don't wanna do it but I reckon it may be for the best.
  • Options
    disagree, if we stay up and particularly if the squad is turned around, I reckon he would stay.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2007
    Len, i'm very surprised by you of all people to have such a negative outlook on things.

1. The club is still very well run despite the recent goings on after the past 4 months, the decline will not be terminal.

2. We've coped without goalscorers in the Premiership and lower before and in the CCC we have always been able to get goalscorers now and again (Mendonca, Hunt, Whyte etc)
  • Options
    So what did it feel like when it happened to you, Len? -:)
  • Options
    Thanks Len that reminds me I've supported Charlton for 49 years and yes you are right history could repeat itself. We have only done well when we've had good strikers - Leary, Summers, Daisey, Glover,Kenning,Tees, Treacy, Horsfield, Flanagan, Hales, Melrose, Williams, Leaburn, Mendona, Hunt.

With the pressures of the modern game it is far harder to find a good striker, why risk it when we have the best and if we are relegated sell him in May, if we aren't then keep him - what do we have to loose by keeping Benty?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]So what did it feel like when it happened to you, Len? -:)

Very good:-)

The real Len Glover left us for Leicester City in 1967 for £80,000 which was a British record transfer fee for a winger at the time.

He has a reputation amongst the Leicester fans similar to Killer's reputation with us which perhaps gives an idea of how good he was.

Wingers were out of fashion at international level when Len was at his peak. Otherwise he would have played for England without a shadow of a doubt.

A great, great player and my boyhood hero.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    it broke my heart when we sold lenny glover...he was the first great player to be sold once i'd become a charlton fan (i'd been to the valley plenty of times in previous seasons but have never gotten smitten) so when lenny got sold, i think after we'd pulled off a great home win where he'd played a major roll and things were looking up, it hurt...but the funny thing is, by the end of the season, there was team in place and the next season 1968/69 was a great one that nearly paid off big time...sometimes, selling a great player isn't such a bad thing if it helps you build a team...and give me a team rather than a great player, every time...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This season I am feeling the same as when Charlton announced we had to leave the valley. That feeling of there is nothing we can do about it - Not even demonstrating on the pitch at half time by laying a wreath or demonstrating after the match will do anything. These players are not worthy of wearing our shirt, they dont care apart from picking up their wages. How can they sleep at night knowing this? Dont they know the pain that us fans we are enduring? I can live with the fact that we are not good enough but the players gave it their all but this is totally embarrassing and we are the laughing stock of all the leagues.