Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Dora the Explorer and the lost city of Gold soon...can’t wait
  • Captain Marvel wasn't as good as Black Panther but was equally as groundbreaking, this time in having the lead super-hero a woman who didn't need a man to define her, so for that I'll cut it some slack.

Capernaum was very well made, the main kid is remarkable, but I couldn't say I enjoyed it, it was all too grim.  I'd still recommend anyone to see it as long as you weren't suffering from mental health problems, and I'm not being flippant about that.
    Capernaum is an amazing film and despite its storyline there is plenty of humour in it. I found it very moving and uplifting in the way the main character battles to survive. It definitely will move you to tears.
    Even allowing for the whimsical and life-affirming parts, I still found it grim.  However, it was still one of the best films I've seen in quite a while.
  • Spitak, on with two shorts as part of the Crystal Palace International Film Festival.

Of the two shorts, Less Heat in Arizona was by far the better film but Blackout was still good.

Spitak follows a guy who returns to Armenia from Moscow to look for his wife/girlfriend (it's never made clear which) and daughter following an earthquake.  Unlike Capernaum, there's no humour to lighten the mood but it's not missed.  Highly recommended, and the music is by the lead guy from System of a Down.
  • Captain Marvel wasn't as good as Black Panther but was equally as groundbreaking, this time in having the lead super-hero a woman who didn't need a man to define her, so for that I'll cut it some slack.

Capernaum was very well made, the main kid is remarkable, but I couldn't say I enjoyed it, it was all too grim.  I'd still recommend anyone to see it as long as you weren't suffering from mental health problems, and I'm not being flippant about that.
    Capernaum is an amazing film and despite its storyline there is plenty of humour in it. I found it very moving and uplifting in the way the main character battles to survive. It definitely will move you to tears.
    Even allowing for the whimsical and life-affirming parts, I still found it grim.  However, it was still one of the best films I've seen in quite a while.
    Strangely despite all the desperation in it I didn't find it grim. The battle of the central character to keep going against all the odds was for me very uplifting - it certainly moved me to tears. There are very few films that hit you like this one did and its definitely one of the best films I've seen.
  • Fisherman's Friends

A very enjoyable family film with a good script and easy to watch. A film about the importance of community and it has humour and sadness. 7.5/10
    Just seen it, terrific British film, great cast and superb music. 

I must admit I am biased as I love the band. 

9/10, almost a 10. 
  • Sisters Brothers

A surreal western about two brothers who are paid assassins who trek across America in search of a fortune hunter involved in the gold rush.
    It may not be to your taste if you like traditional Westerns but I thought it was brilliant and very atmospheric. It gets across the anarchy of the time and the two actors, John C Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix, who play the brothers are excellent.
    9/10

Dumbo

Much darker for me than the cartoon version and a lot better than many of the reviews suggest. It's a film about being an outsider and I think it explores that in an interesting way with the usual Tim Burton visuals.
    7.5/10
  • Sisters Brothers

A surreal western about two brothers who are paid assassins who trek across America in search of a fortune hunter involved in the gold rush.
    It may not be to your taste if you like traditional Westerns but I thought it was brilliant and very atmospheric. It gets across the anarchy of the time and the two actors, John C Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix, who play the brothers are excellent.
    9/10

Dumbo

Much darker for me than the cartoon version and a lot better than many of the reviews suggest. It's a film about being an outsider and I think it explores that in an interesting way with the usual Tim Burton visuals.
    7.5/10
    I really loved the ending of The Sisters Brothers, surprising and refreshing for a gritty western.
  • Sisters Brothers

9/10

Dumbo

7.5/10
    I really loved the ending of The Sisters Brothers, surprising and refreshing for a gritty western.

I really enjoyed The Sisters Brothers.  I assume the book it's based on was all about overturning western tropes as it's certainly not your typical western movie.  In the brutal, lawless west the main characters are surprisingly sensitive for cold blooded murderers.  John C Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix are both excellent as brothers who clash, drive each other up the wall, but still stand by each other through everything. 

The gunfights capture the random, 'WTF is going on' panic of a point blank shootout with unreliable, inaccurate revolvers that have to be half disassembled to reload quickly.  Nobody is taking any prisoners!

I loved the ending too.  Not what you'd expect at all.
  • Missing Link

A very clever animated film about a Victorian explorer desperate to make a name for himself. Loved the animation and the script is excellent - helped by a very strong cast. Hugh Jackman plays the explorer and there's plenty for both adults and children to laugh at.

Not sure how the film will do at the box office but it's worth a watch.  8/10
  • Wild Rose

A story about an ex-con in Glasgow who wants to make it as a country singer and to get to Nashville. Jessie Buckley is excellent in the title role and she has a very good singing voice - she's one of the best British actresses to emerge in recent years. Julie Walters plays her mother and the two work well together.
    It's very watchable and quite sentimental - I really enjoyed it. 8/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:
    Sisters Brothers

9/10

Dumbo

7.5/10

I really enjoyed The Sisters Brothers.  I assume the book it's based on was all about overturning western tropes as it's certainly not your typical western movie.  In the brutal, lawless west the main characters are surprisingly sensitive for cold blooded murderers.  John C Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix are both excellent as brothers who clash, drive each other up the wall, but still stand by each other through everything. 

The gunfights capture the random, 'WTF is going on' panic of a point blank shootout with unreliable, inaccurate revolvers that have to be half disassembled to reload quickly.  Nobody is taking any prisoners!

I loved the ending too.  Not what you'd expect at all.
    Spot on review of The Sisters Brothers. I really enjoyed it, a western with a twist but if you want an old fashioned western it wont disappoint you either. A good 8/10 for me.
  • Little 

Saw this with my daughter. One of the worst films I've ever seen - unfunny and unpleasant. 1/10
  • Anyone else doing Avengers tonight? 
  • Little 

Saw this with my daughter. One of the worst films I've ever seen - unfunny and unpleasant. 1/10
    Took my daughter and her mate to see it. As I’m presumably not the target audience, I expected to be bored, (and was - I thought it was pretty rubbish and fell asleep a couple of times), but I expected the girls to enjoy it - but I didn’t hear a peep out of them. Not even a titter. I asked them if they enjoyed it and they said yes, but I’m not convinced. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Anyone else doing Avengers tonight? 
    I hear it is 3 hours and 8 minutes long. Wow!
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Going to see an 8am showing on Friday

One of my highlights of the year this is
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Saturday eve for me, third wheeling my mate and his new chick :) cant wait, for the film that is!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Saturday eve for me, third wheeling my mate and his new chick :) cant wait, for the film that is!
    Watching it tonight on a big fat recliner seat. In 3D which I'm not fussed about but not easy to get tickets 
  • Saw it yesterday. Obviously no spoilers.

As a single film I don’t think it matches the level of infinity war in terms of how it flows. Even though it’s over 3 hours certain parts do feel slightly rushed and lacking in emotion. The writing of one particular character annoyed me too.

That being said, it’s an absolutely incredible film. I’ve never seen a movie theatre as reactive as it was last night. There are a lot of genuinely funny moments amongst some sadder ones. I can’t count on one hand the amount of people I heard crying during the movie.

im jealous of anyone who gets to see that again for the first time. It’s almost perfect.
  • edited April 2019
    If there’s one word I wouldn’t use to describe any moment of that film it’s ‘rushed’! But if the character you’re talking about has bad hair, then I totally agree with you on that. 

I thought it it was an incredible feat of filmmaking, I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it as intense as I’d hoped (although it’s also goofier than I expected for the middle section). 

No film has ever paid off 20-odd previous episodes before so it’s a unique experience and I look forward to seeing it again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wild Rose

A story about an ex-con in Glasgow who wants to make it as a country singer and to get to Nashville. Jessie Buckley is excellent in the title role and she has a very good singing voice - she's one of the best British actresses to emerge in recent years. Julie Walters plays her mother and the two work well together.
    It's very watchable and quite sentimental - I really enjoyed it. 8/10
    Saw it last night. Initially dragged along as the GF is into country music, but actually really enjoyed it.

Both Jessie and Julie are very good and Jessie's singing is excellent. Really interesting story and well performed.
  • edited April 2019
    Re. Wild Rose - I found her to be relentlessly annoying. I didn’t know why I should root for her. I liked how the events of the film gave her something. And the shunning of an obvious outcome was good. 

I also found the the rich woman incredibly unconvincing. Both in performance and writing. 

Still, it’s a solid little film. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Re. Wild Rose - I found her to be relentlessly annoying. I didn’t know why I should root for her. I liked how the events of the film gave her something. And the shunning of an obvious outcome was good. 

I also found the the rich woman incredibly unconvincing. Both in performance and writing. 

Still, it’s a solid little film. 
    The rich woman was a really weak character - the actress who played her always seems to play this type of part. Detracted from the film.
  • Mid90s

A skateboarding film about the attempts of a young boy to establish himself in a gang. Set in 90s LA it explores what it's like to be a teenage boy.
    Enjoyable to watch and I liked the soundtrack. The main actor Sunny Suljic is very good and its the debut film as director from Jonah Hill.  7/10
  • Mid90s

A skateboarding film about the attempts of a young boy to establish himself in a gang. Set in 90s LA it explores what it's like to be a teenage boy.
    Enjoyable to watch and I liked the soundtrack. The main actor Sunny Suljic is very good and its the debut film as director from Jonah Hill.  7/10
    This did nothing for me . Jonah Hill should stick to acting . 
  • Mid90s

This did nothing for me . Jonah Hill should stick to acting . 
    I thought it was a promising debut and interesting film - surprised you got nothing from it.
  • Mid90s

Saw it yesteday, thought the ending was going to go into a final part but it it ended isntead. Was a decent film overall. The soundtrack songs were good but the music made for the film was abit jarring at times, the long jangly bass notes ect.
  • The Guilty. Throughout 90 mins, you're following a suspended police officer in a dispatch centre in real time. Very, very good.
    Tense.
  • edited April 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I hear it is 3 hours and 8 minutes long. Wow!
    There’re about twenty-five characters, each needing their five minutes, so that’s around two hours used up without any plot development.

That said, I’m looking forward to it. 
  • Went to Screen25 in S Norwood to see Border. It’s by the same guy who did Let The Right One In and is also a love story about someone on the fringes of humanity. It’s quite hard work, but in a good way, with moments of sweetness.

The venue is soulless and I can’t recommend it.