Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    We watched Tau on Netflix the other night. Got absolutely panned by critics but held out attention throughout.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Roma - A black and white film in a foreign language which is basically a self-indulgentfest about the directors childhood and the first scene is 4 1/2 mins long with no dialogue  and is just someone washing the floor. Why wouldn't it win a BAFTA? 
    Thought it was a great film but with limited appeal. Too slow for most viewers by modern standards plus it's black and white and not in English.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Can You Ever Forgive Me A biographical drama about the impecunious biographer, Lee Israel (Melissa McCarthy) who, aided and abetted by her friend and drinking buddy, Jack (Richard E. Grant), became a serial forger of letters from deceased authors and playwrights. An interesting and unusual story, I found it humorous, well scripted and very well acted by the co-leads. Overall, an engaging and entertaining film - 8/10.
    Thought this was a brilliant film - Mc Carthy is excellent as is Grant. Funny, moving and an intriguing story - really enjoyed it. 9/10
  • Options
    Saw Green Book this afternoon. To paraphrase a great man, 'It may not be the film of the year, but it's in the top one'.

Seriously fabulous film. Viewing it should be in the national curriculum. 
    It's a Wonderful Life sprang to mind at times.

• Options
    It might not be relevant to latest films, but this list might be of interest for anyone  Having seen and really enjoyed I Am Not A Witch, Tsotsi and Battle of Algiers, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some more of these, if I can find them.

http://www.cinemaescapist.com/2019/02/best-african-movies-list/?fbclid=IwAR03VLEwDd-i6TalCPwDj1W0LdHXRzVSsE5iAiq5MxipAJm9w5HpM-uMfww

• Options
    Widows - was expecting a great film considering the critics reviews but I was a little disappointed with it . It’s not bad but it’s not great either. 7 out of 10
  • Options
    Widows - was expecting a great film considering the critics reviews but I was a little disappointed with it . It’s not bad but it’s not great either. 7 out of 10
    Certainly wasn't as good as I expected when I saw it.
  • Options
    Very late, but I caught Wonder the other night on a recomendation from my daughter. It's the sort of film I always give the swerve, and there were some tough patches in it, but it was a really upbeat film in the end, and came away having thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth a watch (I would guess most people who like these sort of films have probably done so).
  • Options
    Another belated viewing but watched " Lion" on Netflix tonight.

And thought it was brilliant. 

Loved Dev Patel in the title role ( you'll know what I mean if you've seen it)  and the young lad who played him in the first half of the film.

A bitter sweet movie and one that had me in floods of tears by the end. 
  • Options
    Another ‘thumbs up’ for Green Book. Lots of messages there that people today might like to ponder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Green Book a couple of nights ago in the little independent curzon in Clevedon, a lovely old fashioned cinema where they still tear your paper ticket.
    Enjoyed the film - thought it was very well acted, much funnier than I was expecting. It was no 'Mississippi Burning', messages about racism being delivered in a very sanitised way. The cops in the police station were like something out of The Dukes of Hazard.
    I'd recommend it, a solid 7.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Saw Green Book a couple of nights ago in the little independent curzon in Clevedon, a lovely old fashioned cinema where they still tear your paper ticket.
    Enjoyed the film - thought it was very well acted, much funnier than I was expecting. It was no 'Mississippi Burning', messages about racism being delivered in a very sanitised way. The cops in the police station were like something out of The Dukes of Hazard.
    A 9 for me. In my all time top 10. 
  • Options
    Watched Stan and Ollie today with the other half.  Cinematically charming.  The two leads were brilliant.  Enjoyed it immensely.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    IdleHans said:
    A 9 for me. In my all time top 10. 
    Saw it last night - really enjoyed it. A fascinating story and the two lead actors are excellent. 

Donald Shirley who the film was about was an amazing character and seeing the racism of the sixties is pretty galling.

It's a very warm film that has moments of great comedy and is very accessible. 9/10

• Options
    I’ve a feeling as time goes by that Green Book will gain legs and become another Shawshank which became a classic due to word of mouth rather than box office takings .
  • Options
    A Star is Born 

I might break the vulgarity ban at some point here. I don't think I can remember watching a film that has lived up to the hype as much as this. Lady Gaga is obviously already a very gifted singer and this gave her an opportunity to show her capabilities off. For me Bradley Cooper deserves all the recognition that comes his way. 

9.5/10 brilliant film and if you don't end up with something in your eye at the end you have no heart 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    A Star is Born 

I might break the vulgarity ban at some point here. I don't think I can remember watching a film that has lived up to the hype as much as this. Lady Gaga is obviously already a very gifted singer and this gave her an opportunity to show her capabilities off. For me Bradley Cooper deserves all the recognition that comes his way. 

9.5/10 brilliant film and if you don't end up with something in your eye at the end you have no heart 
    Great story and it’s really worth checking out the earlier versions. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Carter said:
    A Star is Born 

Great story and it’s really worth checking out the earlier versions. 
    Now I've seen the latest one I definitely will watch the earlier versions. I'd held back until watching this to keep my mind open. 

Really touching performance by Sam Neil as well 
  • Options
    If Beale Street Could Talk.

Awful film, storyline is ok as is the setting 1970’s Harlem but unbelievably slow, didn’t think the acting was very good either.

Painful!
  • Options

Awful film, storyline is ok as is the setting 1970’s Harlem but unbelievably slow, didn’t think the acting was very good either.

Painful!
    Going to see it this week - had high hopes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really dislike Horror films, so what possessed me to sit through the new Halloween film last night with my missus, and pay £10 for the privilege through Sky Cinema, i don't know. Complete and utter shite.
  • Options
    I really dislike Horror films, so what possessed me to sit through the new Halloween film last night with my missus, and pay £10 for the privilege through Sky Cinema, i don't know. Complete and utter shite.
    They should use your quote on the advertising. I'm with you on disliking horror films.
  • Options
    Love horror, favourite genre. Watched 'What keeps you alive' on Netflix on sat and it was so bad it was good if you know what I mean. Poorly acted and ridiculous on many levels, it was somewhat enjoyable as a comedy. 
  • Options
    They should use your quote on the advertising. I'm with you on disliking horror films.
    I find the whole Genre repetitive and lazy. Its either old houses haunted by a murdered family or a crazed killer with a weak motive. I don't think I've seen an original horror since Saw.
  • Options
    I find the whole Genre repetitive and lazy. Its either old houses haunted by a murdered family or a crazed killer with a weak motive. I don't think I've seen an original horror since Saw.
    Insidious (1 & 2) and the early Conjurings were well worth a watch tbf. Insidious was smart in my eyes and got me watching horrors.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Painful!
    It could just be me @hoof_it_up_to_benty
  • Options

Painful!
    IMO you can keep them relatively high, wasn't quite as impactful as Moonlight, but I thought it was very good.
  • Options

Painful!
    IMO you can keep them relatively high, wasn't quite as impactful as Moonlight, but I thought it was very good.
    Moonlight is one of the best films I've ever seen.
  • Options

Painful!
    Moonlight is one of the best films I've ever seen.
    Seconded. I think it's hard to expect that of Beale Street, but I enjoyed it a lot despite the high bar. I think it has been mis-marketed (or maybe appropriately marketed) as a basic romance, when it's really a family drama about a civil rights and the criminal justice system.
  • Options
    The Kid Who Would be King

A film aimed at children/teenagers that updates the Arthurian legend for a modern audience. Very funny in places and an entertaining film - mixes up fantasy and comedy and touches on a number of themes. I thought most of the cast were very good.

My daughter enjoyed it. 7.5/10