Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    I quite liked Glass...
  • Options

I quite liked Glass...

• Options
    IO......Not one of Netflix's finest to be honest, one of those films that could have been good but failed. Totally miscast too, the female lead looked about 12 years old and I really cringed when the lead actor in his middle 30's took her to bed....maybe its just me. Anyway a poor 4/10....Netflix must do better.
  • Options
    Hunter Killer - A totally ridiculous submarine war movie starring Gerald Butler and Gary Oldman- Nuts but lots of fun . Thouroughly enjoyable. 7 out of 10
  • Options

Mary Queen of Scots is so factually incorrect it makes Titanic look like a documentary.

But it is not a documentary, it's an entertainment film, as was Titanic btw. When will you people manage to tell the difference?
  • Options

Hunter Killer - A totally ridiculous submarine war movie starring Gerald Butler and Gary Oldman- Nuts but lots of fun . Thouroughly enjoyable. 7 out of 10

What did you think of Stan and Ollie? Sorry couldn't find your comments.
  • Options
    Beautiful Boy

A film about drug addiction and the toll it takes on a family relationships. A hard watch but the acting from Steve Carrell as the father and Timothee Chalamet as the son is impressive and it shows how hard recovery is. Based on the memoirs of David Sheff. 7/10
  • Options

We almost agree on this one, id give it only a 6.5/10 due to Oldman thinking this would be a good follow up after playing Churchill. Thouroughly enjoyed it though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stan and Ollie

I’d usually wait for a drama like this to hit home entertainment, but the comments on here made me curious. And I agree with what’s already been said.

It’s astonishingly... gentle. The direction (I really enjoyed the look of it while that opening shot is wonderful) and the two leads make it so. Especially Reilly who was incredible, it’s a rare occasion where I didn’t notice the actor in many of the scenes.

Biopics work so much better when a specific period or incident is depicted, rather than a birth to death linear story, which really helps. The story manages to incorporate some really key elements and does it subtly.

And their impersonations of the two are so spot on. I really like that they weave in some ‘bits’ into their day to day lives. That was a great touch.

6/6
  • Options
    Bird Box, sack of overrated shite.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Bird Box, sack of overrated shite.

Thought it was watchable but nothing more. Think shite is a tad harsh.
    6/10

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Stan and Ollie

I’d usually wait for a drama like this to hit home entertainment, but the comments on here made me curious. And I agree with what’s already been said.

It’s astonishingly... gentle. The direction (I really enjoyed the look of it while that opening shot is wonderful) and the two leads make it so. Especially Reilly who was incredible, it’s a rare occasion where I didn’t notice the actor in many of the scenes.

Biopics work so much better when a specific period or incident is depicted, rather than a birth to death linear story, which really helps. The story manages to incorporate some really key elements and does it subtly.

And their impersonations of the two are so spot on. I really like that they weave in some ‘bits’ into their day to day lives. That was a great touch.

6/6

We're thinking of taking our daughter to see this (she likes the original L&H films). Anything in it unsuitable for a 10 year old?
  • Options
    Colette

The leads were good (although I feel I'm seeing a bit too much of Dominic West at the moment, with his Sunday nights on Les Misérables). I found the film a little one-dimensional but, overall, decent enough entertainment - 6.5/10.
  • Options
    Liked Stan and Ollie. The Favourite not so much. For my wife it was the other way round!
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Stan and Ollie

6/6

We're thinking of taking our daughter to see this (she likes the original L&H films). Anything in it unsuitable for a 10 year old?
    No , all good, nothing to worry about for a 10yr old . She'll enjoy it I reckon.
  • Options
    Just back from Stan and Ollie. Absolutely loved it and at times I felt I was revisiting my youth. I never understand the Oscar/Emmies awards. Both main actors here were authentic and unnaturally like Laurel and Hardy. Superb stuff -thoroughly recommended.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

JiMMy 85 said:

Stan and Ollie

6/6

Nothing unsuitable but I wonder if 10 may be a little young to appreciate it....

It is a great film but poignant.
    I had to watch The Music Box on YouTube when I got home just to stop me feeling sad inside
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Just caught up with Bohemian Rhapsody tonight and I was blown away . If you sit and watch it and pick holes in it you don’t have a heart .
    It’s a wonderful film that deserves to win the Oscar ( but won’t ) and a fantastic leading performance from Rami Malek .
    10 out of 10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

Mary Queen of Scots is so factually incorrect it makes Titanic look like a documentary.

But it is not a documentary, it's an entertainment film, as was Titanic btw. When will you people manage to tell the difference?
    I know the difference numb nuts, the problem is with the viewers that have no grasp of history, thinking it’s accurate.

I’m actually thinking of doing a film about the 1981 Ashes that England lose 3-2. Winning runs scored by Don Bradman, after poor underarm delivery from Monty Panesar. 20/20 format. All for Entertainment purposes.
    Who are these viewers?
  • Options

Just caught up with Bohemian Rhapsody tonight and I was blown away . If you sit and watch it and pick holes in it you don’t have a heart .
    It’s a wonderful film that deserves to win the Oscar ( but won’t ) and a fantastic leading performance from Rami Malek .
    10 out of 10

And Stan and Ollie?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

10 out of 10

And Stan and Ollie?
    Not seen it yet
  • Options

Riviera said:

10 out of 10

And Stan and Ollie?
    Not seen it yet
    Ok. Hope to see it soon. What I really want is to take my Dad. He's 84 and Laurel and Hardy were a massive part of his adolescence. Unfortunately he views any such biopic of his childhood heroes to be uninformed and usually cruel to the subjects by digging up personal stuff. From what I've heard this is a lovely sympathetic film that covers a period of these great entertainers that has otherwise been ignored by biographers.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Sixth Sense was great. Unbreakable was brilliant. I didn’t mind The Village. The rest... they range from abysmal (Last Airbender) to utterly hilariously bad (Lady In The Water or The Happening).

Total agreement. I think The Village is underrated. Unbreakable is maybe the most original superhero movie of all time. I think everyone disses Sixth Sense now because it was so huge at the time. But at the time it was so popular because it was so good. Alas, his stuff since is horrible.
    I enjoyed Signs
  • Options
    G

10 out of 10

I was late to this party too but was taken to the sing-a-long version at The Prince Charles (just off Lie-Sester Square) and the only thing I could add to the mostly great reviews was that during the long hair section you could see that Rami could also play a great Mick Jagger if the role came around too.
    It’s a good film with a great soundtrack.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I know the difference numb nuts, the problem is with the viewers that have no grasp of history, thinking it’s accurate.

I’m actually thinking of doing a film about the 1981 Ashes that England lose 3-2. Winning runs scored by Don Bradman, after poor underarm delivery from Monty Panesar. 20/20 format. All for Entertainment purposes.
    Who are these viewers?
    The ones with no grasp of history. Keep up.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Loved Stan and Ollie 9/10

Bohemian Rhapsody 8/10

Saw Mary Queen of Scots on Monday. I thought it was great, despite any historical inaccuracies. Oddly I find the historical inaccuracies in ‘Bo Rap’ more grating. Perhaps because it’s recent history?

Off to see The Favourite next Monday. I know next to nothing about Queen Anne except that she built great houses.

Btw, I go to the Clapham Picturehouse, but quite a few people boycott the chain because of the owners’ poor treatment of staff. Tricky one, because I’d hate to see my local cinema close down.

Btw Peterloo seemed to disappear without trace, which is a shame.

Off to see Pinter ‘Party Time’ and ‘Celebration’ now. Just slightly off topic.

[Edit: Pinter was great, despite the pillar in the way.]

• Options
    looking forward to seeing 'Vice' next week
  • Options
    Fyre festival docufilm on Netflix.
    Half way through it. In this digital age there must be a fair few chancers out there like this bloke