Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Seeing it tonight mainly just because I haven't been to a film for ages.
    No popcorn for me though, just four tubes of pringles and a bag of crinkly wrapped sweets.

• Options

Widows. Enjoyed this and would recommend. But wouldn't say it's a 'good' film. There were a couple of things I was left questioning and a number of promising areas not explored further, but overall i thought for such an ambitious film, plot wise, it was captivating, and i was impressed.
    As an aside, busy, noisy cinema (cineworld, 02). I would ban popcorn etc at a stroke. Think next time I should go a good while after a release date and avoid the late Saturday showing!

Mate, all cinemas are like it now. Wait until whatever film you want to see has been out for a while and either go in the middle of the day or a Wednesday night
  • Options
    Carter said:

Widows. Enjoyed this and would recommend. But wouldn't say it's a 'good' film. There were a couple of things I was left questioning and a number of promising areas not explored further, but overall i thought for such an ambitious film, plot wise, it was captivating, and i was impressed.
    As an aside, busy, noisy cinema (cineworld, 02). I would ban popcorn etc at a stroke. Think next time I should go a good while after a release date and avoid the late Saturday showing!

Mate, all cinemas are like it now. Wait until whatever film you want to see has been out for a while and either go in the middle of the day or a Wednesday night
    Agreed, that’s when I go.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Only on the periphery, @captainbob. Used to work in marketing/ press/ editorial. Now I just do reviews and press junkets on the side. Not much money in it, sadly. Too many people are happy to do it for free!

@supaclive is your industry man on here.

Thanks, Jimmy. I was partly asking because I'm now teaching GCSE Film Studies at my school and am looking for contacts! I'm trying to get the kids excited in film and have managed to get Skype interviews with a Hollywood producer (smalltime!) and the cinematographer of one of the films that's on the syllabus, both through emailing their agents. The kids liked that but I'm on the lookout for similar experiences. Tom Hardy and Judy Dench didn't reply!
  • Options
    I can help @captainbob if you like.

PM me!
  • Options
    Totally and utterly unnecessary. TS3 had the perfect ending.
  • Options
    I saw Bohemian Rhapsody again on saturday night - in English this time. It just gets better, and the ending was just as emotional.
  • Options

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody again on saturday night - in English this time. It just gets better, and the ending was just as emotional.

I've seen it twice - choked me up both times.
  • Options
    Saw Widows last night in a strangely empty Picturehouse. Really enjoyed it, longish at 130 minutes but it flew by. Never saw the original series on telly, but a good plot with twists here and there, well acted. Particularly liked the blonde, but all the protagonists were good. A solid 7.5.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know its not released yet, but i heard on the radio they have made a movie about pikachu. They have said its more like ted, i have had a look at the review (need to watch a trailer) and can see Ryan Reynolds is playing pikachu lol random.

I am intrigued but will most likely watch it as i grew up playing pokemon and still would play the game now really (i dont for the record)
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Saw Widows last night in a strangely empty Picturehouse. Really enjoyed it, longish at 130 minutes but it flew by. Never saw the original series on telly, but a good plot with twists here and there, well acted. Particularly liked the blonde, but all the protagonists were good. A solid 7.5.

Enjoyed the film - the weakest part was the heist but overall the characters were strong and it flowed nicely.
  • Options

I know its not released yet, but i heard on the radio they have made a movie about pikachu. They have said its more like ted, i have had a look at the review (need to watch a trailer) and can see Ryan Reynolds is playing pikachu lol random.

I am intrigued but will most likely watch it as i grew up playing pokemon and still would play the game now really (i dont for the record)

God forbid!
  • Options
    Just as bad as I imagined .

Who exactly is this aimed at? My teenage kids wouldn't be seen dead watching it. The humour looks like it would go above younger kids heads. Surely this isn't just aimed at adults who used to watch Pokémon ?
  • Options
    I've never played a Pokemon game of any kind, but honestly Beds, I don't think that looks too bad! CGI looks smart at least.

I agree it's unclear who it's aimed at, it certainly doesn't look like it's for under 10s, but the Pokemon audience is absolutely enormous so there must be a demographic in there they've identified....
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Just as bad as I imagined .

Who exactly is this aimed at? My teenage kids wouldn't be seen dead watching it. The humour looks like it would go above younger kids heads. Surely this isn't just aimed at adults who used to watch Pokémon ?
    I watched trailer on lunch and thought it looked alright, might be a load of rubbish but i will watch it whether at the cinema or when comes out on DVD/TV. Although i used to play alot when i was younger so perhaps thats the audience they are aiming for? or youngsters.

Edit- Also to add think of how huge pokemon Go was, it didn't really appeal to me but something so popular you would think its a great idea for a film and will fill it.
  • Options
    Not a new film I know. But ive just watched the most sad/happy film i ever seen. Now it's Disney's CoCo I didn't want to watch it. I was outnumbered. However that was one of the biggest emotional rollercoaster I've even been on. The message is heartwarming. Only just stopped crying.
  • Options
    I'll watch it (Pokémon)

Also Coco is quality but crying... Really :lol:
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'll watch it (Pokémon)

I wasn't crying, I was balling my eyes out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

I'll watch it (Pokémon)

I got teary eyed when I watched it. In my opinion it’s not just the best animated film I’ve seen but one of the best movies full stop.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

I'll watch it (Pokémon)

I got teary eyed when I watched it. In my opinion it’s not just the best animated film I’ve seen but one of the best movies full stop.
    Definitely up there for me. Could watch again and again, and probably cry like a baby again and again
  • Options
    Watched the first half hour of Coco once. Was a bit disappointed, thought it was predictable and stopped watching cos I got distracted. Eventually watched it again a few months later and realised it was ten times smarter than I thought. That ending is amazing.
  • Options
    Fantastic Beasts 2 - Good film, nothing outstanding but entertaining and if you like the HP 'world' then you're bound to enjoy it. Don't want to spoil it but found some of the character development points a bit strange, there are also some very good characters in this new one. Eddie Redmayne is good as the leading man, but his character is so absolutely perfect I don't find him very engaging, he has 0 character flaws it gets a little dull.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Fantastic Beasts 2 - Good film, nothing outstanding but entertaining and if you like the HP 'world' then you're bound to enjoy it. Don't want to spoil it but found some of the character development points a bit strange, there are also some very good characters in this new one. Eddie Redmayne is good as the leading man, but his character is so absolutely perfect I don't find him very engaging, he has 0 character flaws it gets a little dull.

I'm led to believe this character was based on a certain Lifer.....

Stand up, Henners.

:smile:
  • Options
    Saw Fantastic Beasts 2 tonight. I’m finding it really hard to explain why it’s so bloody awful. It looks good, has the right ingredients to be a solid franchise movie. And I agree with @LonelyNorthernAddick that there are some great characters... but I think there are too many of them. I think that’s the root of it’s problems.

There are so many subplots that there’s no drive to what’s happening. The pacing is awful. Sometimes characters just appear in new settings and I didn’t know how or why they got there. And they introduce new people right up to the final act, while others disappear for long stints.

And LNA is absolutely right about character turns that don’t make sense. Because there are so many of them, there isn’t enough time to convincingly sell their changes. Newt doesn’t even have an arc, he’s only just the lead character. Johnny Depp just kills time without furthering the story much until the end.

It’s awful, awful storytelling and I’d be really interested to know whose fault that is.

2/5
  • Options
    Been on an unintentional American indie comedy binge over the past few days.

Private Life was good, Eighth Grade was very good and Hearts Beat Loud was woeful.
  • Options
    I've just seen that the sequel to Lego movie is being released next year, Lego movie I watched almost by accident a few years ago and it blew my mind! Brilliantly sarcastic and cynically funny whilst also being a great story. It's another animated film that is too good for kids. It has some sentimental and emotional charge but doesn't rely on parent murder like Disney do

In case you can't tell, I'm excited about Lego movie 2

• Options
    Carter said:

I've just seen that the sequel to Lego movie is being released next year, Lego movie I watched almost by accident a few years ago and it blew my mind! Brilliantly sarcastic and cynically funny whilst also being a great story. It's another animated film that is too good for kids. It has some sentimental and emotional charge but doesn't rely on parent murder like Disney do

The song 'Everything is awesome' from that film fitted the theme perfectly.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Lego Movie shocked me. I thought it would be crap but i reckon I’ve watched it about 10 times now. Class film.