Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Watched 22 July directed by Paul Greengrass. Very disappointed with it . Considering the dramatic circumstances around the massacre in Norway you’d have thought this would have made a great film but it’s as dull as dishwater. Way too long as well. Perhaps that’s the reason they did a joint cinema and Netflix release last week?

Agree with pretty much all of this. The opening is as horrible as you'd expect for such an event but it's all a bit meh from there. You usually get better from Greengrass too. That said how utterly evil was Breivik.
  • Perhaps that’s the reason they did a joint cinema and Netflix release last week?

That's basically true - Netflix are picking up stuff that studios are making but not releasing (a lot of films can be made and not get a release because the studio don't think it's worth spending any further money on). Extinction and The Cloverfield Paradox are the main examples. Apparently, even a bad film is a good film for Netflix if they have it exclusively.

Also, cinemas HATE sharing release dates. Usually, if they get any hint of a movie becoming available elsewhere inside 90 days of release, they pull the film entirely. I'm guessing 22 July is only showing in independent cinemas.
  • Saw First Man at the weekend which was very good. Difficult to make a movie where the central figure is so emotionally buttoned up and undemonstrative, but I think they generally get the character of Armstrong and the various astronauts right. There is a giant leap of creative license at the end which I'm still not sure sits right with me, it has inferred a massive amount from the tiniest of hints in the book. It was certainly a powerfully emotional moment though.
  • A STAR IS BORN
    I thought the film was really well shot and the performances from both Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga were excellent. It's a promising directorial debut from Cooper and there seems a genuine chemistry between the two actors. The ending is a bit clunky but overall a very watchable film.
    8/10

Captivating performance from both of them. Felt like i was the only person in the cinema at times watching their releationship develop. (until some numpty dropped their popcorn or went to the toilet using their phone as a light WTF) Can't remember the last time I felt so compelled to shout at the screen. keep thinking about it 48 hours on. about the story, and his eyes.
    Seen it twice - even better the second time. Says a lot about fame and the chemistry between the two actors works really well. The supporting cast is very good.
  • A STAR IS BORN
    I thought the film was really well shot and the performances from both Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga were excellent. It's a promising directorial debut from Cooper and there seems a genuine chemistry between the two actors. The ending is a bit clunky but overall a very watchable film.
    8/10

Captivating performance from both of them. Felt like i was the only person in the cinema at times watching their releationship develop. (until some numpty dropped their popcorn or went to the toilet using their phone as a light WTF) Can't remember the last time I felt so compelled to shout at the screen. keep thinking about it 48 hours on. about the story, and his eyes.
    Seen it twice - even better the second time. Says a lot about fame and the chemistry between the two actors works really well. The supporting cast is very good.
    quite a small cast list really too. (apart from the crowd at glastonbury and the other cgi'd crowd scenes) Did absolutely not like the agent guy. it's like they got an unknown english guy and asked him to do his best posh wanky english accent, and turn it up to 11.
  • A STAR IS BORN
    8/10

quite a small cast list really too. (apart from the crowd at glastonbury and the other cgi'd crowd scenes) Did absolutely not like the agent guy. it's like they got an unknown english guy and asked him to do his best posh wanky english accent, and turn it up to 11.
    He was the only thing that jarred - seemed a bit one-dimensional.
  • Unlike previous posters, I admired 22 July very much and found it gripping and very moving. It is sobre and sobering and I thought the way the film concentrated on one victim and pitched his story up against Breivik's chilling rationalisation and justification for what he had done was excellent. It is also a timely reminder that terrorists aren't always Islamic fundamentalists and that there is a very dangerous Alt-Right anti-immigrant movement lurking beneath the surface of European society. I'd like to see it shown in schools.
  • Nadou said:

Unlike previous posters, I admired 22 July very much and found it gripping and very moving. It is sobre and sobering and I thought the way the film concentrated on one victim and pitched his story up against Breivik's chilling rationalisation and justification for what he had done was excellent. It is also a timely reminder that terrorists aren't always Islamic fundamentalists and that there is a very dangerous Alt-Right anti-immigrant movement lurking beneath the surface of European society. I'd like to see it shown in schools.

I havn’t seen it but will at some point. It’s such a difficult subject for any film maker to get right. Horrifically true and not so long ago as to numb it’s horror. How one goes about filling in the gaps in fact and unknown dialogue without impacting on the sad reality ive no idea. Again without the benefit of having seen the film I do wonder if it might have been made a few years too early.
  • Watched A Star is Born with the missus. Very rare we see a film we are equally drawn in by - but we had one at the weekend. Opening scene is fantastic, and the relationship between the two characters is very touching.

Fantastic film
  • Watched A Star is Born with the missus. Very rare we see a film we are equally drawn in by - but we had one at the weekend. Opening scene is fantastic, and the relationship between the two characters is very touching.

Fantastic film

Sat at the front with my daughter who is a wheelchair user to watch this (wheelchair spaces are often situated right near the screen) and have to say the opening footage was pretty overwhelming especially the sound. Watched the film again with my partner and both times found it a pretty striking film especially the relationship between the two main characters.

One of those films I wasn't expecting much of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched Hurricane recently.
    Its WW2, Battle of Britain, the true story of Polish pilots who formed 303 squadron and shot down more of the Hun than any other squadron in the BoB.
    Really enjoyed it..
  • Agree about 22nd July.

Horrific story but this just never really got going for me.
    I think the main problem is unlike Greengrass's United 93, this film started with the attack and then went on from there and it was a bit drab.
  • Agree about 22nd July.

Horrific story but this just never really got going for me.
    I think the main problem is unlike Greengrass's United 93, this film started with the attack and then went on from there and it was a bit drab.

Isn't there another movie on the same subject coming out shortly?
  • Greenie said:

Watched Hurricane recently.
    Its WW2, Battle of Britain, the true story of Polish pilots who formed 303 squadron and shot down more of the Hun than any other squadron in the BoB.
    Really enjoyed it..

This one is my film @Greenie

Solid film, entertaining. Is out on DVD and Blu Ray on Monday in case anybody is interested :-)
  • I went to a bizarre little screening of Operation Red Sea the other night. It was in a dive bar in London, with about 20 incredibly uncomfortable seats, which made me petrified of the 2.5 hour running time.

It's a Chinese action movie (one of the biggest Chinese movies in history apparently), about a platoon (?) of Navy Seals dealing with the evacuation of Chinese citizens from a war town African country. And then it's about stopping some terrorists with a nuke. I think. They don't spend much time explaining stuff. It's basically Call of Duty meets Michael Bay. In Chinese. The structure is EXACTLY like a video game (big action sequence followed by a conversation at HQ followed by big action sequence - repeat 5 times).

It has some impressive explosions. And an impressive amount of explosions. I mean, about 200 explosions. Some crazy deaths and gore. Slow motion bullet stuff. Dodgy but entertaining CGI. All in all, I was entertained. And in physical pain from the seat.
  • supaclive said:

Greenie said:

Really enjoyed it..

Solid film, entertaining. Is out on DVD and Blu Ray on Monday in case anybody is interested :-)
    Top job @supaclive my nephews MIL family was originally from Poland and escaped to the UK, so this film resonated with her in a big way.
    May I ask what was your involvement in the film.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I went to a bizarre little screening of Operation Red Sea the other night. It was in a dive bar in London, with about 20 incredibly uncomfortable seats, which made me petrified of the 2.5 hour running time.

It's a Chinese action movie (one of the biggest Chinese movies in history apparently), about a platoon (?) of Navy Seals dealing with the evacuation of Chinese citizens from a war town African country. And then it's about stopping some terrorists with a nuke. I think. They don't spend much time explaining stuff. It's basically Call of Duty meets Michael Bay. In Chinese. The structure is EXACTLY like a video game (big action sequence followed by a conversation at HQ followed by big action sequence - repeat 5 times).

It has some impressive explosions. And an impressive amount of explosions. I mean, about 200 explosions. Some crazy deaths and gore. Slow motion bullet stuff. Dodgy but entertaining CGI. All in all, I was entertained. And in physical pain from the seat.

It indeed is. I didn't see it though (I don't see Chinese films these days.) I'm surprised it got a screening in the UK.
  • Missed It said:

Saw First Man at the weekend which was very good. Difficult to make a movie where the central figure is so emotionally buttoned up and undemonstrative, but I think they generally get the character of Armstrong and the various astronauts right. There is a giant leap of creative license at the end which I'm still not sure sits right with me, it has inferred a massive amount from the tiniest of hints in the book. It was certainly a powerfully emotional moment though.

Just seen this - thought it was very good. Very quiet, very atmospheric and very melancholy. I thought Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy were both suited to their roles. It still seems incredible that the moon landing took place in 1969.

Can't see this film having a mass appeal given how understated it is.
  • A STAR IS BORN
    8/10

Had a spare couple of hours yesterday, and watched this with great interest.

Outstanding piece of film making from Bradley Cooper, and the chemistry between the two of them in incredible.

However his portrayal of an addict is extraordinary, from the slightly hunched body shape, to the shiny and perspiring skin, you could see the pain and fear etched into his face.

You always had the feeling that he knew his fate, he always knew what his ending would be, no matter what or whom tried to help him.

Agree on the English agent guy, that was a flaw in the movie, as was perhaps too much time spent on her Dad and his mates, which didn’t really add much to the plot.
  • A STAR IS BORN
    8/10

Had a spare couple of hours yesterday, and watched this with great interest.

Outstanding piece of film making from Bradley Cooper, and the chemistry between the two of them in incredible.

However his portrayal of an addict is extraordinary, from the slightly hunched body shape, to the shiny and perspiring skin, you could see the pain and fear etched into his face.

You always had the feeling that he knew his fate, he always knew what his ending would be, no matter what or whom tried to help him.

Agree on the English agent guy, that was a flaw in the movie, as was perhaps too much time spent on her Dad and his mates, which didn’t really add much to the plot.
    I enjoyed it but thought the jump from country rock singer to pop singer with backing dancers was not credible. I felt that was to promote Gaga rather than a true plot development.
    That aside one of the best and most gripping films I've seen in a long time.
  • Sponsored links:

• I watched Apostle on Netflix yesterday

Holy shit it was nasty, the lead actor will probably be someone to look out for, good looking bloke who acted brilliantly with his eyes and head and worked with an atrocious script. Michael Sheen is always good and he was working with bad writing too.

The premise was fairly straightforward but the story was horrible. There are two particularly graphic scenes, one genuinely made me wince where someone got 'purified' by a very unpleasant piece of work and one that featured in the trailers of the lead being fed into what looked like a cross between a meat grinder and a wood chipper.

It wasn't a nice watch, it reminded me of the programme on Sky Atlantic where a shit sorry is committed to camera punctuated with some very graphic and extreme violence and has nothing else of substance about it

it was well shot and the camera work was good. As a film, I wished I hadn't bothered

2/5
  • Carter said:

I watched Apostle on Netflix yesterday

Holy shit it was nasty, the lead actor will probably be someone to look out for, good looking bloke who acted brilliantly with his eyes and head and worked with an atrocious script. Michael Sheen is always good and he was working with bad writing too.

The premise was fairly straightforward but the story was horrible. There are two particularly graphic scenes, one genuinely made me wince where someone got 'purified' by a very unpleasant piece of work and one that featured in the trailers of the lead being fed into what looked like a cross between a meat grinder and a wood chipper.

It wasn't a nice watch, it reminded me of the programme on Sky Atlantic where a shit sorry is committed to camera punctuated with some very graphic and extreme violence and has nothing else of substance about it

it was well shot and the camera work was good. As a film, I wished I hadn't bothered

2/5

Got the afternoon off and nearly started watching that.

Opted for the staircase series instead.
  • Carter said:

2/5

Good choice!
  • Carter said:

2/5

Mate, this is not a film I am on the fence about or one that I would feel bad about influencing anyone not to watch. It's unpleasant, maybe if extremely graphic (but very well shot) scenes of intense violence and human suffering are what you want then maybe skim through until you get to the two scenes I mention which are both towards the end of the film

• Carter said:

2/5

Thought the build up of tension was quite good. Lost its way a bit in the last third. Not bothered by the violence. Considerably less violent than The Raid films Gareth Evans directed. The lead is Dan Stevens of Downton Abbey and Legion fame. I can easily see him being the next James Bond.
  • johnny73 said:

Carter said:

2/5

Thought the build up of tension was quite good. Lost its way a bit in the last third. Not bothered by the violence. Considerably less violent than The Raid films Gareth Evans directed. The lead is Dan Stevens of Downton Abbey and Legion fame. I can easily see him being the next James Bond.
    Yeah he was good, acted really well

I wanted to like it, but the story was poor putting it kindly.

Violence in films doesn't bother me, in this film sadly the extreme nature of 2 scenes are the only parts that made it memorable. You'll know the bit I mean when I say the point of view camera work as the character was being purified was very smooth whilst being grim!

• Greenie said:

supaclive said:

Greenie said:

Really enjoyed it..

Top job @supaclive my nephews MIL family was originally from Poland and escaped to the UK, so this film resonated with her in a big way.
    May I ask what was your involvement in the film.
    Exec producer. Sales agent. UK distributor.
  • Did anyone see Mandy?
    Apologies if already discussed and I missed it?
  • Fumbluff said:

Did anyone see Mandy?

Starring Nicolas Cage?
  • Fumbluff said:

Did anyone see Mandy?

Starring Nicolas Cage?
    Yar