Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Saw Ready Player One the other day as its now been released on DVD

Really enjoyed the film, one of my favourites directed by Spielberg for a while - Loved the whole concept of the story not to mention the homage to some great films / games, almost felt a bit like a modern day version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Options
    Well, the wife took me along to Mama Mia 2...All I can say is that the sunshine was nice, reminding me of my Greek hols in the 70s. Oh and Cher steals it at the end.
  • Options
    The latest Mission Impossible.

Good fun and Sean Harris is great again as the villain.

Not the best of the series but i enjoyed it. Don’t expect an intellectual challenge, just suspend belief, sit back and enjoy the action.
  • Options

Well, the wife took me along to Mama Mia 2...All I can say is that the sunshine was nice, reminding me of my Greek hols in the 70s. Oh and Cher steals it at the end.

I also saw this a few days ago. Pretty enjoyable light entertainment and a good turn by Lily James, although I didn't think it was as good as the first film.
  • Options
    Skyscraper

Starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson, who has his leg blown off in the line of duty, and ends up with a prosthetic.leg.

He retrains as a Buildings advisor, ends up trying to rescue his family from a burning skyscraper (clues in the title) you can probably guess the rest.

I wish ( in an ideal world) there were genuine actors / actresses with actual disabilities given prominent roles in films, seems to be something the industry is lacking..
  • Options

Skyscraper

Starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson, who has his leg blown off in the line of duty, and ends up with a prosthetic.leg.

He retrains as a Buildings advisor, ends up trying to rescue his family from a burning skyscraper (clues in the title) you can probably guess the rest.

I wish ( in an ideal world) there were genuine actors / actresses with actual disabilities given prominent roles in films, seems to be something the industry is lacking..

Why did I read that as a prostitutes leg :smiley:
  • Options

Skyscraper

Why did I read that as a prostitutes leg :smiley:
    Flashbacks?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Saw 'A Prayer before Dawn' the other night, a true story and well worth watching if you like boxing or martial arts (and probably worth a watch even if you don't). Some of the most realistic fight scenes i've ever seen in a movie and Joe Cole (from Peaky Blinders, not the footballer) was superb
  • Options

Saw 'A Prayer before Dawn' the other night, a true story and well worth watching if you like boxing or martial arts (and probably worth a watch even if you don't). Some of the most realistic fight scenes i've ever seen in a movie and Joe Cole (from Peaky Blinders, not the footballer) was superb

I was listening to Joe Cole being interviewed about this. I liked the sound of it and shall be having a watch. I've got Walk Like a Panther to watch later.
  • Options

Doesn't seem to be showing in many cinemas - was hoping to see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018

"annihilation."

Outstanding sci-fi movie with lots of original ideas and casting. Have no idea how this snuck under my radar. Can be found on Amazon.

Thanks for that tip. Excellent film that stands out in a crowded market. Caught it on Netflix.
  • Options
    Caught a few films on long haul flights recently so I will offer in no particular order:

3 Billboards outside Ebbing /(spoiler)
    This wasn't what I expected. I expected a mother distraught by the loss of her daughter fighting for justice against an uncaring redneck sheriff and his posse of helpers. But the sheriff was actually doing the best he could in impossible circumstances. This was true drama, all shades of grey with no real black or white characters (bar the sheriff). Well acted by everyone, and gripping to watch, but a bit too near reality. I wouldn't watch it again, but once is well worth it.
    8/10

Game Night
    This was a fun exercise with a few great twists and turns. Although I found both the lead characters irritating in the extreme.
    7/10

Goodbye Christopher Robin
    This was tough going - I was persuadede by my wife to watch it on an overnight flight, and it just made the flight seem longer. Horrible story about a well intentioned dad who creates a fantasy world for his son and then uses him to publicise it. Very well acted but not fum viewing - I hope the upcoming Cristopher Robin is at least more cheerful.
    6/10

Black Panther
    I'd have enjoyed this more if I hadn't gone in with such expectations from other reviews. It is good, but nothing new or extraordinary - a run of the mill fantasy/SF film which is well done but left me with a feeling of 'seen it all before'.
    7/10
  • Options
    Ant Man and the Wasp
    Very camp and very funny - the special effects are not overdone. Two post credit scenes - first one is key to the film.
    Good cast and script. 8.5/10
  • Options
    Some great documentaries I saw recently.

RBG
    About icon of the Supreme Court, Ruth Bader Ginsberg. A bit fawning, but still enlightening. I had no idea she had argued 7 times infront of the Supreme Court as a lawyer (winning 6) before she joined them. Also was the first female high-power attorney in all of New York. 7.5/10

Won't You Be My Neighbor
    About Mr. Rogers. Most Americans my age grew up with his show as kids. Very interesting and it digs a bit deeper than RBG. Really useful documentary about our need to be nice, especially in the age of Trump. 8.0/10

Three Identical Strangers
    About triplets who did not know the others existed in NYC. How they found each other and how they grew apart. Plays like a detective story, as it turns out they were an experiments and essentially, lab rats for a secretive experiment. Makes one think about the roles of nature v. nurture. 8.5/10
  • Options
    The Escape

A simple but very effective film about a couple whose marriage is in crisis. Gemma Arterton is excellent as the dissatisfied wife and Dominic Cooper plays the part of her confused husband very well.

Worth a watch but a very limited release.

8.5/10
  • Options
    The Incredibles II
    Great film - stuff for the jkids to enjoy and some teen angst to make the parents shudder. Like its predecesor, it has a nice plot line and while being Disney, you can imagine everything will turn out okay in the end, it keeps you hooked anyway. The cinema was sold out so we ended up three rows from the front which gave big screen a whole new meaning, and I had to turn my head to follow the chaarcters on the screen, but it's worth it. Very much Pixar at their best.
    9/10
  • Options

Anybody seen this? Looks great.

https://youtu.be/Qib7eqbg0O8

KALEIDOSCOPE ENTERTAINMENT is ME @ValleyGary

It's a load of fun. Bonkers story and true!

Crazy!

• Options
    Carter said:

I was listening to Joe Cole being interviewed about this. I liked the sound of it and shall be having a watch. I've got Walk Like a Panther to watch later.
    Really want to see this but can't see it in the cinemas. Might have to slip onto a shady website for this one!
  • Options

Carter said:

Really want to see this but can't see it in the cinemas. Might have to slip onto a shady website for this one!
    It's a good film but these type of films (Starred Up, Ill Manors etc) struggle to be big box office. Only Kidulthood, Adulthood and Fatherhood bucked that trend because they were very, very specific in their demographic.

• Options
    A Prayer Before Dawn is on Sky Cinema, i rented it for £5 last week.

Joe Cole is very good in it. Not much dialogue but its very life like, almost like he's in a real prison. His 'ladyboy' girlfriend is also pretty fit tbf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:

Carter said:

It's a good film but these type of films (Starred Up, Ill Manors etc) struggle to be big box office. Only Kidulthood, Adulthood and Fatherhood bucked that trend because they were very, very specific in their demographic.

It's a bit of a vicious circle - a lot of British films don't get a decent marketing budget and are not shown in the big cinema chains so they have to no chance of doing decent box office.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Anybody seen this? Looks great.

https://youtu.be/Qib7eqbg0O8

KALEIDOSCOPE ENTERTAINMENT is ME @ValleyGary

It's a load of fun. Bonkers story and true!

Crazy!

I like the look of that @supaclive
  • Options

supaclive said:

Carter said:

It's a bit of a vicious circle - a lot of British films don't get a decent marketing budget and are not shown in the big cinema chains so they have to no chance of doing decent box office.
    True, however Fox released Starred Up and spent a fortune and the Distributor of Prayer Before Dawn couldn't get cinema support despite having the marketing budget needed.....
  • Options
    supaclive said:

supaclive said:

Carter said:

True, however Fox released Starred Up and spent a fortune and the Distributor of Prayer Before Dawn couldn't get cinema support despite having the marketing budget needed.....
    I think a Prayer Before Dawn got a single showing in the local cineworld cinemas - seems a strange decision. Surely there was an audience for it?
  • Options
    Saw Christopher Robin this afternoon, really enjoyed it. Couldnt see why it was a PG rather than a U but younger kids might get a bit bored. Our 9 year old loved it.
  • Options
    The Meg
    Saw this with my daughter - pretty mindless action film but enjoyable. Jason Statham as ridiculous as ever. 6.5/10
  • Options

The Meg
    Saw this with my daughter - pretty mindless action film but enjoyable. Jason Statham as ridiculous as ever. 6.5/10

Saw it with my grand daughter last week. 6.5 is fair. Enjoyable certainly but won’t live in the memory...

......unlike 3 Billboards- what a great film. Good acting, great script, darkly comical, left you wanting more. 8.5.
  • Options
    Christopher Robin

A melancholy family film - live action/CGI. Beautifully shot and very watchable - not sure what small children will make of it? Ewan McGregor and Hayley Atwell head up the cast and it's a very nostalgic take on the Winnie the Pooh story.

Pooh and the other characters are well developed and visually it worked for me.
    7/10
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Just watched The Circle (not very new I know). Utter drivel. It had some interesting dead but it just or confused and lost in a maze of stories it started to tell but quickly forgot about. If it had any deep and meaningful message, it got buried by its woeful ability to pull this story together.

Disappointing, considering it had some decent actors on board. Black Mirror it is not.
  • Options

Just watched The Circle (not very new I know). Utter drivel. It had some interesting dead but it just or confused and lost in a maze of stories it started to tell but quickly forgot about. If it had any deep and meaningful message, it got buried by its woeful ability to pull this story together.

Disappointing, considering it had some decent actors on board. Black Mirror it is not.

It’s a pity because it is a good book.