Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:

I must be in an odd mood lately of the recent films I’ve seen none stood out and overall disappointed.

Death of Lenin. Didn’t laugh much liked Buscemi.

Darkest Hour. Like Oldman as an actor and he did nothing wrong here but as a film lacked oomph.

Isle of Dogs. Watchable but nothing to write home about.

A Quite Place. Liked the idea but a new born baby keeping it quite illogical captain.

You were never really here. Again like Phoenix as an actor but it just felt lacking in something, not sure what.

I often feel storylines are just expecting too much from audiences and lacking in detail about how we reach certain stages in films.

is this the sequel to Death Of Stalin?
    Oooops
  • Options
    Anyone seen ‘the Zookeepers wife’, based on a true story of a German zookeeper who hid at her zoo and in doing so saved hundred of Jews in Warsaw, Poland during the occupation.

I thought it was a 7/10 and did enjoy it.
  • Options
    Watched on the plane:

Atomic bomb - fairly generic spy thriller, worth time if you have loads to spend

Darkest hour - bit of a sucker for this sort of jingoistic claptrap, seemed a bit liberal with the old historic accuracy piece but interesting view on how Churchill saved the nation and the world.

The greatest showman - fell asleep during part of this one, don’t think I missed much. Oh look, people who look different can be both exploited and have a better life than they would otherwise at the same time, with songs and pretty sets.

At the cinema:

Ready player one - liked this, but not as good as the hype. Some nice references to good films, sometimes overplayed ‘oh look at that bike’ yes it’s like the bike from Akira’ thanks. Overall enjoyed it.

The avengers mash up - complete bollocks, virtually no development of any character or story. Lasted longer then I thought possible and really wanted it to end before it did.

The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society - watched this on a Monday night and it felt like a Sunday evening BBC production. Some interesting history, very very obvious romantic plot, nice and worth some time but nothing exciting to see here.
  • Options
    Saw Ghost Stories a few days ago. Really enjoyed it though this kind of film is not usually my thing. No gore, but decently scary with several jump out of your skin moments, even though you knew they were coming.
  • Options
    Saw the new Han Solo film tonight. This one not as thick with the Star Wars tropes as previous films and quite enjoyable.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Saw the new Han Solo film tonight. This one not as thick with the Star Wars tropes as previous films and quite enjoyable.

I’ve just seen it, thought it was very good. As you say, a couple of nods to the original films but not over the top.
  • Options
    Just seen Solo, thought it was really good I've probably enjoyed this and Rouge One more than the 2 "proper" Star Wars films.
  • Options
    Just had the misfortune of watching Open House, a 'thriller' staring the main character from 13 Reasons.

What a load of utter tripe. Completely devoid of coherent storyline, character development or any kind of explanation behind what happens in the film. It also lacked anything that could be classed as scary and even the cheap 'jump' scares were poorly constructed.

I know a lot of horror films are below par but this, I believe, has got o be the worst I have seen. Randomly choosing a film on Netflix without looking at some sort of review beforehan majorly backfired here! Seeing it through to the end in the naive hope that it would redeem itself was also extremely ill thought out.

Do not waste an hour and a half of your life watching this film. Sit and stare at a wall if that is your only other choice - trust me, it will be more entertaining.

0/10
  • Options
    Completely agree @moutuakilla Open House was awful, luckily we gave up after 15 mins.

There is some awful stuff on Netflix. I now check the IMDb score first and don't bother with anything under 6.

Every so often you find something half decent on Netflix and enjoy it because your expectations are so low. Recently I've watched Money Monster (George Clooney/ Julia Roberts) (7/10), Cargo zombie film with Martin Hayes (6.5) and Closed Circuit (6) and enjoyed them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to go and watch ‘the book club’ on Friday. Had every expectation it was going to be fucking terrible but was actually really funny, lot of laugh out loud moments.

If you want a decent film to see as a couple, would recommend this one.
  • Options
    Death of Stalin, great film....
  • Options
    HEREDITARY
    Starts off well, very atmospheric and claustrophobic, but loses its way towards the end and throws in every horror film cliche.
    7/10

McQueen
    - Excellent documentary about the fashion designer that traces his career from his early days working in Savile Row. Soundtrack from Michael Nyman works really well. 8/10
  • Options
    The Happy Prince - a heartfelt, intelligent movie with brilliant performances, excellent script, beautifully filmed with great lighting, set design and convincing period detail. And yet I found myself curiously unmoved - though it reminded me what a sad tale the actual Happy Prince story is.
  • Options
    Game night. Really funny with some laugh out loud moments( I was on a plane) good performances all round. 7.5/10
  • Options
    TEL said:

Game night. Really funny with some laugh out loud moments( I was on a plane) good performances all round. 7.5/10

I chuckled at this on a plane too
  • Options
    The Breadwinner. As an animation and given the subject matter (life under the Taliban etc) thought this could be a hard 90 minute watch but this was quite enjoyable. Not completely sure what to make if it but glad to have seen it than not.
  • Options

The Breadwinner. As an animation and given the subject matter (life under the Taliban etc) thought this could be a hard 90 minute watch but this was quite enjoyable. Not completely sure what to make if it but glad to have seen it than not.

Saw this as well - simple story but very effective.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I saw two days of films at the Film Society Screenings at the end of April, although comments on websites or social media are embargoed pending their release:

Zama (Argentina)

Set in 18th century Paraguay, Zama is a South American born officer of the Spanish colony, who craves a transfer to join his wife and family in Argentina. With that objective in mind, he submissively accepts his lot for fear of prejudicing his position but finds himself frustrated at every turn and eventually (in the last third of the film) joins a band of soldiers to try and hunt down a dangerous brigand (who may, or may not, exist).

The cinematography is excellent and I found this an intriguing - if somewhat baffling film. Did the events towards the end of the film really happen or had Zama descended into madness ? As the director, Lucrecia Martel, has said “For me, a film is not telling a story, it is an artefact or representation of a way of perceiving things which aims to challenge one's own way of perceiving the world.....”. Get the picture ?

The film has been almost universally acclaimed by critics (garnering a raft of 5-star reviews and an 88% Metacritic score) but has, I believe, proved less popular with audiences. I personally liked it but can see that many would find it frustrating or an example of ‘the Emperor’s new clothes’ - 7/10.

The Ciambra (Italy)

The film is set in a Calambrian Romani community in Italy and is about a 14-year-old boy who steps up his level of criminal activity when he seeks to become the man of the house after his older brother is imprisoned. He moves easily between the Italian, African immigrant and his own Romani communities but finds himself torn between loyalties to family and friends.

The film has a social realist/documentary style and an entire Romani family make up the supporting cast of unprofessional actors. It certainly feels authentic and had some merit, although, overall, I found it a little predictable - 6/10.

The Happy Prince

A passion project for Rupert Everett - who wrote, directs and stars - the film covers the ignominy of Oscar Wilde’s final years in exile in Naples and Paris after his release from prison following his conviction for 'gross indecency'. It has received gushing reviews from many critics but I found it very average, rather overpumped costume drama. BBC Films part funded it, so it will be on TV within the next year or so - 5/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sicario2

Enjoyed it but not as good as the first film. Violent, dark and plot keeps you involved. The soundtrack adds to the suspense throughout the film.

Benicio Del Toro watchable as always.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Insidious The Last Key.

Not the best Insidious, but it did make Kelly junp a few times.
    I was fine until the last minute, for those who watched Insidious Chapter 3 the only part that made me jump was the ending when Elise was in the kitchen and everything was normal until the red demon appeared behind her and the movie ended, well there was no mention of that demon until again the last scene when it appeared at the window off Dalton and Elise got a phone call from Renai and Elise said yell Josh I will be there tomorrow(setting up number 5 obviously) but again the red demon appearing was the only thing that made me jump, dreading number 5 if its about the demon but will be good to see Patrick Wilson reprise the role of Josh as an insidious without him wasnt right.
    It was interesting to see the childhood of Elise but her dad was a knob and I was hoping he died a painful death.

7.5/10
  • Options
    "annihilation."

Outstanding sci-fi movie with lots of original ideas and casting. Have no idea how this snuck under my radar. Can be found on Amazon.
  • Options

"annihilation."

Outstanding sci-fi movie with lots of original ideas and casting. Have no idea how this snuck under my radar. Can be found on Amazon.

Netflix
  • Options
    supaclive said:

"annihilation."

Netflix
    You are correct sir!
  • Options

"annihilation."

Agree with that (except for “Amazon”) but it drops the ball in the last ten minutes.
  • Options
    What ever happened to Jimmy 85? He was a good poster, and not just on the film thread
  • Options

Sicario2

Enjoyed it but not as good as the first film. Violent, dark and plot keeps you involved. The soundtrack adds to the suspense throughout the film.

Benicio Del Toro watchable as always.

Definitely a lot darker. I preferred it to the first one.

Agree about Del Toro.
  • Options
    FIRST REFORMED
    Film starring Ethan Hawke as a pastor who is questioning his faith and coming to terms with the changing nature of religion. A very heavy and disturbing film which is not easy viewing. 7.5/10

INCREDIBLES 2
    A very inventive and interesting film to watch - improves on the original. 8/10
  • Options
    Anybody seen this? Looks great.

https://youtu.be/Qib7eqbg0O8