Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• stonemuse said:

Very pleased for Gary Oldman

Me too. Absolutely loved his performance in Darkest Hour.
  • Anyone gonna see Black Panther? 97% tomato meter and getting rave reviews. Going to break Marvel opening weekend box office records in the US. Never even heard of the character before.

Saw it last week. I don't usually do Marvel movies at the cinema, but it was absolutely brilliant. It actually gives you something to think about, rather than simply having lots of stunts, explosions and 'let's go get those suckers'-type dialogue. Special effects are decent too.

Definite 9/10 for me.
  • Blucher said:
    Very pleased to see that pretentious drivel, Shape of Water, only won the music nomination- must have been asleep when they were playing it.

The worst bits of Beauty and the Beast meets ET meets a crap 1950s sci-fi B movie plus some gratuitous violence. But its really a subtle allegory about oppression of minorities.

Utter garbage!
    Another post I want to both like and LOL. I haven't watched it but I just know it's that kind of film that I won't be interested in.
    Totally agree, Jessie.
  • Just saw 3 Billboards for the second time. It's gotta be in my top 10 movies of all time list.
  • Watched 'The Shape of Water' last night. I enjoyed it, for its visual storytelling. I'm happy to ignore the hype and simply watch an entertaining film.
  • Blucher said:

JamesSeed said:

Just seen ‘Early Man’ which was about a football team in red and white trying to get back to The Valley. Nick Park must be a Charlton fan!

Spot on @JamesSeed and @SaoPauloAddick. Any scintilla of doubt that this film is about CAFC was removed at the end when the baddie - resplendent in a rat costume - tried to escape from the stadium with all the money. A very beautiful metaphor.

Thoroughly enjoyable, with some excellent humour and voiceovers.
    Saw this today - very funny and well worth a watch. Couldn't have been about Charlton as the team in red scored late in the game to win.
    8/10
  • We went to see Lady Bird last night. The storyline is far from original (teenager coming of age in Culturalwasteland, USA) and it came across to me like American Graffiti with less jokes and great tunes. However, the actors are uniformly good and in the case of the the mother (Laurie Metcalf) and daughter (Saoirse Ronan), excellent. Definitely worth seeing for the performances.
  • Anyone gonna see Black Panther? 97% tomato meter and getting rave reviews. Going to break Marvel opening weekend box office records in the US. Never even heard of the character before.

Saw it last week. I don't usually do Marvel movies at the cinema, but it was absolutely brilliant. It actually gives you something to think about, rather than simply having lots of stunts, explosions and 'let's go get those suckers'-type dialogue. Special effects are decent too.

Definite 9/10 for me.
    Saw it last night - thought the first half an hour or so wasn't too great but after that the story got going and I really enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Never been so cold in a cinema!
  • I, Tonya
    Very entertaining mockumentary film that tells the story of skater Tonya Harding and the background to her attack on rival Nancy Kerrigan. Margot Robbie as Tonya and Alison Janney as her mother are both excellent and it's a great piece of storytelling - hard to believe that all these events took place.

Some very funny moments - the dialogue is very sharp. 8.5/10
  • edited February 2018
    Shape of Water

This is like some kind of 1950s romantic, fantasy, thriller B movie, if such a thing ever existed. Not a film out of the top draw but an enjoyable one, with some strong performances.
  • Sponsored links:

• We went to see Lady Bird last night. The storyline is far from original (teenager coming of age in Culturalwasteland, USA) and it came across to me like American Graffiti with less jokes and great tunes. However, the actors are uniformly good and in the case of the the mother (Laurie Metcalf) and daughter (Saoirse Ronan), excellent. Definitely worth seeing for the performances.

I thought this was a fantastic film with a great script and excellent performances from the cast. Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf are outstanding. Some very touching moments and by far the best film I've seen this year. Beautifully shot and a story that is easy to relate to. Definitely my type of film. 9.5/10
  • Just seen I, Tonya, wasn't what I was expecting at all, really really good film, wouldn't be surprised to see Allison Janney pick up best supporting actress for her performance as Harding's mother.

Would thoroughly recommend it.
  • Just seen I, Tonya, wasn't what I was expecting at all, really really good film, wouldn't be surprised to see Allison Janney pick up best supporting actress for her performance as Harding's mother.

Would thoroughly recommend it.

Alison Janney did put in a great performance as the mother from hell. A very entertaining film.
  • JamesSeed said:

Just saw 3 Billboards for the second time. It's gotta be in my top 10 movies of all time list.

Really thought I wasn't going to like this. I was very wrong. Definitely a top 10 all time movie
  • edited March 2018
    Saw three billboards today.

Best film I've seen for a long time.

Frances McDormand will rightly get the awards but thought Woody Harrelson was great too.

• Woody Harrellson (sp?)

What’s happened to @JiMMy 85 this threads gone to the bumholes whilst he’s been away...?
  • I was telling you all how good Three Billboards is ages ago .
    It has to win best picture tonight but when was the last time the best film actually won the category?
    If The Shape Of Water wins it I give up . The most overrated film in a very long time .
    I wouldn’t mind if Get Out does well too.
  • Great soundtrack too if if not the original "the night they drove old Dixie down" (Joan Baez's version is pretty good though)
  • Just finished Lady Bird, another good film that is in when a shout of an award tonight I think.
  • I was telling you all how good Three Billboards is ages ago .
    It has to win best picture tonight but when was the last time the best film actually won the category?
    If The Shape Of Water wins it I give up . The most overrated film in a very long time .
    I wouldn’t mind if Get Out does well too.

Have to agree with you - The Shape of Water is incredibly overrated. I would love to see Lady Bird win or failing that Three Billboards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Finally got round to watching Thor: Ragnorak tonight

Typical Marvel film which I quite enjoyed... Guess with it being the third instalment of the Thor series, it'll also be the last one

Shame as he's one of my favourite characters from the MCU

Quite a good soundtrack too, bit of a WTF moment when "Pure Imagination" plays from the Gene Wilder; Willy Wonka film
  • So happy silent child won best short. My old flat mate from uni Becky was the producer and her boyfriend, one of my best mates was assistant director on it. It’s an amazing and beautiful film and I can’t wait for the full length feature they’re going to be doing.
  • Can’t believe The Shape of Water won best picture . The Oscars are a joke.

The whole concept of giving awards for films is really a joke as opinion is so subjective. When it comes to The Shape of Water I know very few people who've seen it who thought it was particularly good - after watching it I kept thinking I must be missing something.
  • edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

Just saw 3 Billboards for the second time. It's gotta be in my top 10 movies of all time list.

Rockwell completely deserved Best Supporting Actor. He has been an outstanding actor for so long and very happy he won.
    Agreed, rockwell has been a seriously underrated actor for years (I’m still to see 3 billboards even though I love Rockwell, mcdonagh and McDormand)
  • Saw Darkest Hour this weekend. Oldman was brilliant, and brought the character to life very well in a fairly unbiased way I thought. For a fairly dry subject matter they did well to make it engaging and I thought they got across the peril the nation was in and how no-one wanted Churchill to succeed at first very well. The underground scene was, as already mentioned, stupid. They could have got that message across in a completely different way easily. Don't know what they were thinking at that point. Other than that enjoyable, but would probably not watch it again. 7/10

On another note, watched The Big Lebowski this weekend and forgot what a corker that was. My favourite Coen brothers film by a mile - I haven't watched a lot of their films though.
  • JamesSeed said:

Rockwell completely deserved Best Supporting Actor. He has been an outstanding actor for so long and very happy he won.
    Agreed, rockwell has been a seriously underrated actor for years (I’m still to see 3 billboards even though I love Rockwell, mcdonagh and McDormand)
    thought he was great in Moon, Lawn Dogs and the way way back. he's starting to become recognised.

• giving the best picture to that soppy fish fantasy is yet another confirmation of how crap the Oscars is.
  • giving the best picture to that soppy fish fantasy is yet another confirmation of how crap the Oscars is.

The trouble is a lot of people will go and watch it thinking it must be good if it won an Oscar and discover that It's actually a bit shit.