Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

The shape of water.
    Well, didn’t know anything about it other than Sally Hawkins was in it and it’s tipped for Oscars. Enjoyed it. Don’t really watch fantasies and it’s an interesting subject but really good by Hawkins and supporting actor Jenkins who plays her friend. Would be interested in any opinions of anyone else who sees it?

Saw it last night - not a great fan of fantasy films but thought I'd give it a go. Found it a little disappointing and the storyline very flimsy. It was beautifully shot but for me not very engaging. 5/10
    I dont think my experience last night was helped by the noisy cinema. Went to picturehouse as normal, but I can't believe so many people needed the loo and missed so many bits of it. found it rather distracting as well as people being late.

I do keep thinking about it though and i think i enjoyed it more than i thought. i didn't realise he wrote the part with her in mind for the part. I think she's very interesting. the start was a bit Amelie like.
    Agree with lots of this. I upped my mark afterwards because it did stay with me for a while. And very true about the resemblance to Amelie in a number of ways.
  • Options

Watched The Foreigner on Netflix. Heard mixed reviews, but I thought it was very good

Saw that at christmas time. Thought it was very good overall, not incredible but definitely worth a watch and quite easy watching
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Just seen ‘Early Man’ which was about a football team in red and white trying to get back to The Valley. Nick Park must be a Charlton fan!

Spot on @JamesSeed and @SaoPauloAddick. Any scintilla of doubt that this film is about CAFC was removed at the end when the baddie - resplendent in a rat costume - tried to escape from the stadium with all the money. A very beautiful metaphor.

Thoroughly enjoyable, with some excellent humour and voiceovers.
  • Options
    Clearly I need to watch Early Man but it hasn't made it to Campbeltown yet.

Instead my first experience of watching a film in the newly refurbished art nouveau gem that is the Campbeltown Picture House was the Darkest Hour. An excellent film, I thought. I can forgive the underground scene as a "device" to illustrate his understanding of the will of the people.

All a bit emotional for me as my Campbeltown-born dad was part of the rearguard action in France, ordered by Churchill. In fact, I'm only here because he ended up in Woolwich at the end of the war and met my Belvedere mum. And I'm only an Addick because dad was told to support Charlton by his father in law. What's more, this little girl brought up in a council house went on to get a place to study languages at none other than Churchill College, Cambridge. Anyone else notice Winston's rather fetching pink and brown dressing gown? Those were his family's racing colours and therefore also ours for college sporting colours. And the College provided archive material for the film. So it was fitting to see this film back in the very cinema that dad used to sneek into when he was a little kid - without paying because the family were so poor but the usherette let him in anyway.

Anyway, apologies, getting a bit self-indulgent now. It was a good film of a fascinating and very important time in history.
  • Options
    Watched Darkest Hour and absolutely loved it! I read reviews saying that it was a boring film when it was released here in China so I didn't go to see it. I watched it at home last night and enjoyed it very much. The story was actually quite simple I thought but it was really inspiring and some parts were emotional to watch. I later found out that the film was not historically accurate but still I thought it was a very well-made film. 9/10

I then watched The Post. It was quite slow at first so it took me a while to get into it. The subject was what drew my interest before it was out and overall I thought it was a good film but not as good as I had expected and definitely not Spielberg's best. 7.5/10
  • Options

Instead my first experience of watching a film in the newly refurbished art nouveau gem that is the Campbeltown Picture House was the Darkest Hour. An excellent film, I thought. I can forgive the underground scene as a "device" to illustrate his understanding of the will of the people.

All a bit emotional for me as my Campbeltown-born dad was part of the rearguard action in France, ordered by Churchill. In fact, I'm only here because he ended up in Woolwich at the end of the war and met my Belvedere mum. And I'm only an Addick because dad was told to support Charlton by his father in law. What's more, this little girl brought up in a council house went on to get a place to study languages at none other than Churchill College, Cambridge. Anyone else notice Winston's rather fetching pink and brown dressing gown? Those were his family's racing colours and therefore also ours for college sporting colours. And the College provided archive material for the film. So it was fitting to see this film back in the very cinema that dad used to sneek into when he was a little kid - without paying because the family were so poor but the usherette let him in anyway.

Anyway, apologies, getting a bit self-indulgent now. It was a good film of a fascinating and very important time in history.

Who insures your car, @Weegie Addick ?
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to new sci fi film 'Annihilation' coming out , the books 'southern reach trilogy' were brilliant.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Who insures your car, @Weegie Addick ?
    Not Churchill!
  • Options
    edited February 2018

The Shape of Water

There are some actors and directors that can do no wrong in the eyes of The Academy and serious critics. Guillermo del Toro is definitely one of those directors. Don't get me wrong , he has made some very good films but sadly , in my opinion , The Shape of Water is definitely not one of them.
    In the hidden high security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa is trapped in a life of isolation. Elisa’s life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda discover a secret classified experiment on a water based man like creature. Elisa finds she is falling in love with a creature that others want dead.

I really do not know what all the fuss was about with this film. Sure , Sally Hawkins and Michael Shannon are good but they usually always are. This had the feel of an average story that you might have seen on an episode of The Twilight Zone . For a Del Toro film the special affects were very average , almost like a B movie from back in the day. Perhaps that was what he was trying to achieve ?
    Why this has been nominated for 13 Oscars is a mystery to me because this film was average at best.

6 out of 10

https://youtu.be/XFYWazblaUA
  • Options
    Shrew said:

I'm looking forward to new sci fi film 'Annihilation' coming out , the books 'southern reach trilogy' were brilliant.

Googled it & now I'm looking forward to it too ! Thanks, @Shrew.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Shape of Water

There are some actors and directors that can do no wrong in the eyes of The Academy and serious critics. Guillermo del Toro is definitely one of those directors. Don't get me wrong , he has made some very good films but sadly , in my opinion , The Shape of Water is definitely not one of them.
    In the hidden high security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa is trapped in a life of isolation. Elisa’s life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda discover a secret classified experiment on a water based man like creature. Elisa finds she is falling in love with a creature that others want dead.

I really do not know what all the fuss was about with this film. Sure , Sally Hawkins and Michael Shannon are good but they usually always are. This had the feel of an average story that you might have seen on an episode of The Twilight Zone . For a Del Toro film the special affects were very average , almost like a B movie from back in the day. Perhaps that was what he was trying to achieve ?
    Why this has been nominated for 13 Oscars is a mystery to me because this film was average at best.

6 out of 10

Have to agree that this film is massively overrated.
  • Options
    TEL said:

50 shades freed

Okay, the plus side. The almost complete absence of a plot of any sort allows your mind to rove, or enjoy the flavour of the Maltesers you bought before going in. You can go to the gents any number of times and never ask if you missed anything. Sadly my mrs greeted my intention of playing games on my mobile with squawks of protest, so the film isn't 100% liberating. And Dakota Johnson looks good topless.
    That's it! The film is frustratingly plotless, and felt more like a vehicle to sell it's moronic sound track. It' easy to link it to the two previous films as there was nothing to remember there either. The audience (90% female) actually laughed at some of the weak jokes, and applauded at the end, so I assume there were some SE7 Valiants there. But this is absolutly as bad as it's reviews suggest. Thank fuck it's the last one.

0/10

Post of the year.....

:)
    Waste of money of the year, too, sadly. The woman who wrote this crap is laughing all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    For all those who've seen Coco and really enjoyed it, check out The Book of Life http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2262227/.
  • Options
    Ms AA and a couple of her friends went to see The Shape of Water. All three thought it boring and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
  • Options

I think I've got something in my eye. Or perhaps it's hay fever.
  • Options

The Shape of Water

6 out of 10

Have to agree that this film is massively overrated.

Sadly, I have to agree. I'd been looking forward to this movie and given all the hype and praise I was expecting something strange and wonderful like "Pan's Labyrinth". It turned out to be straightforward and predictable. Enjoyable, as there are some excellent performances, but I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed.

I can see why Jeunet & Caro might be a bit peeved about the film, but they helped ruin the "Alien" franchise so they're on thin ice with me if they're picking holes in somebody else's monster movie.
  • Options
    Missed it at the cinema, but finally got round to seeing Goodbye Christopher Robin.

Quite a moving film about the author AA Milne, his struggles with being in World War One, the relationship he had with his son, and how the Winnie the Pooh bear stories came about, something different, really enjoyed it.
  • Options

Shrew said:

Googled it & now I'm looking forward to it too ! Thanks, @Shrew.
    Fingers crossed it gets a general release over here, I'm currently working with the writer, Jeff Vandermeer (whose been really generous) on some short films with disabled performers who I work with on a weekly basis.
  • Options

Missed it at the cinema, but finally got round to seeing Goodbye Christopher Robin.

Quite a moving film about the author AA Milne, his struggles with being in World War One, the relationship he had with his son, and how the Winnie the Pooh bear stories came about, something different, really enjoyed it.

Saw it at the cinema with my daughter - enjoyable film that was far better than I expected.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Anyone gonna see Black Panther? 97% tomato meter and getting rave reviews. Going to break Marvel opening weekend box office records in the US. Never even heard of the character before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone gonna see Black Panther? 97% tomato meter and getting rave reviews. Going to break Marvel opening weekend box office records in the US. Never even heard of the character before.

Son & grandson saw it last week & thought it was crap.
  • Options

He appeared in Captain America: Civil War

The way that Marvel have operated, I reckon people wont want to miss Black Panther and miss any potential continuous plot into Avengers: Infinity War that comes out in April.
  • Options
    Took my niece to see Jumanji today. Never saw the original but knew about the storyline etc.

Thought this one was really good and both my 12 year old niece and myself found it very funny - in particular Jack Black and the black man who’s name I’m not aware of.

Maybe it was due to low expectations but I was pleasantly surprised.

7/10.
  • Options

Saw it before the game yesterday.
    Absolute drivel.
  • Options
    Finally caught up with Dunkirk. Exciting and well made, but no story that actually is going to stick with me. Inspired me to read up about it I suppose.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    After Phantom Thread, I am VERY wary about the tomato-meter. Usually reliable but it goes away with the mixer every now and then. It gave the latest Star Wars film way too many points too.
  • Options
    Very pleased for Gary Oldman
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Very pleased to see that pretentious drivel, Shape of Water, only won the music nomination- must have been asleep when they were playing it.

The worst bits of Beauty and the Beast meets ET meets a crap 1950s sci-fi B movie plus some gratuitous violence. But its really a subtle allegory about oppression of minorities.

Utter garbage!
  • Options

Blucher said:
    Very pleased to see that pretentious drivel, Shape of Water, only won the music nomination- must have been asleep when they were playing it.

The worst bits of Beauty and the Beast meets ET meets a crap 1950s sci-fi B movie plus some gratuitous violence. But its really a subtle allegory about oppression of minorities.

Utter garbage!
    Another post I want to both like and LOL. I haven't watched it but I just know it's that kind of film that I won't be interested in.