Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    I'm suprised how well people have rated Bright. It's the worst thing I've ever seen on Netflix. I turned it off half way through, brain dead story.
  • Options

The Post comes out today and I might wanna go see that. Somewhat timely for what we are dealing with here. But I reeeeallly wanna see Phantom Thread with Daniel Day Lewis when that gets wide release.

Apparently Phantom Thread is Daniel Day Lewis’ last film as an actor.
  • Options
    any recommendations to watch tonight .......me, wife and 16yr old son this evening
    thx
  • Options
    Unstoppable on Film 4 at 7pm good action packed family film
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Tried the test above and was delighted to find my most appropriate film was the Gay Fisting one - is it on Netflix?

The Limehouse Golem

I also gaught the Limehouse Golem this week. No fisting of any sort, but despite some gore, it was a very enjoyable film. I'm a bit of a sucker for these sort of historical movies, which was just another reason I loved the Prestige so much, and this was a good movie. I won't discuss it but I enjoyed everything, the atmousphere, acting, characters and plot.

8/10

I really enjoyed it.
    I watched this on a plane and thought it was dodoo, perhaps I hadn't had enough mojitos?
  • Options
    Finally got a chance to watch the new Kingsman film.

I loved the first one, this one. I enjoyed it as it's pretty hard not to purely for the effects, humour and camera tricks. However, this is the first time I've seen Julianne Moore in anything where I didn't like her, she was trying to do what Samuel L Jackson did in the first one and fell a bit short.

I really hope they do another one but I'm not sure where they go now.

7/10
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Agree with Beds on Hostiles. I enjoyed it, I thought the acting was great... but if I wasn't in a screening, I probably would have taken a break and come back to it the next day!

Also, for a film that wants to show it's characters on an arc of forgiveness and redemption (for being racist), it's remarkably simplistic when it comes to the native American depictions.

Still, a really good western and well worth a watch.

I've heard its very gory and that is worrying me about seeing it. How graphic is it?
    Not that gory at all. There is one scalping scene right at the beginning of the film that is a bit gory but that's about it.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

stonemuse said:

Watched the 1958 Dunkirk last night. Good film and interesting to see the number of scenes retained in the latest version. Obviously they are both based on the same event so there is a kind of inevitability to this.

Well directed, not surprisingly, by Michael Balcon and a great addition to the excellent Ealing Films portfolio.

It was directed by Leslie Norman.

Watched " The Man with the Iron Heart" on netflix tonight.

Very decent film & worth a watch although Mr F is convinced it's a remake.

Is he thinking of Antrophoid (sp) which was based on the same story from memory.
  • Options

Nadou said:

stonemuse said:

Watched the 1958 Dunkirk last night. Good film and interesting to see the number of scenes retained in the latest version. Obviously they are both based on the same event so there is a kind of inevitability to this.

Well directed, not surprisingly, by Michael Balcon and a great addition to the excellent Ealing Films portfolio.

Is he thinking of Antrophoid (sp) which was based on the same story from memory.
    Anthropoid is told in a similar way to the mid seventies version called Operation Daybreak. Linear and just from the perspective of the allies. TMWTIH also provides backstory of Heydrich and his family. Both new films are good but not great.
  • Options
    Molly's Game 7/10 - found the start over long and indulgent but overall v enjoyable and remarkably true to the real story from reading up on it after.

Three Billboards 9/10 - one of the best films I've seen for a long time - great performances and excellent story with perfect balance of laughter, tears and horror. Also a refreshing change to have straight line chronology!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Agree with Beds on Hostiles. I enjoyed it, I thought the acting was great... but if I wasn't in a screening, I probably would have taken a break and come back to it the next day!

Also, for a film that wants to show it's characters on an arc of forgiveness and redemption (for being racist), it's remarkably simplistic when it comes to the native American depictions.

I've heard its very gory and that is worrying me about seeing it. How graphic is it?
    Not that gory at all. There is one scalping scene right at the beginning of the film that is a bit gory but that's about it.
    Yeah it’s gritty rather than gory. I don’t remember it being too bad at all, but then again I’ve seen Bone Tomahawk, and once you’ve sat through that, I suspect you can watch anything without your heartrate being much affected.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah it’s gritty rather than gory. I don’t remember it being too bad at all, but then again I’ve seen Bone Tomahawk, and once you’ve sat through that, I suspect you can watch anything without your heartrate being much affected.
    Bone Tomahawk was within a whisker of being switched off - good film but way too much gore. Bits of it resembled a primitive autopsy.
  • Options
    Wind River

Great film. I was attracted by the presence in the directors/writers área of a Hell or High wáter conexión. That was good enough reason to watch, and it was well worth it. as chilly as the Wyoming Winter it depitcs, it's a pólice thriller. High on tensio, well written, casted and acted. Having said that, it was also grim, and to be honest, I don't know if I would want to go through it again. But not bloody or messy - there was just the storyline which took you to places you may not really want to visit.

8.5/10
  • Options

Nadou said:

stonemuse said:

Think he was remembering "Operation Daybreak" although we both recalled the publicity around "Anthropoid".
  • Options
    Just back from 3 Billboards.

Best film I've seen since Manchester by the Sea. Solid 9/10. A film that has just about everything, is unpredictable and totally absorbing.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Movies of 2017 for me:

Death of Stalin
    Film Stars don't die in Liverpool
    Disaster Artist
    Battle of the Sexes

Best family movie was the new Jumanji.

Just saw Darkest Hour, and despite the historical inaccuracies, thought it was excellent.
  • Options

Molly's Game 7/10 - found the start over long and indulgent but overall v enjoyable and remarkably true to the real story from reading up on it after.

Three Billboards 9/10 - one of the best films I've seen for a long time - great performances and excellent story with perfect balance of laughter, tears and horror. Also a refreshing change to have straight line chronology!

Agree about Three Billboards. At least 2 Oscars I would think.
  • Options
    Just sat through Kingsman 2.

It's so badly plotted I am quite astonished. The Colin Firth stuff is such a pointless distraction. Julianne Moore's villain is woeful, she appears to have been on set for a couple of days and shot all her scenes in one location. She lacks any threat, cos when she does do bad things, it's in a pantomime villain way. Which is in keeping with the previous movie, but the bloodless violence makes it seem too childish.

Quite why Halle Berry is in it I don't know, and one of the more interesting characters, Channing Tatum's Whiskey, disappears for a huge chunk of the film.

The taxi fight was the best thing, and that happens at the start. You'll lose nothing if you press stop there!

2/5
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's so badly plotted I am quite astonished. The Colin Firth stuff is such a pointless distraction. Julianne Moore's villain is woeful, she appears to have been on set for a couple of days and shot all her scenes in one location. She lacks any threat, cos when she does do bad things, it's in a pantomime villain way. Which is in keeping with the previous movie, but the bloodless violence makes it seem too childish.

Quite why Halle Berry is in it I don't know, and one of the more interesting characters, Channing Tatum's Whiskey, disappears for a huge chunk of the film.

The taxi fight was the best thing, and that happens at the start. You'll lose nothing if you press stop there!

2/5

It is an entertaining stupid movie but yeah the villain was awful and as you point out the big problem was introducing Tatum's character who the trailers seemed to emphasise as a big main character and he is almost immediately put in a coma, to be replaced by the bloke from Game of Thrones.

The final fight scene was pretty good I thought and Elton John was funny. But yeah definitely felt like a sequel botch job. Also Mark Strong's Country Roads was brilliant.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

2/5

It is an entertaining stupid movie but yeah the villain was awful and as you point out the big problem was introducing Tatum's character who the trailers seemed to emphasise as a big main character and he is almost immediately put in a coma, to be replaced by the bloke from Game of Thrones.

The final fight scene was pretty good I thought and Elton John was funny. But yeah definitely felt like a sequel botch job. Also Mark Strong's Country Roads was brilliant.
    Yeah Elton John, that was whacky and it worked really well. I know Pedro Pascal (who I love in Thrones and Narcos) doesn't naturally have a Spanish accent, but his Texan seemed ridiculous to me.

I think I have a problem with this one because it had all the talent it needed to be a decent movie, apart from perhaps the writer (edit: just realised Vaughn wrote it with Jane Goldman again, so it's quite surprising they messed it up). It could so easily have been a solid continuation in the franchise. Instead, I wonder where the hell they can take it now without just repeating themselves over and over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched Darkest Hour last night. Gary Oldman is brillant and worth watching.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Nadou said:

stonemuse said:

Anthropoid is told in a similar way to the mid seventies version called Operation Daybreak. Linear and just from the perspective of the allies. TMWTIH also provides backstory of Heydrich and his family. Both new films are good but not great.
    Years ago, well before Operation Daybreak came out, I read a book on the Heydrich operation. I can’t remember the title but it was very well written and superior to watching the film.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RWP

Darkest Hour

I thought this was excellent. Wasn't sure about Oldman for the first five minutes, but in the end thought his performance was superb.
    I'm aware that there are some factual inaccuracies (the tube journey for example), but this isn't a historical document, and it's not claiming to be definitive, so I wasn't too worried.
    Movie highlights how close we were to holding 'peace talks' (surrender).

8/10
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

RWP

Darkest Hour

I thought this was excellent. Wasn't sure about Oldman for the first five minutes, but in the end thought his performance was superb.
    I'm aware that there are some factual inaccuracies (the tube journey for example), but this isn't a historical document, and it's not claiming to be definitive, so I wasn't too worried.
    Movie highlights how close we were to holding 'peace talks' (surrender).

8/10

Really enjoyed this and Gary Oldman was fantastic. But, for me, the tube journey scene was so pivotal that it did disappoint me to learn it wasn't true.

But Hollywood dollars speak loudest. Just taints the authenticity somewhat.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

2/5

Yeah Elton John, that was whacky and it worked really well. I know Pedro Pascal (who I love in Thrones and Narcos) doesn't naturally have a Spanish accent, but his Texan seemed ridiculous to me.

I think I have a problem with this one because it had all the talent it needed to be a decent movie, apart from perhaps the writer (edit: just realised Vaughn wrote it with Jane Goldman again, so it's quite surprising they messed it up). It could so easily have been a solid continuation in the franchise. Instead, I wonder where the hell they can take it now without just repeating themselves over and over.
    Was I being too kind by giving it a 7?

Having had a few days my resentment has come out. I am annoyed they tainted the first film with this sequel. The first one was everything I want from an action film this one I can't help but feel let down by for all the reasons outlined by me, you and fish
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited January 2018
    JiMMy 85 said:

2/5

As I posted previously, totally agree, waste of space after the surprisingly excellent first episode.
  • Options
    Three Billboards. Odd film, being funny, sad and a bit tragic at times. Hard to watch in places, and personally, I didnt like the ending. Good acting pretty much throughout (Especially Woody's character) but I thought Abbie Cornish was miss casted....7/10
  • Options
    TEL said:

Three Billboards. Odd film, being funny, sad and a bit tragic at times. Hard to watch in places, and personally, I didnt like the ending. Good acting pretty much throughout (Especially Woody's character) but I thought Abbie Cornish was miss casted....7/10

Really enjoyed the film but have to agree Abbie Cornish seemed out of place. Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand were outstanding.
    A very dark film full of dysfunctional characters and well worth watching. 8/10

Also saw Molly's Game which was very entertaining and slick but it was hard to care about any of the characters. Jessica Chastain was good but no other performance really stood out for me. 6.5/10
  • Options
    Just saw Three Billboards - I thought it was great. Taking me a while to figure out what it was all about, but I think I get it. I think. Although I don't get the issue with Abbie Cornish, I don't know the woman and took the character to be perfectly well cast (I actually thought it was Melissa George at one point!).

The ending is tricky, but I was expecting something like that, and I'm happy to let that sink in and figure it out. I guess it was about the journey, rather than the destination, in a couple of ways. Hard to say without getting spoilery. Either way, I look forward to someone explaining it to me!!