Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Out of Thin Air

Iceland is a place everyone knows everybody. Back in the 70's there was a population of just 200k so when two men vanished over a space of several months there was massive pressure on the police to find the culprits.
    Six suspects were arrested and confessed to the murders and Iceland breathed easy again.
    The trouble is , despite their convictions , the six weren't sure if they were guilty or not.
    This is a fascinating documentary about how the human mind works if manipulated or mentally tortured.
    It's very sad in parts because lives were completely ruined but as documentaries go this is well worth watching.
    It's available on Netflix and BBCi player.

8 out of 10.

https://youtu.be/eyK0t8UPW44
  • Just watched the trailer for 12 STRONG
    https://12strongmovie.com/#home
    I won't be wasting time and money in the cinema watching that.
  • edited October 2017

Just watched the trailer for 12 STRONG
    https://12strongmovie.com/#home
    I won't be wasting time and money in the cinema watching that.

"If we don't take that city, Bush and his buddies won't make as much money..."

Pretty sure this would have been green-lit after the success of Lone Survivor and so on. Jingoistic nonsense by the look of it. EDIT: But it will make a LOT of money. A lot. I wonder how much Michael Pena has made out of 9/11 now.
  • Saw Spider-Man Homecoming in the week. Another churned-out superhero film that goes no further than ticking the obvious superhero boxes.
    Nothing distinguishing about it.
    The twist and ending was yawn-o-rama.
    I could name a dozen films like it, purely exist as cash cows and offer neither substance nor creativity.
    3/10
  • TELTEL
    edited October 2017

Out of Thin Air

Iceland is a place everyone knows everybody. Back in the 70's there was a population of just 200k so when two men vanished over a space of several months there was massive pressure on the police to find the culprits.
    Six suspects were arrested and confessed to the murders and Iceland breathed easy again.
    The trouble is , despite their convictions , the six weren't sure if they were guilty or not.
    This is a fascinating documentary about how the human mind works if manipulated or mentally tortured.
    It's very sad in parts because lives were completely ruined but as documentaries go this is well worth watching.
    It's available on Netflix and BBCi player.

8 out of 10.

https://youtu.be/eyK0t8UPW44

Also a lot of good drama coming out of Iceland at the moment.
  • Saw The Party today which is a very funny film about an awful middle class dinner party. Filmed in black and white with an excellent cast including Cillian Murphy, Timothy Spall and Kristin Scott Thomas. Only 70 minutes long but packs a lot in.
  • Geostorm

Looks spectacular, but really is a preposterous pile of cheesy shit. Laughable at times
  • Geostorm

Looks spectacular, but really is a preposterous pile of cheesy shit. Laughable at times

As much as I like Gerard Butler...as soon as I saw he was in it, I thought ah its not going to be a blockbuster, he seems to be the star man when making cheesy films these days...thanks for the heads up, I wont bother paying to watch this one.
  • edited October 2017
    The Hippopotamus

This a strange one. Adapted from a Stephen Fry novel this film is a hard one to pigeon hole. It starts off as a comedy with some Malcolm Tucker ( The thick of it ) like scenes played brilliantly by Roger Allam it then turns into a stately home farce and ends up being like a detective mystery story.
    Its the story of a drunken poet and theatre critic who loses his job and then agrees to investigate goings on at Swafford Manor where so called miracles are being performed.
    I enjoyed the performances in this especially from Roger Allam but the film itself left me a little cold probably because I couldn't really relate to the people in it plus it was a little too high brow for my liking. As soon as poetry is mentioned , which it is several times , I tend to glaze over and lose interest. If you are into the old Agatha Christie movies I can see how this might appeal but it wasn't for me.

5 out of 10

https://youtu.be/DRiDpYOaU7g
  • THE DEATH OF STALIN

Delicious combination of satire, farce and poignancy. A scary subject about scary people but perfectly balanced piece.

Just loved every moment of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    Anyone else looking forward to the new Saw film? I know it will be pretty shit but still glad it's back.
  • Never had much time for the Saw movies. They just seemed so mean-spirited!

Going to watch Thor tonight. Some friends say it's the turkey of the year, but they hate comic book movies so I'm expecting it to be standard Marvel fare.
  • THE DEATH OF STALIN

Delicious combination of satire, farce and poignancy. A scary subject about scary people but perfectly balanced piece.

Just loved every moment of it.

Saw it today. Very good. Can't understand why the Russians are so upset about it:-)
  • Blucher said:

Sweet Country (Australia)

I saw this at the London Film Festival and it’s UK release date has yet to be announced. Set in the Australian outback in the early 1920s and loosely based on an actual case, it tells the story of a middle-aged Aboriginal farmhand who, in fear for his life, kills a violent, boorish and racist landowner whilst acting in self-defence. Lacking any faith in the local justice system (“I’m a blackfella who killed a whitefella”), he and his wife flee and are pursued across the bleak and beautiful landscape by the town’s racist police sergeant and his posse.

The screening was followed by an interesting Q & A with the director and cinematographer, Warwick Thornton, whose previous drama was the multiple award-winning ‘Samson and Delilah’. He said his intention was to make a Western type film without the usual cliches whilst, at the same time, shedding a light on what was really going in Australia in its treatment of the indigenous population. I thought he succeeded admirably and I found this a very powerful and interesting film. It also benefitted from excellent performances from veterans Sam Neill and Bryan Brown, as well as from the non-professional indigenous actors utilised by the director. Overall, a very good film - 8/10.

This sounds like my sortta movie. Wasnt there a similar movie about 30 years ago...'The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith'?
  • I've only just 'found' this thread in the last month - its great. Thank you.
  • Quick question

Anyone seen both Churchill and Darkest Hour? If so, which one did you prefer? Quick look at reviews seems to suggest Darkest Hour - but also it does not seem to be available for download yet, whereas Churchill is on iTunes.

Looking for a movie to watch at home this evening...
  • Darkest Hour isn't released until December 29th in the UK
    November in the States
  • Churchill is a great film.
  • Anyone seen the new Bladerunner? It's on in Brixton (Ritzy) at 12:30.
    Tempted, as it's a 'Silver Screen' showing, so as an old git I'd get a discount.
  • JamesSeed said:

Anyone seen the new Bladerunner? It's on in Brixton (Ritzy) at 12:30.
    Tempted, as it's a 'Silver Screen' showing, so as an old git I'd get a discount.

Yeah watched it Friday.

Really liked it as they have shot it similarly to the older one but obviously a new story line.
    Jared Leto's bit is good but not enough screen time! Worth a watch if you like the original.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Anyone seen the new Bladerunner? It's on in Brixton (Ritzy) at 12:30.

Yeah watched it Friday.

Really liked it as they have shot it similarly to the older one but obviously a new story line.
    Jared Leto's bit is good but not enough screen time! Worth a watch if you like the original.
    I'm a massive Philip K Dick fan, and liked the original, although not sure if I ever saw it in the cinema.
  • Saw jigsaw weekend, went in expecting it to be awful as friend said had bad reviews. Was impressed as wasn't as predictable as some of the others, really liked the twist at the end.

7/10 - Not amazing but well worth seeing if you enjoy The Saw series
  • edited November 2017
    Not a recent release but saw a Swedish film at my local cinema club last week of "A Man Called Ove".

Don't bother if car chases, special effects and crime is your bag as its a bittersweet comedy about a guy struggling to come to terms with the death of his wife and his relationship with his neighbours, particularly the new young family next door. He's the gated community where he lives grumpy old man, imagine Victor Meldrew on Swedish steroids. As the film progresses it fills in his backstory which goes some way to explaining his current situation and negative views. I'm making it sound gloomier than it is...

"https://youtu.be/dPoaN2XROk8"

The first thing I said to my wife after was that it's a film ripe for an English language remake and we discussed who we would cast. Turns out that Tom Hanks has signed up to star and produce it...which neither of us suggested but I can now see him in the role.

A solid 6.5/10 but my wife loved it.
  • Saw Thor yesterday, took my brother to see it was empty only 5 people in the whole screening lol

7/10 - quite a few funny bits in it which were unexpected, if you like Marvel / DC you should like it. Not total action but easy to watch.
  • The more I think about Thor, the more I dislike it.

It's like the 80s Pepsi taste challenge. Immediately sweet and sugary, and pleasantly enjoyable. But after a while you realise you've been fooled, and it's actually nowhere near as tasty as you thought!

Goldblum was playing his same old weirdo self, and that's ok for a scene, but his part was to big for that. Cate Blanchett did bugger all. Karl Urban was reminiscent of Alfrid in the Hobbit with his pantomime villainy. Hulk was decent but as a result Ruffalo, a really engaging actor, had precious little screentime, many of the jokes were blindingly obvious or cliched, Thor's haircut was more about the actor's demands than the character's advancement.

The best thing was the rock guy, and even his comedy seems like a rip-off of Mitch Hedberg!

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The more I think about Thor, the more I dislike it.

It's like the 80s Pepsi taste challenge. Immediately sweet and sugary, and pleasantly enjoyable. But after a while you realise you've been fooled, and it's actually nowhere near as tasty as you thought!

Goldblum was playing his same old weirdo self, and that's ok for a scene, but his part was to big for that. Cate Blanchett did bugger all. Karl Urban was reminiscent of Alfrid in the Hobbit with his pantomime villainy. Hulk was decent but as a result Ruffalo, a really engaging actor, had precious little screentime, many of the jokes were blindingly obvious or cliched, Thor's haircut was more about the actor's demands than the character's advancement.

The best thing was the rock guy, and even his comedy seems like a rip-off of Mitch Hedberg!

Maybe spoiler *Hulk* was going to mention it but didnt :)

• JiMMy 85 said:

Good call... but it's all over the trailer and promo material, so I think it's fair game.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Good call... but it's all over the trailer and promo material, so I think it's fair game.
    Fair enough, i didnt expect it but didn't really see any trailers. Only really went as brother wanted to see it, dont normally watch Thor. Do you get to watch Justice League early?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fair enough, i didnt expect it but didn't really see any trailers. Only really went as brother wanted to see it, dont normally watch Thor. Do you get to watch Justice League early?
    Oh I forgot about that one! I am at the mercy of ex-colleagues at the moment when it comes to previews, and they hate DC so if there's a screening next week, they won't want to go - I'll ask them!
  • edited November 2017
    Not a latest but just watched Manchester By The Sea. Remember from the reviews how bleak it was but not about how good the performances were. Affleck and Williams were outstanding along with the other characters.