Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

se9addick said:

Redskin said:

I thought Dunkirk was poor. No character development; no script; hackneyed stereotypes - Hardy, Brannagh, Rylance.
    The fact that it told 3 or 4 stories within a day is hardly groundbreaking: been done numerous times before.
    That this has been heralded as 'a groundbreaking piece of cinema' shows how low film making has sunk.

It didn't tell 3 or 4 stories within a day, it told the stories over differing time period until they all culminate. Could explain why you didn't like it?
    The reason I did not like the film is that I simply found it boring. Repetitive. Dull. I have read many articles by the directors' fan boys laying out reasons why the film is groundbreaking. But I am not convinced. And I am entitled to find the film boring. But I expect the usual snarky comments from the usual suspects on here!

Mind if I ask if you're able to get a bit more specific here?

Like, who are the fan boys and where are the articles, and which posters have been snarky to you for not liking a movie?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Redskin said:

I thought Dunkirk was poor. No character development; no script; hackneyed stereotypes - Hardy, Brannagh, Rylance.
    The fact that it told 3 or 4 stories within a day is hardly groundbreaking: been done numerous times before.
    That this has been heralded as 'a groundbreaking piece of cinema' shows how low film making has sunk.

It didn't tell 3 or 4 stories within a day, it told the stories over differing time period until they all culminate. Could explain why you didn't like it?
    I thought that was evident from the first paragraph.
  • Options

Saw The Emoji Movie.

It was dross.
    However I'm sure the high five told the virus to ´fu3k xff' half way through the film.

Can anyone else confirm.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

se9addick said:

Redskin said:

The reason I did not like the film is that I simply found it boring. Repetitive. Dull. I have read many articles by the directors' fan boys laying out reasons why the film is groundbreaking. But I am not convinced. And I am entitled to find the film boring. But I expect the usual snarky comments from the usual suspects on here!

Like, who are the fan boys and where are the articles, and which posters have been snarky to you for not liking a movie?
    Apart from a couple of reviews in the Times most of the other reviews I read or scanned were overwhelmingly positive. Some were film critics on other UK newspapers and a lot were just articles on the web. The bloke who use to be the film critic on the BBC or channel 4 (just looked him up, Mark Komode) declared last week it was the definitive war movie! It just seems to me like this director could put whatever shit he likes onto the screen and his fans will defend it.

I was not referring to you as a fan boy. You are obviously involved professionally in the world of film making and I accept your opinions on films carry more weight and deserve more respect than any opinions I have on films. But, I will never forget how I felt at the end of my first viewing of the Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan at the cinema. And I did not need to wade through articles explaining what the directors of these films were trying to achieve in order for me to have a visceral reaction to those films.

And I was certainly not referring to you as one of the usual suspects who troll me on various threads looking for opportunities to make snarky comments so they can get LOLs from their little group of followers.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Watched "Locked up" the other evening, enjoyable yet predictable. Big lesbian scene in the the film. Watching the blind panic on my wife face as she realised that our blinds were still open, I'd unzipped my flies and our TV visible to passing neighbours was worth seeing. :)

This is true, but I forgot why I'd done it. ;)
    It's your eyesight not your memory it makes worse mate.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

se9addick said:

Redskin said:

Apart from a couple of reviews in the Times most of the other reviews I read or scanned were overwhelmingly positive. Some were film critics on other UK newspapers and a lot were just articles on the web. The bloke who use to be the film critic on the BBC or channel 4 (just looked him up, Mark Komode) declared last week it was the definitive war movie! It just seems to me like this director could put whatever shit he likes onto the screen and his fans will defend it.

I was not referring to you as a fan boy. You are obviously involved professionally in the world of film making and I accept your opinions on films carry more weight and deserve more respect than any opinions I have on films. But, I will never forget how I felt at the end of my first viewing of the Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan at the cinema. And I did not need to wade through articles explaining what the directors of these films were trying to achieve in order for me to have a visceral reaction to those films.

And I was certainly not referring to you as one of the usual suspects who troll me on various threads looking for opportunities to make snarky comments so they can get LOLs from their little group of followers.
    Wow. Just wow.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

JiMMy 85 said:

se9addick said:

Redskin said:

Wow. Just wow.
    Very original! How many times have I seen that exact phrase to express a fake reaction on here. Nice to see one of my Brexit trolls still on my case.

No doubt the rest of your little gang will be along soon.
  • Options
    I do imagine a large part of why it is has been particularly well-received in the UK is simply because it tells a story that is very resonant in British people's minds when they think of World War 2 and particularly heroic/miraculous events in our history. I wonder if Nolan had decided to choose Pearl Harbour or the Battle of Stalingrad as the stage for his film if it would have had nearly as much attention here as it has had. This isn't a snide point, by the way, but even as far as highly acclaimed films go, it does seem to have chimed incredibly well with British audiences.
  • Options
    For one reason or another, I never got the chance to see Brooklyn when it was released.

Finally caught up with it. Brilliant screenplay and acting. Probably because of my own family background, but resonated so much with me.

Rarely I say this, but 10/10.
  • Options
    Not been following this thread, so perhaps there was a discussion, but has anyone seen Get Out? Just seen it. Absolutely amazing film
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Not been following this thread, so perhaps there was a discussion, but has anyone seen Get Out? Just seen it. Absolutely amazing film

Watched it the other night and it is fantastic. It reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone or something from Hammer House of Horror. And to think the director is mainly recognized as one half of a comedy duo.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

The general consensus was that it was a really good film. I loved it.
  • Options
    Went to see Dunkirk tonight and have to say I was disappointed. Watchable but lacked so much considering the hype.

• Options
    Get Out

Thought it was a good watchable film but would have been an excellent episode of black mirror if that makes sense.

Slightly predictable

If you liked it watch black mirror series.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The Limehouse Golem
    Another free Picturehouses preview screening.

Bill Nighy and the lovely Olivia Cooke (who reminds me very much of Helena Bonham Carter) in a fairly typical Victorian ripper type mystery. If you're a fan of Ripper Street and such (I'm not really), this'll be for you. Daniel Mays is in it too as Nighy's supporting plod. Cast all very good, and there's a twist which I didn't see coming. That said, it was Sunday morning and I wasn't trying to figure it out anyway.
    Enjoyable of its kind, fair bit of gore.

Shot in typical dark and gloomy Victorian London style, almost monochrome except for the contrasting music hall scenes.

I'd give it a solid 7.

Saw a trailer for the new Daniel Craig film Logan Lucky. Looks absolute cack.

• Options
    The Dark Tower

A good couple of hours entertainment, recommended for anyone with young sons.
  • Options
    Saw Dunkirk last night & I have to say I don't get the hype. Not bad, but not outstanding either. Found it a bit 'meh'
  • Options

Saw Dunkirk last night & I have to say I don't get the hype. Not bad, but not outstanding either. Found it a bit 'meh'

Me too, it would not get into my top five of war films, in fact I doubt the top ten if you include some of the oldies.
  • Options
    Signed up to Cinema Paradiso and spent a couple of happy hours building up a list of 70 odd films. Thanks for all the reviews in this thread.

Films are picked by me, my missus and a few by my grand-daughter. So far we've watched:

Eye in the Sky- tense, watchable war drama- 6/10
    Love and Friendship- period comedy drama with Kate Beckinsale. Clever but not my thing- 4/10
    Star Trek Beyond- Good fun and my grand-daughter is now a Trekie- 7/10
    Mad Max Fury Road- Great action film- 7/10
    Jason Bourne- bit so so- 6/10

Tonight is I, Daniel Blake.

Thanks again for all the reviews.
  • Options
    Not latest, but did anyone else pick up on this too 100 comedy films?

Plenty that I don't think I have seen. Some surprising ones too.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170821-the-100-greatest-comedies-of-all-time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not latest, but did anyone else pick up on this too 100 comedy films?

Plenty that I don't think I have seen. Some surprising ones too.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170821-the-100-greatest-comedies-of-all-time

Good to see my favourite comedy of all time at number 7 - Life of Brian
  • Options
    Forgive me if I have mentioned this before (it's my age) but has anybody else seen the 1980 cry wolf short comedy?

I saw it with Airplane at catford and would love to see it again to see if I found it as funny as I did then.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0352260/
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Thought it was utter cack - the most overrated film I've seen since the Revenant. The script is really poor and very obvious.

Saw Detroit last night - okay film but feel another director could have made more of it. The events in the film are pretty shocking but under Trump you can see it all happening again.....
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

I thought The Road was excellent, Viggo Mortensen very good.

Check out "Eastern Promises" and "Appaloosa"... two lesser-seen movies he has made where he is really good.

• Options

stonemuse said:

Check out "Eastern Promises" and "Appaloosa"... two lesser-seen movies he has made where he is really good.

Love Appaloosa so will definitely look out for Eastern Promises.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Not a film.....but maybe the best sports documentary I've seen.

Icarus.

Watch it.

• Options
    Saw Logan Lucky and the Limehouse Golem in recent days - enjoyed both.

Logan Lucky is a heist movie which suffers a bit from some dodgy accents but Daniel Craig does a good turn and the film entertains throughout.

The Limehouse Golem is very dark and has an excellent cast. It's a period film that for once doesn't dress things up.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Not a 'latest film,' quite the opposite actually, but not sure it merits a thread to itself.

Last night 'Talking Pictures' showed 'Poor Cow' which was Ken (or Kenneth as he was credited in that film) Loach's first film to reach real public exposure.

It stars the late Carol White (arguably best known for Cathy Comes Home) and, despite having seen the film before albeit a long time ago, I had forgotten just how good and photogenic an actress she was.

A very underrated performer, probably because she suffered from her own demons and made so few films, who was both 'eye candy,' as was de rigueur in the sixties, and very talented.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Love Appaloosa so will definitely look out for Eastern Promises.
    Appaloosa is great, but Eastern Promises is more a companion piece with A History Of Violence, which is the other time Viggo Mortensen worked with David Cronenberg. I think they're working on another film together now. Still, all three of these movies are well-worth watching.