Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    I'd seen The Prestige but after all the comments on here I thought I'd give it another go. It is a very good clever film.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I liked suicide squad, looked at it as its own film in its own universe. The problems came towards the end... A few fit birds in it though...

Technically, it's a fucking astonishingly badly made movie. This isn't a subjective thing - it's really, really badly made. Nothing makes much sense. The plot is 100% illogical. And there's a ton of reasons for how and why that happened (mostly the script being written in six weeks, then re-written and re-shot).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiFhv3gsyo
  • Options
    Love a bit of honest trailers. I don't disagree it's bad, but it felt like a bad 80's movie, which I love those these days!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Love a bit of honest trailers. I don't disagree it's bad, but it felt like a bad 80's movie, which I love those these days!

Watch a bad 80s movie for those reasons!

DC vs Marvel, not a fucking choice.
  • Options
    Just saw Transformers The Last Knight. Never seen any of the franchise before and for two and a half hours I couldn't tell what was going on. 5/10.
  • Options
    I just saw Spider-Man. I'm no Tony Watt, but here's my review nonetheless.

https://moviegulp.com/2017/06/29/holy-shit-spider-man-homecoming-is-actually-brilliant/

• Options
    Saw Despicable Me 3 this morning, a few laugh out load moments and pretty good all round.
  • Options

Saw Despicable Me 3 this morning, a few laugh out load moments and pretty good all round.

Saw it yesterday, its fun and I enjoyed it although I found the 'villain' a bit weak. Perhaps not as good as the others. 6/10
  • Options
    Probably not as good as the 2nd one but still quite funny. It's aimed at kids, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Baby Driver - by Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz etc.)

It's about a kid called Baby who is an amazing driver, forced to be a wheelman on bank jobs by Kevin Spacey's crime boss.

Music is a major part (Baby has an iPod on at all times) and annoying at first, but makes more sense as the movie goes on. Much like many of the characters (I wanted to punch the kid for the first half hour).

It's really entertaining. The script is watertight, the set ups and pay offs are all logical and the characters are very well fleshed out. The music does bother me a bit (I find it lazy when movies are cut to cool music) but it is fully justified here. It's mostly diagetic (meaning the characters can hear it too).

The real hero is Wright and his editor. The trademark clunk-clip editing (think of when Simon Pegg buys a cornetto) is relentless and makes it zip along at pace.

I'd give it 8/10.

Saw this last week. Pacy, entertaining, not too intellectually challenging. I would give it maybe 6 rather than the 8 though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must admit @Davo55, I have cooled on it a little bit. I don't mind that there's no much substance to it, I'd rather see an original movie like that than a comic book flick.

I'll split the difference and go for a 7!

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I must admit @Davo55, I have cooled on it a little bit. I don't mind that there's no much substance to it, I'd rather see an original movie like that than a comic book flick.

I'll split the difference and go for a 7!

Deal
  • Options
    Just watched Captain Fantastic, don't know how I haven't come across it before now, a wonderful film with great performances from everyone especially Viggo Mortensen.

A comedy drama with some really funny moments and some really sad moments, a highly recommended watch.
  • Options
    watched Morgan last night on Sky Premiere. Odd film with a twist at the end but a bit unbelievable at times (both women falling out of a 2nd story window & neither hurt in the slightest, having just been knocking 7 bells out of each other including being thrown into walls & over tables. Pleeese.......one punch would generally floor someone.

Only watched it as I thought it was going to be about our Irish cricket captain !! :smile:
  • Options
    Watched Cars 3 last night, found it a little too intense and couldn't follow the plot but then maybe Id had far too much to drink. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'd argue The Prestige is Nolan's best film. As much as I enjoy all his stuff, there's a bit too much explaining going on in Inception and Interstellar. Easily in my top ten favourites. His big reveal scenes have become a bit cliched (especially in Interstellar) but this was one of the first times he did it, and it's done so bloody well. And the twist is so in your face it's astonishing nobody can see it coming. But nobody does!

There is some debate around the ending, but I don't think this is the place to do it cos I don't know how to spoiler tag!

I just came out of a British comedy/ horror movie that was surprisingly good, but not allowed to name it for another week. It's about a couple of girls looking to pull a virgin and sacrifice him for whatever reason. It's entertaining enough, and his best mate steals the show (while looking a lot like Jake Gyllenhaal).

Just watched The Prestige for the first time tonight. Thoroughly enjoyable but for me that last scene was typical Christopher Nolan. I thought i was ahead of the game regarding most of the reveal but the last scene ultimately revealed nothing . Perhaps that was the idea ? ? Am I missing something?

8 out of 10
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I'd argue The Prestige is Nolan's best film. As much as I enjoy all his stuff, there's a bit too much explaining going on in Inception and Interstellar. Easily in my top ten favourites. His big reveal scenes have become a bit cliched (especially in Interstellar) but this was one of the first times he did it, and it's done so bloody well. And the twist is so in your face it's astonishing nobody can see it coming. But nobody does!

There is some debate around the ending, but I don't think this is the place to do it cos I don't know how to spoiler tag!

I just came out of a British comedy/ horror movie that was surprisingly good, but not allowed to name it for another week. It's about a couple of girls looking to pull a virgin and sacrifice him for whatever reason. It's entertaining enough, and his best mate steals the show (while looking a lot like Jake Gyllenhaal).

Just watched The Prestige for the first time tonight. Thoroughly enjoyable but for me that last scene was typical Christopher Nolan. I thought i was ahead of the game regarding most of the reveal but the last scene ultimately revealed nothing . Perhaps that was the idea ? ? Am I missing something?

8 out of 10
    The big reveal was that the ultimate trick was EXACTLY the same as the first trick you see in the movie with the birds, only that nobody wants to think it's that simple. Watch it again and you'll see Nolan was waving the answer in your face, and that's brilliantly done.

Jackman used 'real' magic (which is what some people object to). That's an issue for some, but I think it makes narrative sense - the guy who couldn't accept the solution pushed and pushed until he finally had the magic solution to himself. He refused to see the simple answer.

That the last scene was, as you say, 'typical Nolan' wasn't remotely an issue at the time - it was fine. In the context of Interstellar and Inception it's become cliche. But in isolation, it works really well.
  • Options
    just saw Kedi, a Turkish documentary about feral cats. very lovely
  • Options

Just watched Captain Fantastic, don't know how I haven't come across it before now, a wonderful film with great performances from everyone especially Viggo Mortensen.

A comedy drama with some really funny moments and some really sad moments, a highly recommended watch.

Saw it when it came out. Can't remember what I scored it, but it's an excellent film.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

8 out of 10
    The big reveal was that the ultimate trick was EXACTLY the same as the first trick you see in the movie with the birds, only that nobody wants to think it's that simple. Watch it again and you'll see Nolan was waving the answer in your face, and that's brilliantly done.

Jackman used 'real' magic (which is what some people object to). That's an issue for some, but I think it makes narrative sense - the guy who couldn't accept the solution pushed and pushed until he finally had the magic solution to himself. He refused to see the simple answer.

That the last scene was, as you say, 'typical Nolan' wasn't remotely an issue at the time - it was fine. In the context of Interstellar and Inception it's become cliche. But in isolation, it works really well.
    Apparently the end was completely different in the book so now I'm going to have to read it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

8 out of 10

Apparently the end was completely different in the book so now I'm going to have to read it!
    Yeah I read about that - I don't think it's completely different, but well worth reading to find out if it works as well, I never got around to it!
  • Options

Security

I fall for it every time. A film I've never heard of that's starring a couple of respected actors which has been released straight to DVD . When am I going to learn that there's a bloody good reason why these films come out of nowhere with little or no publicity ?
    Antonio Banderas is a shopping mall security guard who has to protect a child trial witness from a psychopathic criminal and his gang of soldiers looking to stop her testifying against them.

In recent years there have been a few actors who have reinvented themselves with hard guys characters. Sadly I don't think this film is going to do anything for the career of Antonio Banderas or Ben Kingsley come to think of it.
    The film starts with the criminals attacking and killing a convoy of US Marshalls yet as the film progresses they ridiculously get taken out by a bunch of overly stupid shopping mall security guards as well as Banderas who is ex forces of course. Not heard that scenario before!
    At times it feels like Home Alone with their homemade booby traps but sadly nowhere near as entertaining.
    Once you get past all the juxtaposition and unintended comedy it isn't that bad but I still wish I hadn't bothered.

4 out of 10

https://youtu.be/KbKAkL-tmSY
  • Options
    Churchill, just watched it. Certainly interested me if it's factually told, very enjoyable. Oh yes! ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

just saw Kedi, a Turkish documentary about feral cats. very lovely

Seconded. Very enjoyable.
  • Options

Spider-Man: Homecoming

I really didn't fancy going to see Spider-Man: Homecoming but with there being no football at the moment and my youngest pestering me to go , I succumbed . I haven't really been into Spider-Man since the cartoon TV show of the seventies and with all the changes of lead actors I wasn't holding out great hope but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Thrilled by his experience with the Avengers, Peter Parker returns home under the watchful eye of his new mentor Tony Stark . Parker tries to fall back into his normal daily routine—distracted by thoughts of proving himself to be more than just your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man—but when the Vulture (Michael Keaton) emerges as a new villain, he finds that there is a massive conflict between his Spidey life and his private life.
    Tom Holland is excellent as the new Spider-Man. He's playing a 15 year old Peter Parker and that will definitely appeal to the kids. In fact the whole film feels like it's aimed at the younger market. There is less death and destruction than a usual Avengers movie ( and this IS an Avengers movie) and more references to what teenagers are into.
    Some of the special affects are amazing especially one scene where Spider-Man climbs up the Washington Monument ( great in 3D) also a scene on a ferry.
    It could do with half an hour being shaved off of it but I think that of most Marvel films .
    Not Bad at all.

7 out of 10

https://youtu.be/U0D3AOldjMU
  • Options
    Not a latest but just watched Rogue One and was more than pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Plenty of subtle nods and a great link up to the original Star Wars film.
  • Options
    Just watched Wonder Woman and was very pleasantly surprised. Gal Gadot is stunning (as if I needed to say that). Good story line, cgi was a bit patchy in places but overall a very enjoyable film. 7.5/10
  • Options
    Went to see Baby Driver at the Peckhamplex (£4.99 all tickets) last night. Cracking soundtrack (very loud in places) which is an integral part of the film, which itself is great fun whilst not asking any particularly deep and philosophical questions.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

@JiMMy 85 I find putting SPOILER ALERT before the spoilery bits works quite well.

I agree with your assessment of The Prestige being his best film, and not just because Bowie does a good Tesla.