Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options

Watched Alien covenant, bit slow for the first 25 minutes, its all right , not brilliant or groundbreaking , I never saw Prometheus, so can't compare, but loved the old alien films ,thought Fassbender was good.

I can't decide how I felt about it, good to see the proper Alien tearing about but it was maybe a little boring/predictable and bit too 'remake-y'. Absolute CGI-fest (much prefer a good model set) and it became a bit of The Michael Fassbender Show for a long while. Also think it was a missed opportunity not to make the foreign planet any different to Earth at all.

I actually loved Prometheus but think it got panned for having too many plot-holes (which I must have missed in the heat of the moment).
  • Options

Watched Alien covenant, bit slow for the first 25 minutes, its all right , not brilliant or groundbreaking , I never saw Prometheus, so can't compare, but loved the old alien films ,thought Fassbender was good.

I can't decide how I felt about it, good to see the proper Alien tearing about but it was maybe a little boring/predictable and bit too 'remake-y'. Absolute CGI-fest (much prefer a good model set) and it became a bit of The Michael Fassbender Show for a long while. Also think it was a missed opportunity not to make the foreign planet any different to Earth at all.

I actually loved Prometheus but think it got panned for having too many plot-holes (which I must have missed in the heat of the moment).
    It's not so much plot holes as stupid people doing stupid things. Which implied the script was half-assed (best example is the guy who makes the maps is the guy who gets lost, for no discernible reason beyond the plot needing him to be in a certain place).

Also, Scott brought in Lost writer Damon Lindelof to add more mystery to the original script, and so he came up with questions that weren't answered, and that annoyed people a bit!

I think Alien C's biggest issue is that the story is all about Fassbender's David, but he's the antagonist and doesn't turn up for half the film. It makes it very disjointed.

I keep saying it but he hasn't proved otherwise too often - Scott is a great visual artist, but he's a shitty storyteller.
  • Options
    Just watched Sour Grapes on Netflix. Really good film documentary about a guy that makes millions selling fake wine.
  • Options

T2: Trainspotting

I think Danny Boyle was on a hiding to nothing when he agreed to make a sequel to the iconic Trainspotting movie. How could he ever make it as exciting , edgy and original as the first movie? The answer to that is he couldn't.
    T2 catches up with the four ex ( or not) junkies 20 years later. Renton returns to Edinburgh after a long exile in Amsterdam, and he soon reunites with his old pals Sick Boy and Spud . As he tries to help Spud kick his heroin addiction and gets caught up in a scheme to open a brothel with Sick Boy, Renton is targeted by the sociopathic Begbie , who wants revenge for him stealing money off of him.
    I so wanted to love this film. I tried my hardest to get into it but it just wasn't happening. I'm not a fan of Ewan McGregor anyway . I think he lacks screen presence and it's is no different here . Ewen Bremner over does it with his exaggerated impression of Spud and it's annoying. Johnny Le Miller and Robert Carlyle are excellent and it's only when Begbie and Sick Boy are on the screen that I found myself enjoying it.
    There is one very funny scene when Renton and Sick Boy find themselves in a Loyalist social club and have to sing for their supper and it's a highlight of what is ultimately a disappointing follow up.

6 out of 10

https://youtu.be/IGdiACWiMAM
  • Options
    Anyone seen the new Pirates of the Caribbean yet? Fancied going but the reviews are generally dire.
  • Options

Anyone seen the new Pirates of the Caribbean yet? Fancied going but the reviews are generally dire.

Not yet,might wait for it to come out on pirate
  • Options
    Saw Alien Covenant this week. Quite enjoyed it and as @JiMMy 85 says it looks great but I felt it was in danger plot wise of disappearing up its own backside with lots of overly enigmatic speeches delivered by Fassbender. I think people go to films like this for action and to see people chasing around aliens or being chased around themselves and other than a couple of set pieces I thought it came up a little short on that front for me.
  • Options
    Ghost in the Shell

The future as envisaged in 2017 - with immense amounts of CGI - looks the same as the future envisaged in 1982 (Blade Runner) with no CGI.

So, no advance on the Ridley Scott masterpeice of 35 years ago, but nice to watch Scarlett Johansson pirouetting away.....
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Re. King Arthur - I don't know why anyone wants to hire Charlie Hunnam. He's such a no-mark. When I saw Pacific Rim I got him mixed up with two other characters. I was so confused when he got into a punch up with himself. Edit - bad typing

Didn't Guy Ritchie's career end 17 years ago?

• Options
    I saw Charlie Hunnam with Ritchie on the Graham Norton show and not hearing Charlie speak in his own voice before I wish I had not seen it....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hacksaw Ridge. Was expecting a lot. The war scenes are stunning and stomach churning in equal measure. They justify the awards. However the lead character, based on a real person, had an element of Forrest Gump about him and the backstory was told with that sepia tinged saccharine tone reminiscent of Pearl Harbour. Disappointed.
  • Options
    Saw a few films that I'd missed on the plane (most of which will probably be screened shortly on TV or Netflix etc.):

Manchester by the Sea - I found it unremittingly grim and couldn't empathise with the manic depressive played by Casey Affleck. The young teenager was impressive and, for me, helped salvage the film.

I Am Not Your Negro - the story of race in modern America in James Baldwin's unfinished novel. Very good.

Hell or High Water - an enjoyable film, with some strong performances, not least from Jeff Bridges as the droll sheriff on the trail of the amateur bank robbers.

Hidden Figures - really entertaining and a story that certainly deserves to be told. Maybe a bit over-sugared and sentimental in parts but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of it. Overall, I thought that this was a very fine film.
  • Options
    I caught the new Pirates of the Carribean last night. Good swashbuckling movie. I had read so many bad reviews I nearl didn't go, but it is fine without being anything special. Johnny Depp (who was one of those criticized) was his usual daft self, Bardem was great, and it was a fun if slightly silly movie.
    6/10
  • Options
    The Shack. Bizzare film which changed direction mid way through....thought I was watching a full on Hillsong production by the end of it. An Idiots guide to spoon fed Christian proverbs and Forgiveness. Couldnt fault the acting to be honest but weird with a capital W. 4/10 Sumire Matsubara providing more than adequate eye candy.
  • Options
    I watched T2 on Friday and was a bit disappointed, it was brilliantly shot and some interesting camera work. Some very funny scenes not least the 1690 one on the social club and the one with Renton and Begbie in the toilet cubicles of the club.

• Options

John Wick: Chapter 2

It's true to say I'm not a big fan of Keanu Reaves. Funnily enough my wife enjoys watching him but I don't think that has anything to do with his acting ability.
    Despite my reservations , Keanu seems to have hit the bullseye with John Wick.
    Hitman John Wick is once again called out of retirement, this time by a former colleague who wants him to repay a debt by killing an Italian crime lord . But when the attempted assassination goes awry, Wick finds himself hunted by an international cabal of killers.
    I really enjoyed this . It's one of those films that doesn't tax your brain too much and is full on high tempo action.
    Director Chad Stahelski , who is a stunt coordinator by trade , uses his expertise to give the audience a brilliantly choreographed film . I look forward to the third chapter.

7 out of 10

https://youtu.be/XGk2EfbD_Ps
  • Options

It's true to say I'm not a big fan of Keanu Reaves. Funnily enough my wife enjoys watching him but I don't think that has anything to do with his acting ability.
    Hitman John Wick is once again called out of retirement, this time by a former colleague who wants him to repay a debt by killing an Italian crime lord . But when the attempted assassination goes awry, Wick finds himself hunted by an international cabal of killers.
    I really enjoyed this . It's one of those films that doesn't tax your brain too much and is full on high tempo action.
    Director Chad Stahelski , who is a stunt coordinator by trade , uses his expertise to give the audience a brilliantly choreographed film . I look forward to the third chapter.

7 out of 10

Watched it too, I like Reeves, but this was pretty mediocre in my opinion. 6/10 Preferred Chapter 1.
  • Options
    Just watched Free Fire, decent enough film that.
    Only 90 minutes, over an hour of which was a shoot-out.
    Does what it says on the tin and a fair few laughs thrown in too.
  • Options
    TEL said:

7 out of 10

Watched it too, I like Reeves, but this was pretty mediocre in my opinion. 6/10 Preferred Chapter 1.
    First one agree was excellent, enjoyed this for what it's worth.

Assume there will be a 3rd though.
  • Options
    Also watched John Wick 2 yesterday, not as good as the 1st but still an enjoyable movie, we now know the third one is John Wick Vs every other assassin in the world!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw the new Wonder Woman yesterday,quite enjoyed it,read the reviews beforehand that all gave it a 4 out of 5 and i would agree with that. Gal Gadot is simply stunning,absolutely gorgeous.
  • Options
    We Steal the old way......... good old british film, with lots recognisable faces off the tv. Not a great story line, just a film to sit down and enjoy. ;)
  • Options
    Finally got round to seeing Jawbone last night , well worth the wait.
  • Options
    My Life As A Courgette, lovely French stop-motion about a present-day orphanage and the ways in which the variously damaged kids grow together. Liked it very much. Saw the subtitled version but there's also an American dub. Recommended for adults and children (although it's pretty hard-hitting for a kids' film, so no children under about 9 or 10 I'd say)
  • Options
    The Mummy
    absolute dross.
  • Options
    John Wick Chapter 2
    Loved it. Turn your brain off and enjoy, nothing serious to see here. Like the first? You'll like this too.
  • Options
    Wonder Woman
    As a summer blockbuster, it ticks all the boxes, there's a fair bit of humour, and David Thewlis is excellent.
  • Options

The Mummy
    absolute dross.

I hope you didn't pay to see that, you'll ony encourage them to make more dorss.
  • Options

John Wick Chapter 2
    Loved it. Turn your brain off and enjoy, nothing serious to see here. Like the first? You'll like this too.

Watches this last night, great fun. As you say/- no thinking needed, just pure action
  • Options
    Baywatch, if there's a storyline or decent acting role in this film I really don't care. :blush: