Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Watched Attack the Block last night. A group of hoodies take on an alien invasion on a south london estate.
    Don't know about you but I was rooting for the aliens. I thought it had a lot of potential as a plot but I found it dreadfully executed and all a bit too low budget.

• Options
    not sure if it is mentioned here but 'knuckle' is worth a watch
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Bournemouth Addick, I enjoyed ATB for what it was, a low budget horror/monster movie. Probably didn't have much sympathy for the teen gang and maybe that was how they were supposed to come across. Overall I liked it.
  • Options
    Fair enough Stevie, just my opinion that's all.
  • Options
    Fair enough Stevie, just my opinion that's all.
    One thing I had trouble getting to grips with was the teen language. It would have been better with subtitles!

• Options
    Went to see the Artist on Thursday - brilliant.
    I bought a crap bootleg DVD of this last week. No sound or colour.

Whooooooooosh !
    ;-)

• Options
    The Guard - best film of 2011.
    Thought it was a really good watch. Not in the same league as 'In Bruges' but enjoyable.
  • Options
    Went to see the descendants with me missus. The background Hawaiian 'world/folk' music was pretty good but wouldn't want the cd. George Cooney plays himself. Film meanders along. I didn't fall asleep. Can't believe it has been nominated for an Oscar! It's hardly ground breaking. I'd give it 3.5/5 stars.
  • Options
    Went to see the descendants with me missus. The background Hawaiian 'world/folk' music was pretty good but wouldn't want the cd. George Cooney plays himself. Film meanders along. I didn't fall asleep. Can't believe it has been nominated for an Oscar! It's hardly ground breaking. I'd give it 3.5/5 stars.
    This.

Yesterday I saw 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. I thought that was brilliant.
  • Options
    This.

Yesterday I saw 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. I thought that was brilliant.
    You should see the original . It's so much better than the American rip off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Artist - pleasant enough high concept film, but massively over-hyped (by the film world naturally, since it's about movie making). If it wasn't in black and white and 'silent', nobody would bother with the story. The idea of the transition from silent to sound movies is done better in Singing In The Rain.
  • Options
    Not exactly a latest film but you could still save some energy by not watching 'water for elephants' , watched it from love film with my gf last week and all in all like the elephant itself, disappointing, tame and lame.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Moneyball? Brilliant film, and the fella from Superbad deserves an Oscar for supporting Actor. Brilliant.
  • Options
    Rise of planet of the apes......this film is a floater, beware.
  • Options
    Just seen two Oscar nominated films

Warhorse - Pass me the bucket. Has to be the worst Spielberg film I have seen in a very long time . It's a bloody horse for christ sake so why the smaltzy music and sickly script. Hated it.

Moneyball - Not a bad film but at the end of the day it's Baseball Zzzzz. Brad Pitt is good but the film is distinctly average.

Going to see The Artist tonight. Hopefully this will live up to the hype unlike the above two .

So far of all the Oscar Nominated films only one is worthy of the award and that's Tree of life.
  • Options
    I thought Warhorse was tremendous .. a metaphore for the pain and suffering inflicted by war, the camerawork is superb as are the sets and the computer generated effects are, as is usual with Spielberg, terrific. The film attempts to show that all sides in a war are composed of mere suffering human beings, most of whom have no desire to kill or (of course) to be killed. Nationalism and a misplaced sense of 'duty' prevails too often over common sense. One criticism .. the film is overlong, a 15/20 minute shorter version would have sufficed.
  • Options
    I thought Warhorse was tremendous .. a metaphore for the pain and suffering inflicted by war, the camerawork is superb as are the sets and the computer generated effects are, as is usual with Spielberg, terrific. The film attempts to show that all sides in a war are composed of mere suffering human beings, most of whom have no desire to kill or (of course) to be killed. Nationalism and a misplaced sense of 'duty' prevails too often over common sense. One criticism .. the film is overlong, a 15/20 minute shorter version would have sufficed.
    120 minutes shorter would have suited me.
  • Options
    Saw Winter's Bone which I really got into despite the sound being very muffled and the ascents hard to pick up.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I quite liked Winters Bone. Plenty of atmosphere and some proper scary hill billies. Watched The Arbor over the weekend. Based on interviews from deceased playwright Andrea Dunbar's ( Rita, Sue and Bob too ) friends and relatives. Actors lip synch the recorded interviews and the bit near the end with Neil Dudgeon and his screen wife describing certain events was quite intense.
  • Options

At least you could stand an hour of Warhorse then .. 'The Artist' tonight .. you'll be in for a quiet time then.. enjoy, I thought it was T O S H
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012

At least you could stand an hour of Warhorse then .. 'The Artist' tonight .. you'll be in for a quiet time then.. enjoy, I thought it was T O S H
    The only section of Warhorse i liked was the section where the British and German soldiers met up in no man's land to retrieve the nag.

The Artist was tosh , Really ?. We will see if we agree later.

• Options
    Compared to last year, Osca
    I quite liked Winters Bone. Plenty of atmosphere and some proper scary hill billies. Watched The Arbor over the weekend. Based on interviews from deceased playwright Andrea Dunbar's ( Rita, Sue and Bob too ) friends and relatives. Actors lip synch the recorded interviews and the bit near the end with Neil Dudgeon and his screen wife describing certain events was quite intense.
    Winter Bone is great, John Hawks is brilliant in it.
    Last film I watched was Lebannon, its about an Israeli tank crew during the invasion of Lebannon in the 80s, if you liked Das Boot or Waltz With Bashir I would highly reccommend it
  • Options
    The Artist was really good in my opinion.
    War Horse was good in parts but was so taken straight from the stage that some bits just didn't work on the screen. Also there were too many scenes of the horses sad eyes. Too much horse, not enough war. Although as someone wrote in to the Kermode and Mayo radio show, probably had the most exciting plowing scene of the year. :)
  • Options

The only section of Warhorse i liked was the section where the British and German soldiers met up in no man's land to retrieve the nag.

The Artist was tosh , Really ?. We will see if we agree later.

we will .. BUT, if we all liked the same thing it would be such a boring life .. albeit probably a more serene one
  • Options
    Just seen The Artist and I have to say ( sorry Lincs ) I really liked it.
    I didn't think that a silent film would have that affect on me but it did .
    Fantastic performances from the two lead actors plus the dog and I loved the twist at the end.
    Not quite as good as Tree of life but I suspect this will get more awards .
  • Options
    I was forever looking for the subtitles that never arrived .. pity as I am a fan of good French cinema, especially movies where a plot about absolutely nothing can be converted into an absorbing story. I'm glad you enjoyed it BA.
  • Options
    really enjoyed 'midnight in paris'.......... and no its not a sequel to 'one night in paris'
  • Options
    Went to see Woman in Black. Took my 13 year old son who spent much of the time with his hands over his eyes and clutching my arm! He enjoyed it but he was very scared.

I am not a particular lover of the genre but I enjoyed this a lot. It jumped me a few times and certainly its a bit hairy for children of 13 or below. Can't for the life of me understand how they gave this a 12A and Insidious for example a 15.

Excellent performances including Daniel Ratcliffe - only criticism was that he was a bit young for the role.
  • Options
    Not too new, but I just watched knuckle which was pretty good
  • Options
    Is 'Drive' any good?