Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joey Barton

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Carter said:

I have only skim read this page about the posts since his ban but I'm surprised that know one seems to have mentioned about him mentioning it being an illness. A gambling addiction like any other addiction is an illness and it seems that the FA have thrown him under the bus whilst not trying to treat the illness. Although totally different, Jake Livermore was (rightfully) let of a ban after failing a drugs test following a family tragedy, he still broke the rules about recreational drugs. I think a suspended sentence and having to seek help, attend classes would have been more reasonable.

And this is just it, he's not held anything back and I would encourage his kind of honesty. I hope he appeals and he is allowed to play football again. He didn't drop kick anyone I know but is this seriously worth taking someones career away? I appreciate Joey Barton for what he is and who he is. And I'd rather seen him given every opportunity to rid himself of any demons or at least earn a living as a professional sportsman whilst he tries to do so
    (Almost) any other player and I'd agree with you, but frankly this being Joey Barton I just can't. This is a relatively minor thing as it goes but this is a man with a long, long list of crimes and offences of various kinds and severity. Some of the things he's done before are truly reprehensible. Ask Ousmane Dabo if Barton deserves to have had as many chances to exorcise demons or earn a professional footballer's wage and I suspect the answer would be short and sweet.

I am not entirely unsympathetic to the view that a gambling addiction is an illness of a sort. However I am entirely and unapologetically completely unsympathetic to Barton in particular, and if that's hypocritical of me, so be it.
    Not at all mate, it's very honest of you to say. A lot of people dress it up as 'if it was me blah blah' nothing wrong with saying you don't like someone at all in my book
  • Options
    Basically he is not a very nice person, track record of being a knob, knew what he was doing and now trying to claim he has an illness, sympathy, I have none whatsoever.
  • Options

Basically he is not a very nice person, track record of being a knob, knew what he was doing and now trying to claim he has an illness, sympathy, I have none whatsoever.

Especially when these chaps have so much money that they can afford professional help.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Uboat said:

sam3110 said:

He bet on himself to score and on his team to lose in some of his bets ffs

Of course he shouldn't have done it, but he wasn't playing in the games when he bet his team would lose.
    That, of course, is not the point. The point is that betting on a match involving a team for which he plays (whether he plays in that match or not) is strictly forbidden, and he will have signed an agreement not to place those bets. It is cheating.
    Betting on any football match at pretty much any level, anywhere in the world is strictly prohibited by the FA/FL.
  • Options
    People are actually feeling sorry for Joey Barton? It's Joey Barton FFS!!

What is this forum coming to?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Chizz said:

Uboat said:

sam3110 said:

Of course he shouldn't have done it, but he wasn't playing in the games when he bet his team would lose.
    That, of course, is not the point. The point is that betting on a match involving a team for which he plays (whether he plays in that match or not) is strictly forbidden, and he will have signed an agreement not to place those bets. It is cheating.
    Betting on any football match at pretty much any level, anywhere in the world is strictly prohibited by the FA/FL.
    Does this include non-league?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

bobmunro said:

Chizz said:

Uboat said:

sam3110 said:

Does this include non-league?
    Any football where bookmakers have odds!
  • Options
    To be new head coach of Fleetwood Town from June.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43814308
  • Options
    It will end in tears...
  • Options
    edited April 2018

It will end in tears...

It could well do if he is smoking a cigar in the company of the youth team at the club's Christmas bash :open_mouth: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many Barton threads can there be!?
  • Options
    Two of CL's favourite sons in one interview.  What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhNYu4gElKk