Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joey Barton

Comments

• Is the Halliday who he had the bust up with the same bloke we were supposed to have a deal to sign, but ended up at Boro ?
  • edited September 2016
    backed celtic to lose by more than 3 goals vs barca on his own betfair account...classic. very strict on this i have a mate thats an fa ref does mainly ryman and hes not allowed to bet on any fa matches.
  • backed celtic to lose by more than 3 goals vs barca on his own betfair account...classic. very strict on this i have a mate thats an fa ref does mainly ryman and hes not allowed to bet on any fa matches.

Is he prohibited from betting on a match in a competition Rangers are not playing in?
  • Chizz said:

backed celtic to lose by more than 3 goals vs barca on his own betfair account...classic. very strict on this i have a mate thats an fa ref does mainly ryman and hes not allowed to bet on any fa matches.

Is he prohibited from betting on a match in a competition Rangers are not playing in?
    I think it's betting on/against a team that falls under the same national FA.

If he has done that they have to investigate but if they have do anything is another matter.
  • edited September 2016
    Footballers playing in England are not allowed to bet on any matches Worldwide .
    I would have thought something similar would apply in Scotland .
  • edited September 2016

Footballers playing in England are not allowed to bet on any other matches Worldwide .
    I would have thought something similar would apply in Scotland .

Just looked it up

You are 100% correct, global football betting ban
  • SFA rules state, I believe, that no player is allowed to bet on any football whatsoever.

There is a huge betting culture in Scotland and I have no doubt that he is being used as a scapegoat. Easy target, especially at the moment.........
  • It's only Joey Barton that doesn't realise how stupid Joey Barton is. He's one of those characters in life I seem to be drawn to. An utter, total arsehole but I can see his charm. I have loads of mates like him and you stick with them because you have known then for years but you know they are no good. I will read his book because I think he is such a cunt I prefer to read this sort of story than one of someone I like. I did the same with Simon jordan, Rio ferdinand, James corden and a few others I can't be arsed to recount now.

I'm rarely wrong. They come across as arseholes and upon reading their tomes as subjective as I can find myself agreeing with elements of their mind but mostly I think 'arsehole'
  • I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt and are a victim of circumstances or upbringing but I can't help but get away from my belief that joey Barton is fundamentally and clinically a massive dickhead. Like there is just something in his brain that makes him act like an uppity twat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Player and current club well suited to each other.
  • A period of silence from this publicity-seeking narcissist wouldn't go amiss.

Do us a favour, Joey, and put a sock in it you boring little bastard.
  • Carter said:

It's only Joey Barton that doesn't realise how stupid Joey Barton is. He's one of those characters in life I seem to be drawn to. An utter, total arsehole but I can see his charm. I have loads of mates like him and you stick with them because you have known then for years but you know they are no good. I will read his book because I think he is such a cunt I prefer to read this sort of story than one of someone I like. I did the same with Simon jordan, Rio ferdinand, James corden and a few others I can't be arsed to recount now.

I'm rarely wrong. They come across as arseholes and upon reading their tomes as subjective as I can find myself agreeing with elements of their mind but mostly I think 'arsehole'

Dont know how you can lump Rio Ferdinand in that category at all. Seems a very decent bloke.
  • Barton is and always will be a scumbag. The biggest disgrace are the BBC who continue to get him on as a pundit. Vial human being. The world would be a better place without him. He makes my blood boil I don't think there's anybody involved in sport I detest more then him. He is actually quite a fitting match to a club like rangers it's a pity he might have to come back and look for a club over here.
  • Don't recall any issues with him while he was at Burnley, was that down to Sean Dyche's man management?
  • I hadn't realised that Dyche had offered him a two year deal to stay at Burnley, but he turned it down to move to Rangers, which even without the latest developments seems an odd thing to do.

I read the long interview with him in the Guardian yesterday, and I think he falls into the Tony Adams category of doing some time inside, reading some self help books, hooking up with a counsellor and then a few years later thinks he is Jean Paul Sartre.

Reading his interview yesterday, I think he sees himself as a pseudo manager, whilst perhaps not appreciating that Rangers already have a manager, who probably doesn't enjoyed being undermined by the likes of Barton taking pot shots at the other players.
  • He's a cock, but he beat most of us to seeing how bad Roland would be for us ;)

If I recall correctly, the morning Powell was sacked (and Barton was at QPR?) he took to Twitter to mention how bad a decision it was... and then mentioned foreign ownership in quite a negative light.

I realised then that he may have had a few more braincells than you'd first expect, however his actions are generally downright moronic.
  • I'm halfway through his book. Actually a very good read he is very candid more so than any other sportsman's story I've read. He's nothing if not honest and he isn't afraid to make himself look awful to disclose full details. I think a couple of managers and officials at clubs will not appreciate his honesty but for an autobiography it is well written
  • Sponsored links:

• Belgium football would be perfect for him
  • South American football would suit his personality better, Belgian football is like the country. Boring, cabbage smelly and sterile
  • Carter said:

South American football would suit his personality better, Belgian football is like the country. Boring, cabbage smelly and sterile

I know! I mean, there are all those boring WW1 battlefields/sites that you can visit, a truly humbling experience. Then of course there are boringly beautiful cultural towns like Ypres (completely and utterly destroyed by 1918 then fully rebuilt in all of its original, traditional glory) with its Menin Gate, and Bruges. Not to mention that Brussels is also a boringly decent capital city!!

You're right, more boring than a day out with Billy Boring in Boringsville! #getoutmore :smile:
  • thenewbie said:

Carter said:

I'm halfway through his book. Actually a very good read he is very candid more so than any other sportsman's story I've read. He's nothing if not honest and he isn't afraid to make himself look awful to disclose full details. I think a couple of managers and officials at clubs will not appreciate his honesty but for an autobiography it is well written

How can he not? This is a dude who beat a team mate into a pulp and stubbed a cigarette on someone's face. That is the definition of an awful fucking person.
    His PR people do a great job of building him up as this faux intellectual and seemingly the media are happy to forget all of the appalling things he has done. Compare that to someone like Ashley Cole; a tit, but his indiscretions have not been forgotten (quite rightly) , although he was a great player with around 100 England caps
  • Carter said:

South American football would suit his personality better, Belgian football is like the country. Boring, cabbage smelly and sterile

I know! I mean, there are all those boring WW1 battlefields/sites that you can visit, a truly humbling experience. Then of course there are boringly beautiful cultural towns like Ypres (completely and utterly destroyed by 1918 then fully rebuilt in all of its original, traditional glory) with its Menin Gate, and Bruges. Not to mention that Brussels is also a boringly decent capital city!!

You're right, more boring than a day out with Billy Boring in Boringsville! #getoutmore :smile:
    I've done Belgium, the war graves and significant sites are held apart from the country as an experience. It's a very depressing place.

I must have been and stayed in Belgium more than most and I'm not impressed. I've never hidden my views on here or to anyone who'll listen.

Anyway, Joey Barton

I've finished his story and I have come to the conclusion he's a psychopath, which is not meant as an insult. Loads of successful people are psychopathic. He's always going to be involved in stupidity and I think he accepts that as a trade off to his thoroughness as a professional. I'm sure I'm making it sound like I've fallen for bullshit or whatever and especially given his latest bout of idiocy I'd be misguided but he gets it as far as what football is meant to be about and he speaks very well about us as supporters and the protests and his mistrust/hatred of mental deluded foreign owners.

It was refreshing to read something that was not grey and sycophantic but to read about a very complex and honest (to a fault) individual who could be some of us if the roles were reversed. I certainly found myself agreeing with his attitudes to his peers not showing the same levels of commitment as him or his views in what football has become.

I won't be able to change anyone's mind and I'm not sure mine is but this book is worth a read if autobiographical books are your usual meat and bread. Now I'm getting g back into bed with John King and Bernard Cornwell.
  • Very interesting that you should call him that, as Danny Mills alluded to something very similar on the radio last week. He said that whilst Barton was capable of being bright, articulate and even charming he also said that there were times when he would simply flip and be capable of the most astonishingly frightening outbursts.

He also said that he had personnaly witnessed Barton say things to a managers face, that he felt he should have been sacked for on more than one occasion.

Don't forget Danny Mills is not exactly choir boy material, so if he is saying that he thought Barton was a bit of a psychopath, then i don't think that that can be too far from the truth.
  • Very interesting that you should call him that, as Danny Mills alluded to something very similar on the radio last week. He said that whilst Barton was capable of being bright, articulate and even charming he also said that there were times when he would simply flip and be capable of the most astonishingly frightening outbursts.

He also said that he had personnaly witnessed Barton say things to a managers face, that he felt he should have been sacked for on more than one occasion.

Don't forget Danny Mills is not exactly choir boy material, so if he is saying that he thought Barton was a bit of a psychopath, then i don't think that that can be too far from the truth.

The thing is psychopaths like Richard Branson, James Dyson, Steve Jobs haven't been in newspapers for putting a cigar out in a colleagues eye. But they don't accept second best, Roy Keane is the same. The other side if that is footballers generally lack emotional intelligence so when they see someone else's standards dropping especially someone senior they lack the control to not have outburst's in Barton's case both verbally and physically and I can sympathise to a degree with that. I work with and for some real dunces but I know it won't be great for my longevity in the work place to rip them a new arsehole each time I think their standards drop lower than mine.

He speaks a lot about Steve Black and Peter Kay who are life coach/sports psychology people and they managed to level him out to a point but given the background he is from and how extreme he is that was always going to be a struggle.
  • Joey Barton has been charged by the Scottish FA with betting on 44 matches.