Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

B**ST**DS

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
Just had my elderly neighbour round. She was shopping this afternoon in the Belfry Centre, Redhill, when she discovered her purse had been stolen out of her handbag. She had just drawn £100 out of the ATM to buy presents and they must have been watching. Got the cash and her bank card: they spent £900 on the card before she even realised it had gone. The bank picked up on it and there was a message from them on her 'phone when she got home. She's a widow in her '70s and is nervous as her address was in the purse (but no keys fortunately). I think it just sort of hit her a little while ago so she came round to talk about it and for some comfort etc. OB are going to look at CCTV but think 'hoodies' will stop any positive I.D. At least a drop of brandy cheered her up but I think she'll be in a state all over Christmas. As I said 'b**st**ds!'

Comments

• Everything you just said mate. Poor old girl. Hope she's ok.
    The world makes me mad.
  • There is so much wrong with this world...Hope she is ok
  • yeah and if they do catch up with them they will get a slap of the wrists... !! punishment should be a few of us to take him round the corner and give him a good beating or be shot at dawn (with the old lady taking first aim)
  • What Cuff said.

Bastards!

Hope she recovers soon.
  • thats a sad story just as its coming up to xmas, these sort of ppl have no heart at all and they go for the elderly....cowards

probably a millwall supporter, you know what there like

Hope she gets over this and still can enjoy xmas, all the best to her in the future hope things pick up soon
  • Sums up what a shitty country England has become.

Morally bankrupt.
  • poor lady, there are some right barstards around. CL whip-round anyone ?
  • the sad thing is its not just England its every where. Hope they find them and she has family and friends rally round to make her Christmas great.
  • if they stole her keys i would come down and change her locks 4 free, but wud rather sit in her house wiv a few of the boys waiting 4 these lowlife. Scum
  • Thats a horrible story. Poor woman.

But how did they spend 900 quid on her card? my friend had her purse stolen on Friday and by 7.30 they had spent 350 quidin Tescos. How can they do this without your pin number? I thought chip and pin made it safe?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sums up what a shitty country England has become.

Morally bankrupt.

The people who did it are scum. I hope she gets over it soon. Maybe March51 you could contact victim support for some further help for her.

That people like March51 help their neighbours and SE9Addick offered to help for free shows, to me a least, that we are not morally bankrupt but let's not go down that well worn road again.
  • Thanks (on Freda's behalf) for the kind thoughts folks, she's a bit better today and more 'with it'. And thanks for the offer SE9, fortunately they didn't get her keys, just her address so we're on the look out for any bogus gas men etc. Yes Henry, the police are sending someone from their support outfit round today for a chat with her.Unfortunately her family, who live almost opposite her, act as if she doesn't exist and she moved down from the frozen north just to be near them. A very odd and selfish bunch! So thanks again chaps, will keep you posted on any developments. Oh, the police reckon the thieves somehow got her PIN when she used the ATM, it seems there is an organised gang doing Surrey at the moment.
  • So we can conclude chip and pin is not as safe as made out.

Families eh... !
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Just had my elderly neighbour round. She was shopping this afternoon in the Belfry Centre, Redhill, when she discovered her purse had been stolen out of her handbag. She had just drawn £100 out of the ATM to buy presents and they must have been watching. Got the cash and her bank card: they spent £900 on the card before she even realised it had gone. The bank picked up on it and there was a message from them on her 'phone when she got home. She's a widow in her '70s and is nervous as her address was in the purse (but no keys fortunately). I think it just sort of hit her a little while ago so she came round to talk about it and for some comfort etc. OB are going to look at CCTV but think 'hoodies' will stop any positive I.D. At least a drop of brandy cheered her up but I think she'll be in a state all over Christmas. As I said 'b**st**ds!'

Bas***ds

Seriously robbing an elderly lady - Flippin DISGUSTING!

I HATE THE YOUTH OF TODAY'S ATTITUDE GRRRRRRRRRRRR.....

I really hope she's ok. Hopefully the extra 200 police officers due to be recruited in the surrey area over the next couple of years should go towards rectifying such little bas***ds....
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]So we can conclude chip and pin is not as safe as made out.

Families eh... !
    Should be chip pin and sign if they want to make it so secure!
  • Not all 'the youth of today' would consider doing something like this, Dazzler. The vast, vast majority would react in the same way that CL folk have. I feel sorry for them on the whole because people always think that they are all queueing up to mug, rob etc. The vast, vast majority aren't.

As Henry said, there are scum everywhere who do stuff like this, but 99% of people would not. So the 'morally bankrupt' behaviour of that 1% does not reflect the moral fibre of the country. The thing that I have noticed most in the past few days is the amount of help that people have been giving each other. Admittedly, there is more community spirit where I live compared to most of the South-East, but things aren't that bad yet. Luckily, there are people like March51 about who care.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Thanks (on Freda's behalf) for the kind thoughts folks, she's a bit better today and more 'with it'. And thanks for the offer SE9, fortunately they didn't get her keys, just her address so we're on the look out for any bogus gas men etc. Yes Henry, the police are sending someone from their support outfit round today for a chat with her.Unfortunately her family, who live almost opposite her, act as if she doesn't exist and she moved down from the frozen north just to be near them. A very odd and selfish bunch! So thanks again chaps, will keep you posted on any developments. Oh, the police reckon the thieves somehow got her PIN when she used the ATM, it seems there is an organised gang doing Surrey at the moment.

March, I do a lot of work around crime prevention with the elderly. There's an awful of psychology around elderly victims and they react very, very, differently to the rest of us e.g. the fear of losing their independence leading to them not disclosing to anyone they've been a victim especially the family. As others have suggested I'd really recommend putting her in touch with Victim Support who are trained to get her through these feelings and hopefully she can carry on living a normal, independent life.

Unfortunately, I know of many instances where elderly victims haven't had any support so good on you for being there for her yesterday too.
  • Hope she is ok. This is not right old people should feel safe but with the polices attitude towards this sort of thing how can they. The police in this country are so wrong in the way they go about things, they wont even try to identify these wankers and just blame it on the fact they were wearing hoodies. But instead they will waste there time trying to stop people taking drugs, complete waste of time these sort of crimes are far more imprtant than some ididot getting high surely. I know they have a job to do but someone at the top just needs to use a bit of common sense.
  • Yes Henry, the police are sending someone from their support outfit round today for a chat with her.

Great nice to see they care a little bit then.
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I feel sorry for them on the whole because people always think that they are all queueing up to mug, rob etc. The vast, vast majority aren't.
    yes I know that I am only 21 myself but have to point out it's not a vast majority anymore just ever so slightly a majority!
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]But instead they will waste there time trying to stop people taking drugs
    hmm yes getting drugs off the street is so wrong?!?!?

The police will try to identify these scum but fact is hoodies do mask CCTV which is normally above head height! One day these scum will get caught and learn why you never pick up the soap!
  • Right chaps, police support are there now and they've spoken to the neighbours on the other side and to us, they're taking this pretty seriously. It seems the offenders hit five different banks/building societies with her card in under an hour 'til someone somewhere pulled the plug on it. They didn't try to use it in any shops nor did they go above £200 on any of the ATMs. She's an active, independent minded person but your right BA, this has shaken her up, especially as they've got her name and address etc. (bus pass was in the purse too). Hopefully they only wanted the cash. She'll be coming to our place for Christmas Day, and the other neighbour for Boxing Day: the family aren't bothered!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]But instead they will waste there time trying to stop people taking drugs
    hmm yes getting drugs off the street is so wrong?!?!?

The police will try to identify these scum but fact is hoodies do mask CCTV which is normally above head height! One day these scum will get caught and learn why you never pick up the soap![/quote]

I diddnt mean getting drugs of the street is wrong just feel its a waste of time as they will always be there and arresting people for something as minor as marijuana is a bit of a waste of police time when they could be dealing with real crimes. Drug operations are generally a waste of time as for every source they arrest there will be another one within a week doing the same ballshite ans it all seems like a big waste of time effort and money. As for the latter part of your post i hope your right cos thats all people like this deserve.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite] the family aren't bothered!

They live in the same street and are letting her go to neighbours for Xmas. Sounds like she's been mugged twice with the family being the worse.
  • yes thats what i thought but nowt as queer as folk.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite] the family aren't bothered!

'kin 'ell.

no. 1 suspects for me.
  • Most of my feelings summed up in the above, this scum make feel sick.
    Put me down for a contribution and maybe send the Good Lady a bunch of flowers.
  • yes i will be up for small contribution to her
  • The Bank will refund her money. It's common to watch over someone's shoulder at an ATM.

It happened to my mother-in-law in Woolwich a couple of months ago. They chuck a £5 note on the floor, point it out to the "victim" and whilst they are picking it up, they are off with your card and making the maximum withdrawal at the nearest cashpoint.
  • edited December 2009
    "They chuck a £5 note on the floor, point it out to the "victim" and whilst they are picking it up, they are off with your card"

that was on crimewatch lastnight.
    I'm sure we could all put in a couple of quid in for her , just to show that there are decent people out there and to give her a good christmas.
    Wouldnt you just love 5 minutes alone in a room with the scum who does that.
  • That's really nice fellas but I don't know how we'd do it. I'm out in the sticks and can't make it up to the Valley on Boxing Day 'cos of family things. I'll get a card anyway and do it from all the Lifers that have posted on this thread, O.K?Don't know what she'll make of some of the names, though!

I might as well tell you about the background to the family 'problems' as I've already gone and mentioned them: Freda bought her house to be near her daughter who suffered a degenerative problem and was constantly in and out of hospital, The husband is next to useless and is mostly in the pub. The two grandaughters are in their twenties and come and go, only seeing Freda when they need subbing for something. Tragically Freda's daughter died and she now sees the family even less than she did before, though she still goes over there to feed their cat and tidy up (with no thanks offered), An example: on her recent birthday we took Freda up to the pub for a meal and the son-in-law was there . She'd had no cards from them and no-one had come over to see her,from 200 yards away! He came over and asked what was occuring and Freda told him so he said "Have you fed the cat?" I honestly don't know how I didn't smack him one, probably because Mrs.M was hanging on to my arm just in case! One of the grandaughters phoned up this afternoon (from over the road) but otherwise they've ignored her, as usual.
  • March51, if you can find any way to put together a contribution, count me in for definite.