Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Camping

13»

Comments

• Options

T_C_E said:

My family motto is "Notis un you lifeio"
    Which translated means, if you don't have a concierge I'm not coming in. ;)

I'm honestly surprised by that - obviously don't know you personally TCE but from what I know on here could have easily seen you being the walk in the woods, camp/caravan, night sitting around outside with a drink type... all with the dogs obviously!
    No not me, I lovewalking with my dogs and we often sit outside in the garden until it's too cold and late into the evening. But the thought of walking up under canvas just makes my blood run cold and as for a ChemiKarzy!! I stayed in a caravan for a year one weekend, hated it. I understand with young families do it for financial reasons and others because they enjoy it but it's not for me. My dogs go five star boarding and so do we when go away. :)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

T_C_E said:

My family motto is "Notis un you lifeio"
    Which translated means, if you don't have a concierge I'm not coming in. ;)

I'm honestly surprised by that - obviously don't know you personally TCE but from what I know on here could have easily seen you being the walk in the woods, camp/caravan, night sitting around outside with a drink type... all with the dogs obviously!
    No not me, I lovewalking with my dogs and we often sit outside in the garden until it's too cold and late into the evening. But the thought of walking up under canvas just makes my blood run cold and as for a ChemiKarzy!! I stayed in a caravan for a year one weekend, hated it. I understand with young families do it for financial reasons and others because they enjoy it but it's not for me. My dogs go five star boarding and so do we when go away. :)
    Time flies when you're having fun
  • Options

Good luck to the campers, but I'll never appreciate the enjoyment.
    I mean if it's good, why do we all have a lovely bed and bedroom ?
    Why don't we just sleep in the garden ?

Because some people like the outdoors (weirdos, copyright @oohaahmortimer ).

More importantly, for the rest of us it’s the most cost effective type of break. Which sometimes is the difference of going away / not going away.
    We did caravans in Cornwall/Dorset for a few years, when ours were young and that was bearable (just), but sleeping in a tent no chance.
    I'd rather stay at home.

Good luck to all that enjoy it though/bear with it out of necessity.
    Caravan for a week in Devon in August on a half decent park is approx £1.2k to £2k
    How much would a B&B cost ?
    No idea. But not much fun for a couple of 7yr olds
  • Options

More importantly, for the rest of us it’s the most cost effective type of break. Which sometimes is the difference of going away / not going away.
    We did caravans in Cornwall/Dorset for a few years, when ours were young and that was bearable (just), but sleeping in a tent no chance.
    I'd rather stay at home.

Caravan for a week in Devon in August on a half decent park is approx £1.2k to £2k
    That's mental !

We rented a 6 bedroom house In West Lulworth, Dorset last August for £2k...it WAS a one off though...

Huge grounds, trampoline, grass tennis court, beautiful indoors with everything you could ever wish for on holiday.

And 10 min walk to beautiful Lulworth Cove.

OK - no entertainment included but Bovington Tank Museum, Monkey World, The Etches Collection ( fossils) nearby - to name a few- there's certainly loads to keep the family happy.
  • Options
    Wow that's a blast from the past. We camped there a few times when I was a kid. I remember walking through some fields to the clifftop where you can choose to either walk down some steps or take the monorail down the cliff into Hastings. A very old memory :smile:
  • Options

Wow that's a blast from the past. We camped there a few times when I was a kid. I remember walking through some fields to the clifftop where you can choose to either walk down some steps or take the monorail down the cliff into Hastings. A very old memory :smile:
    A Charlton fan who doesn't know the difference between a funicular and a monorail?
  • Options

I'd rather stay at home.

This was my view till I had kids and a) they love it which makes me happy, b) I bought a tent I can stand up in and has compartments which is the only way it is ok and c) my cousins love it so much that when we go with them they do all the cooking, have tables/chairs, light the campfire etc etc.
  • Options

I'd rather stay at home.

This was my view till I had kids and a) they love it which makes me happy, b) I bought a tent I can stand up in and has compartments which is the only way it is ok and c) my cousins love it so much that when we go with them they do all the cooking, have tables/chairs, light the campfire etc etc.
    What's your tent?
  • Options

I'd rather stay at home.

What's your tent?
    No idea, it is a pretty cheap one which is for 6 people but only 4 of us in it... has a porch and sleep compartments etc but was less than £100 I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Go camping a couple of times a year, at least one beer festival with mates and music festival with family. Now we've got a dog will be doing more. There's a big one near Bodiam that's fairly cheap https://parkfarmcamping.co.uk/ been to a few times. Facilities fairly basic but it gets the kids out in the open air, you can have a fire (they sell you the wood) and you can walk to the castle and pub along the river.

There's a nice site just outside Norwich as well, bit pricier, but you can walk into Norwich and you're next to a broad https://www.whitlinghambroadcampsite.com/
    Again, they let you have fires (and there's glamping options for softies). I noticed a few footie fans use this one as it's handy for Carrow Rd.

To add: we've got a decent tent that goes up quickly and has lots of space (3 inner bedrooms). Khyam is the maker. Only problem is fitting it in the small family saloon....
    If you're doing it as a family break, you need something that can cope with the weather and allows you to all be inside if it does get bad and the pub is not an option.
  • Options
    Up at Kylesku Bridge far north west Scotland, and I have to say the weather is wonderful. Wild camping now and its free! Just happens to be the best stop of the trip so far, walking distance to the sea loch and a lovely little hotel which I last visited in 1983. To say its changed a bit is an understatement.
  • Options
    Get a campervan - makes it much easier and more comfortable!
  • Options

Get a campervan - makes it much easier and more comfortable!

Defeats the object of it being cheap!
  • Options
    My daughter's new surname is Camping now she's married. I can't help it, but try not laughing out loud when you hear someone say "I've booked a table for three for Camping".
  • Options

My daughter's new surname is Camping now she's married. I can't help it, but try not laughing out loud when you hear someone say "I've booked a table for three for Camping".

I worked in a bar a few years ago and one of the regulars was called John Swinger. I was always sad he never booked up for a meal so I could say "table for the Swingers" and see everyone's faces.
  • Options

I'd rather stay at home.

How much would a B&B cost ?
    No idea. But not much fun for a couple of 7yr olds
    Cant you take the kids out of school for a week.
  • Options

Any recommendations for sites within an hour drive (Kent, Sussex) Good for kids?

we're off to Broadhembury (near Ashford) this Friday for 5 nights - taking our touring Caravan, will let you know what it's like.....has got cracking reviews and the weather forecast is good (which is half of it)
    @AFKABartram mate, if you want to proper camp, then this place was the absolute nuts - had 4 static caravans for hire (expensive) and then loads of 'owned' vans + stacks of space for touring caravans and plenty of people just in tents....2 separate fields, one for families and one just for adults...absolute first class facilities, shower block etc all brand new (heated floors) and superb play park for the kids including a grass 5 a side football pitch and games room with pool/table tennis/table football and skittles + a TV lounge for them. Site was totally safe and an electronic gate prevented them from leaving the designated family, ours roamed around all weekend and made loads of mates.....the cracking weather helped.

great little shop on site and all the staff couldn't do enough + loads of places to go within a 20/30 min radius. We did Dymchurch on the Sunday for a few hours.

would 100% recommend it, google Broadhembury Caravan and Camping.
  • Options
    Just got back from Camping down Dymchurch (for 1st time) could have guaranteed it would be the first time it rained for weeks, tent got battered and flooded after a few hours of setting up luckily there was enough room in pals tent which survived, had a good laugh down there but much prefer a caravan holiday, would do it again though.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    If you don't want to go too far thenhttps://kingsdowncamping.co.uk/ this campsite is perfect. Loads of space just an hour from SE London and views to die for. Very well run, they don't tolerate loud young idiots. Excellent washing etc facilities. Kingsdown is a little village near Deal in Kent. 3 pubs within walking distance plus a path down to the beach. You can clearly see @i_b_b_o_r_g's newsagents on a clear day.
    You can BBQ or have a fire (pits provided) £10 per night for adults. We went 2 weeks ago. Bliss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just got back from Camping down Dymchurch (for 1st time) could have guaranteed it would be the first time it rained for weeks, tent got battered and flooded after a few hours of setting up luckily there was enough room in pals tent which survived, had a good laugh down there but much prefer a caravan holiday, would do it again though.

What site did you stay at?
  • Options

What site did you stay at?
    New Beach.