Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Bent still doing the business....

One of our most reviled ex-players joined Boro as Wee Gordon's first signing on October 30th.

Since then they have won only one in seven and have plummeted from 4th to 11th.

Are the two events perhaps related?

As an aside, who else reckons Boro will be in the third-tier within two years?

Comments

• Options
    Boro are a bit off my radar, if I'm honest, Ormy.

;o)
  • Options
    i think they'll be mid table championship for a few years .....
    bent was chuff in the small amount i saw yesterday he partnered lita
    cardiff's skipper is hudson 3rd in the table they are, we certainly get the worst out of some of our players
  • Options
    You may be right Orms, along with Portsmouth?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    cardiff's skipper is hudson 3rd in the table they are, we certainly get the worst out of some of our players

Something in what you say there, Ooh Aaaargh.
    We signed Hudson because he was the skipper and rock in a Palace defence that conceded the least goals in the division.

But as always, it's always about getting the right combination of players and confidence in a team.
    That's the manager's job.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think they'll be mid table championship for a few years .....
    bent was chuff in the small amount i saw yesterday he partnered lita
    cardiff's skipper is hudson 3rd in the table they are, we certainly get the worst out of some of our players[/quote]

Hmmmmm, I don't think we hated Hudson in the same way as we did Bent!

Although, you are right, he is playing very well for Cardiff, much better than he did for us.
  • Options
    Also, they got 17k yesterday, the lowest ever crowd at the Riverside. We never hit those depths in the Championship did we?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bent had a decent chance yesterday, took too long as he always does, still had a chance to shoot, but passed to someone in a worse position.

Nothing changes :-)

Marcus Bent is the opitome of what went wrong with Charlton.
  • Options
    Everton must be laughing that we paid so much for him. Boro is his 12th club, you wonder why managers keep bothering with him
  • Options
    Marcus Bent was a waste and will always be a waste. Hudson is a good example of another player who did nothing with us but is flying for another team. Ambrose although he did well for us is now flying at Palace (shame). Boro 3rd tier???? No, never, maybe mid champ team for a while but never 3rd tier again. Foyd Montana you may have got it right with pompey though they look in free fall but are still in the prem fo now so we will see Pompey have no money boro i believe do.
  • Options
    I think Hull are in more danger of the third tier if they go down than Boro tbh. Strachan is a good manager and I think will get it right there. They reminded me a little of us a couple of years ago when our away form was very good but at home we could be abysmal (plymouth, qpr, burnley, colchester home etc)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]I think Hull are in more danger of the third tier if they go down than Boro tbh. Strachan is a good manager and I think will get it right there. .......

Just seeing the irony behind what I'm reading. Like to paraphrase a couple of years ago ......

"I think Watford are in more danger of the third tier if they go down than Charlton tbh. Pardew is a good manager and I think will get it right there. ..."

Not taking the piss at all, Dan, just seeing perhaps how other club's fans may have seen us at the time(!)

Could happen to Strachan and Boro - or anyone.
    It happened to us.

;o)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Marcus Bent was a waste and will always be a waste. Hudson is a good example of another player who did nothing with us but is flying for another team. Ambrose although he did well for us is now flying at Palace (shame). Boro 3rd tier???? No, never, maybe mid champ team for a while but never 3rd tier again. Foyd Montana you may have got it right with pompey though they look in free fall but are still in the prem fo now so we will see Pompey have no money boro i believe do.[/quote]

Boro seem to have a hell of a lot of the same things going on at their club as we had at ours when our decline started.

You get the feeling that the players there were very unhappy about Big Nose getting the sack and it seems to have dragged the club right down.

They have a lot of young, home grown players who were brought through by Southgate and that could be a factor.

The CCC is a very competitive league and any frailities get exposed very quickly as we found out last year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

The CCC is a very competitive league and any frailities get exposed very quickly as we found out last year.

Yep, especially if you can't defend and you can't score either.
    A split dressing room hardly helps.

Especially also if you've got a megalomaniac manager.
    As we found out last year.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

The CCC is a very competitive league and any frailities get exposed very quickly as we found out last year.[/quote]

Yep, especially if you can't defend and you can't score either.
    A split dressing room hardly helps.

Especially also if you've got a megalomaniac manager.
    As we found out last year.[/quote]

Yes, I bet Wee Gordon is finding out that life in the CCC is just a bit harder than the Glasgow Annual Two Horse Race....
  • Options
    I had to laugh when i saw this on a Boro site. When it was suggested that M.Bent and Killen would be starting for Boro on Saturday it lead one fan to rank their strikers:

like it or lump it, aliadiere is currently the best striker we have by a mile

aliadiere
    then lita
    then i'm guessing chris killen
    then emnes
    then luke williams

then after danny coyne marcus bent

For those who don't know Danny Coyne is a Boro goalkeeper!
  • Options
    I was at the Newcastle v Boro game before Christmas and when Bent came on, I turned to my Newcastle supporting mate and told him Bent was toilet and we proceeded to laugh at him for the next 45 minutes as he proved me TOTALLY right

Marcus Bent - I honestly don't know how he's been a pro for so long at such a high level

He's SHIT, no sorry - his attitude and workrate is shit and god knows how top level managers don't see that when I can
  • Options
    How much flippin money has that knob made from his transfer fees?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]I was at the Newcastle v Boro game before Christmas and when Bent came on, I turned to my Newcastle supporting mate and told him Bent was toilet and we proceeded to laugh at him for the next 45 minutes as he proved me TOTALLY right

Marcus Bent - I honestly don't know how he's been a pro for so long at such a high level

He's SHIT, no sorry - his attitude and workrate is shit and god knows how top level managers don't see that when I can

In January 2006, it was announced that Bent had signed for Charlton Athletic in a deal worth £2.3 million. When Curbs signed him, he said that he had been chasing for a long time. Everton manager David Moyes said "It represents a good profit for us for an average player". Bent had only cost the Toffees £450,000 from Ipswich Town.
  • Options
    Hes poo always will be poo. Hope he does well were ever he goes though :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Everton manager David Moyes said "It represents a good profit for us for an average player"

What was David Moyes secret.....?

Re-running the video in my mind, I seem to recall the year before Everton had a storming season, finishing top 4 or 5, with Tim Cahill driving midfield in a 4-5-1 and Mucus Bent ploughing a lonely furrow up front.

But the defining point was ...... our old chum Mucus worked his sphericals off for the team cause.

He might have scored only 7 goals himself, but chased everything and created the space for midfielders to rack up goal after goal.

That was the M Bent that Curbs had watched, no wonder our manager decided to get him - regardless of cost.
    Good workrate and 2 goals in his first 3 or 4 games for us was enough effort expended, and he would be coasting after that .......practically the only time he scored was in a hotel room with some old strumpet.

Curbs had a reputation for getting the best out of average players - but he couldn't with Mucus Bent.
    David Moyes did. So what was his secret .....?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's always been shite, but overpaid for being shite - he was driving an Aston Martin during his time with us.
  • Options
    Okay ..... but if David Moyes could make the lazy f*ker graft, why couldn't Curbs?
  • Options
    i watched some of the old charlton season review dvd's and saw marcus bent playing for ipswitch town (scoring against us) and to my surprise, he was once a fairly good footballer...
  • Options
    he also scored a wicked goal for leicester against us that season they went down. i thought he was alright for us tbh, and he scored against chelsea to earn us a draw. BUT HE COST US THE SAME AS DARREN. BELLEND.
  • Options
    yeah, that dipping volley.....
  • Options
    The secret is with these players is get them for FOOK all. As soon as it was obvious he was utter shite in the prem for Blackburn he should never have commanded a big fee again. Only morons like Peter Taylor would pay big money for him. Curbs had some absolute winners in his back pocket, but there is no excuse for Marcus Bent. Both Rob Hulse and Ashton were available at that or less price at that time, on the up, much more mobile, much better in the air and both effective. Paul Dickov was, is and always will be ten times the player Bent ever was.

Why buy a player for near his biggest ever fee, when he'd been shit all that season? At least players like Davies and Zamora put the god damn effort in whatever. Bent battled in front of a very good mifield for a season, then became absolute atrocious whilst Everton fans couldn't believe the dog shite drop off in form. Like Boothroyd if you get him for free fine, he may just about do a job. Most likely he won't. Whether Curbs was involved in agreeing the fee it was his fault for allowing such a ridiculous price to be justifiable. I remember Moyes's press conference, you could hear the surprise in his voice. Macrus Bent is the classic example of many managers judging a player on what he could do with his impressive physique not what he has consitently not done all through his career.

Second to Amdy Faye in my most dislike players list.
  • Options
    He's had a good couple of seasons in his time, at Sheffield Utd he did ok, as mentioned above he had 1 good year with Everton as well and i seem to recall him doing ok at Ipswich, didn't he score twice in the first 10 minutes of a game against us at the Valley for them?

Obviously he's past it now but he's been ok for some clubs in the past.
  • Options
    marcus bent was in a bar in newcastle at the weekend drunk and harrassing a relative of darren bent that i work with. another interesting fact is that the bar they were in is partly owned by a charlton st holder.

anyway, he's a muppet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Okay ..... but if David Moyes could make the lazy f*ker graft, why couldn't Curbs?

Curbs only managed him for 3 or 4 months and he was injured for some of that time.

Not Curbs best signing for sure but forced upon him because of a longterm injury to Bartlett.
  • Options
    He was prolific at Sheffield United for almost a season. After that never reached that scoring highlight, and was highly over paid. If he gave a return like he did at Leicester and Everton, where he was no fee it's acceptable. But steady to below average returns whislt at Ipswich and Blackburn, where he cost big money and wages are useless..... sends you bankrupt quicker than he can pick up a Hollyoak's date.