Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Office: An American Workplace

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
Anyone else into this?

Better than the British one in my reckoning.

Dwight is one of the best comedy characters ever, as is Creed.

Reckons?

Comments

• Think the original Office is better but love An American Workplace. It's different enough from the original to be good and not just a rip off. The scene where Dwight stages the fake fire drill is one of the funniest things I've ever seen!
  • It's not better than the British one, as no one could ever quite match up to Gervais, but Steve Carrell is certainly excellent, and the supporting characters are arguably more varied and interesting. That they've maintained the quality over so many episodes is astonishing.

I think Creed is criminally underused
  • I think it's better than the UK version because there are more laugh out loud moments IMO. Dwight is one of the best characters ever created for TV, described as being a 'fascist nerd'.

ITV have totally cocked up the scheduling though, the first three series were run virtually concurrent with broadcasts in America then about 18 months ago just stopped. Since then in the US they've marched on and are halfway through series 6, yet here we're stuck on series 3 FFS.
  • Ok

Perhaps I should have said it's better in different ways to the original one.

When Jim sends Dwight faxes from Stamford to Scranton from 'future Dwight' I nearly threw up laughing.

Creed is used just right I think, if he was used more he would lose his appeal!! He's a complete wrong un!
  • [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]I think it's better than the UK version because there are more laugh out loud moments IMO. Dwight is one of the best characters ever created for TV, described as being a 'fascist nerd'.

ITV have totally cocked up the scheduling though, the first three series were run virtually concurrent with broadcasts in America then about 18 months ago just stopped. Since then in the US they've marched on and are halfway through series 6, yet here we're stuck on series 3 FFS.

That is where I was leading. The DVD of series four is not out here until bloody April next year!! Give me that any day of the week over shit like the x factor or celebrities in the jungle (those are two of the most offensive things I have ever had the misfortune to stumble across) ITV or whoever took a chance on series 4, 5 and six would smash the ratings.

Then again, curb your enthusiasm is only on E4 at 11.30 once in a blue moon, just proving that people in charge of scheduling are morons!
  • Not better than the original, just different.

Along with CYE both are TV gold, not much else is these days.
  • edited December 2009
    It's better IMHO. I don't look at the original 'Office' as a pure comedy though - if it was I wouldn't have bothered too much with it. It's far more involved than the average sitcom. The American 'Office', however, is ridiculously funny (although the current series isn't as good, and the end of season 5 kind of trailed off as well, so it might be in terminal decline)

Bollocks to TV companies scheduling, I download 'em all off the t'internet
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm makes me weep with laughter but the one or two episodes of The Office (american version) I thought have been a bit weak but they were from very early on.

Larry David seducing the "wheelie" as he called her - man oh man does that compare well to the garbage that I happened to catch on BBC1 last night, Big Top, quite possibly the worst sitcom ever.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Curb Your Enthusiasm makes me weep with laughter but the one or two episodes of The Office (american version) I thought have been a bit weak but they were from very early on.

Larry David seducing the "wheelie" as he called her - man oh man does that compare well to the garbage that I happened to catch on BBC1 last night, Big Top, quite possibly the worst sitcom ever.

Good lord that was funny, stashing one of them in the cupboard!
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Good lord that was funny, stashing one of them in the cupboard!

Listing her as Wendy Wheelchair on his Blackberry. LMAO.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Curb Your Enthusiasm makes me weep with laughter but the one or two episodes of The Office (american version) I thought have been a bit weak but they were from very early on.
    Yeah - to be fair, the first series was pretty lame a lot of the time - they used the UK series' ideas and a lot of the scripts and it didn't work well. Once they got the go-ahead to use their own writers and own scripts it became much, much funnier
  • Have you got a link mate? All the ones I've tried need details or want me to fill out bullshit surveys
  • edited December 2009
    Ninjavideo.net is the place to be

http://www.ninjavideo.net/cat/133

If you want to watch it in divX or HD, make sure you click the 'ninjavideo helper' thing
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Have you got a link mate? All the ones I've tried need details or want me to fill out bullshit surveys
    Torrents all the way - just use EZTV. Download it in HD - Robert's your father's brother
  • There's only 'one' The Office....and that's the original!
  • Sorted, into Series 5 now. Cheers
  • the first series of the american office when the episodes are based on the english ones is the worst - after that it is brilliant. agree creed is used the perfect amount. dwight is ridiculous, one of the most amusing bits is when him and jim go to a sales meeting and jim says "after you" to let him walk through the door first and dwight refuses and starts chatting about the percentage chance of being attacked from the rear, to which jim goes "so there is x percent chance you could get attacked from the rear" and then dwight goes yeh but i could always block the blow, and -

then jim just interrupts him mid-sentence by slapping him round the face!
  • agree that the American version is much more of a sitcom, whereas the english version is much more than that. I think this comes from the fact that there are always so m$any more episodes of American programmes, allowing for more deviating from the main plotline.

Overall i reckon that the english version is better, even if only because it is english so we can relate to it slightly more.

Good to see some actually entertaining telly like the office and CYI coming from the US, rather than some of the utter shite from the BBC lately.

Miranda has to be the worst programme ever made, and quite literally the epitome of what Gervais was slating with "When the Whistle Blows" in Extras. correct me if i'm wrong
  • Some highlights of the fourth series

Michael and Jan's dinner party and Dwights guest.

Dwights breakdown over Angela

Holly thinking Kevin is a 'special person' and then being amazed that Michael let him go down the shops on his own and helping him at the vending machine. Then Kevin thinking she wanted to shag him!!

Creed
  • [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]agree that the American version is much more of a sitcom, whereas the english version is much more than that. I think this comes from the fact that there are always so m$any more episodes of American programmes, allowing for more deviating from the main plotline.

Overall i reckon that the english version is better, even if only because it is english so we can relate to it slightly more.

Good to see some actually entertaining telly like the office and CYI coming from the US, rather than some of the utter shite from the BBC lately.

Miranda has to be the worst programme ever made, and quite literally the epitome of what Gervais was slating with "When the Whistle Blows" in Extras. correct me if i'm wrong

Correcting you as requested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody love this programme. Agree that you can't compare the two Offices, they're completely different. But I think the Jim & Pam story is much more engrossing than the Tim & Dawn one.

"There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, 'what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?' He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
  • Right I've now seen Michael drag Meredith literally drag her, into rehab. Dwight get pinned to a hedge by a Prius, Angela cough up a furball.

My new favourite bit being Dwight starting a fire (as a realistic drill) then mutilate resussy-Annie with a hunting knife

Dwights dream about chomping through ambilical cords was a high as well
  • Carter, when you run out of Office episodes to watch, check out Modern Family if you haven't already.
  • I've heard about that, I've got to cross the bridge of finding a way to download the last few episodes from series five first. Anyone can give me a dickhead proof link to getting my paws on episodes 20+ of series five will be rewarded with beer
  • I'd tell but it'd be ignored then someone else will give a worse link and someone else would thank them so i won't bother.
  • Don't be so hard on yourself. Gwan I won't ignore you mr Threadkiller sir
  • Right, I'm completely on top of the Office now.

Dwight still makes me laugh so much I could shit custard, 'My Grandfather Manneheim was a good man, who did some VERY bad things'

Family guy is on order from Amazon, the dog who fancies the mum is genius.

Season 6 is some of the funniest stuff I have seen, I didn't think Americans could be this funny but the wedding is gold
  • http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/44442

Watch the Dwight and Andy show
  • I've run out of places I can watch this outside of the US. Does anyone know of any streaming sites that I can see season 7 on in the UK???

Cheers
  • Carts - just download them from torrent sites. EZTV is a good one