Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Having slammed Thierry Henry....

....for being a cheating French b'stard the other week I felt very humbled by the latest actions of Steven "Best Midfielder in the World" Gerrard on the weekend.

Did anyone see his dive against Blackburn? I know he has form in this regard but Saturday's example was outrageous, the defender quite literally did not touch Gerrard as he won the ball (the slow-mo replay proved this) but good old Stevie G dived through the air anyway and yelled at the referee for a penalty.

They're all as bad as each other really, aren't they?

Comments

• Options
    excuse me but this was discussed at length on talksport yesterday and I think you'll find that as he didn't appeal for it then it doesn't count as a dive so you'd better quickly change the subject and talk about something else
  • Options
    What about Hermans dive on Saturday?
    He admitted it was never a penalty, but that he anticipated a touch and therefore 'lost his footing'.
    'It was not a penalty but wasnt a dive' he said.
  • Options
    True, I had forgotten that, but Gerrard does have "form" in this department.

Mind you, I remember Herman also going down mysteriously at home to Wigan in late 2007 to win a crucial match-winning penalty as well!!!
  • Options
    Gerard is an outrageous cheat. (full stop) IMO
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Gerard is an outrageous cheat. (full stop) IMO

NAILED ON FACT I'll have you know.

Ormiston you're right, all footballers are the same.

Throw-ins - Southend's left back appealed for every single one, even when he clearly knew it had come off him last.
    Corners - Chelsea's corner at the weekend: Ashley Cole wasn't going to admit it was a goal kick.
    Goals - Paul Scharner's goal against Spurs - controlled it with his hand then scored.

I'm not saying it's up to the players to admit every wrong doing. I do think officials behind the goal would help. It wouldn't eradicate all officiating mistakes, but even if it makes the referee get an extra couple of decisions correct in every game surely it's worth it?
  • Options
    He's been throwing himself to the ground for years.

A particuarly pathetic dive against the mighty Andora sticks in the mind. I also remember him slamming the ball in from a 30 yard freekick he won by diving against Villa a couple of years ago, only to talk at length a few weeks later about being cheated out of a game when an oposition player dived to win a penalty.

Wonderful player. But like all good players willing to blatently cheat to give his side an advantage.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm still pissed off with Lampard for diving into the area for a penalty against us a few seasons back.
  • Options
    Gerrard dives to "win" England a penalty in the last minute of the World Cup semi-final against Argentia, then picks himself up and scores from the spot.

Outrageous cheat who should be strung up; or national hero?
  • Options
    No one moans about Owens dive for the pen against the Argies in 2002.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Gerrard dives to "win" England a penalty in the last minute of the World Cup semi-final against Argentia, then picks himself up and scores from the spot.

National hero. However, I still think measures should be taken to try and help the referees get the decisions correct.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It happens either they try to eradicate it by post match bans or they just get on with it as one of those things that happens in football.
  • Options
    They are all amateurs compared to Martin Pringle. I used to go home convinced he had been hacked down, only to see on MOTD it was at most a very strong breeze knocking him off balance. Garry Nelson could take a tumble as well, only his were pretty obvious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]No one moans about Owens dive for the pen against the Argies in 2002.

I did!

I agree with everyone else on here that the modern player does seem to do it more than I ever remember it happening as a kid. It might be a rosy memory of course but I don't remember Killer throwing himself to the ground if someone so much as tapped his ankles. More likely he stayed on his feet and smashed it into the net and then at the first opportunity he had got in a sneaky one on the oppo who tried to bring him down.

Don't get me started on the appealing for every throw thing...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I'm still pissed off with Lampard for diving into the area for a penalty against us a few seasons back.

That was unbelieveable. Chelsea's last home game of the season, title winners.... a rare (at that time) Charlton-like performance, 0-0 and we may even have nicked it earlier. Then literally just before the end, Lampard going towards the box and Fortune tried to get the ball, barely any (if any) contact, and if there was, it was OUTSIDE the box!!!
    (and why was Fortune not sent off if it WAS a pen?)

To make matters worse we were in a pub with quite a few Chelsea, and when Anderson saved the pen, I let out a huge roar only for them to get the rebound.

Bloody disgusting, though...
  • Options
    I think Henry dived for arsenal's penalty in the famous 4-2 at the library. Of course, as they lost it was forgotten. But he still cheated, I reckon, so the handball aint the first time.
  • Options
    Although the Lampard example was an absolute joke, again it was the ref's fault for giving a penalty instead of a free kick. It was so obvious that it was outside the box.
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]
    To make matters worse we were in a pub with quite a few Chelsea, and when Anderson saved the pen, I let out a huge roar only for them to get the rebound.

I too feel your pain in this regard - did exactly the same thing in my student union
  • Options
    The Henry one at Highbury in the 4-2 was a brilliant challenge from Fish, not sure if it was a "dive" but after the other week I have no respect for Henry
  • Options
    Rather like we invented the game and then the rest of the world got better than us at it, the concept of diving may have been invented on foreign shores but some of the British players are becoming amoungst the worst for it. Gerrard, Owen, Joe Cole, Rooney all love a dive. Of course no-one was complaing when Owen dived to win an important penalty in the world cup a few years back (was it vs Argentina or Germany or someone like that?)

One thing that goes on to encourage this though is the seeming refusal of referees to give a freekick unless the player actually hits the deck - there was a classic example on Saturday, Sam was being niggled away at for a good 20 seconds and tried to stay on his feet, but was going nowhere because the defender was all over him. Eventually Sam started to lose control of the ball and went down in a slight theatrical manner and lo-and-behold we immediately get the free kick. In other words there's no incentive to gamble on getting to the ball by staying on your feet, because if you do and you don't manage to get the ball you won't get a free kick because you managed to stay on your feet, even if the foul clearly impeded your ability to control the ball. Go down and get the free-kick and you're guaranteed to retain possession.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Gerrard dives to "win" England a penalty in the last minute of the World Cup semi-final against Argentia, then picks himself up and scores from the spot.

Outrageous cheat who should be strung up; or national hero?[/quote]

Outrageous cheat for my money.

[quote][cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]No one moans about Owens dive for the pen against the Argies in 2002.[/quote]

Yes, but that WAS against Argentina.

There is also a BIG difference between being clipped by a player and "accentuating" your fall and throwing yourself down when there has been NO contact.

Owen drew Ayala (?) into a challenge in 2002 and then "went down" which is a grey area, going down when nobody touches you is out of order.

BTW, I watched most of Garry Nelson's performances for CAFC and I am amazed that BW is labelling him a diver! Still, we all see these things differently.
  • Options
    I don't think Nelson could ever be described as a diver, he did fall over a lot though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Nelson was a diver he could not have been a very good one! I don't remember him winning us many penalties!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]One thing that goes on to encourage this though is the seeming refusal of referees to give a freekick unless the player actually hits the deck - there was a classic example on Saturday, Sam was being niggled away at for a good 20 seconds and tried to stay on his feet, but was going nowhere because the defender was all over him. Eventually Sam started to lose control of the ball and went down in a slight theatrical manner and lo-and-behold we immediately get the free kick. In other words there's no incentive to gamble on getting to the ball by staying on your feet, because if you do and you don't manage to get the ball you won't get a free kick because you managed to stay on your feet, even if the foul clearly impeded your ability to control the ball. Go down and get the free-kick and you're guaranteed to retain possession.

Exiled - you have perfectly described what I call the 'foul/dive'. The player is being fouled, but the only way to get the free kick is to go down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Gerrard dives to "win" England a penalty in the last minute of the World Cup semi-final against Argentia, then picks himself up and scores from the spot.

not an issue as he'd miss the resulting penalty!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]What about Hermans dive on Saturday?
    He admitted it was never a penalty, but that he anticipated a touch and therefore 'lost his footing'.
    basically Herman did the right thing he admitted he anticipated the tackle BUT lost his footing on his run and that it was NOT a penalty he did plan on going down had his feet been clipped (which would have been a foul)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Although the Lampard example was an absolute joke, again it was the ref's fault for giving a penalty instead of a free kick. It was so obvious that it was outside the box.

That's right, blame the ref, rather than the players... Maybe when they start taking responsibility for their own actions they'll stop cheating.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]What about Hermans dive on Saturday?
    basically Herman did the right thing he admitted he anticipated the tackle BUT lost his footing on his run and that it was NOT a penalty he did plan on going down had his feet been clipped (which would have been a foul)

Again, a situation that would be avoided if falling over wasn't a prerequisite of being awarded a free-kick/penalty.
  • Options
    I dont even think Thierry is one of the worst i would say Drogba (spelt wrong i know) would take the crown for king diver. However yea there all as bad as eachother really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Although the Lampard example was an absolute joke, again it was the ref's fault for giving a penalty instead of a free kick. It was so obvious that it was outside the box.

That's right, blame the ref, rather than the players... Maybe when they start taking responsibility for their own actions they'll stop cheating.

What does "taking responsibility for their own actions" even mean?

They won't stop trying to cheat even if retrospective punishment is dished out - players will still dive to win penalties as any suspension is worth suffering in order to turn a draw/loss into a win/draw for your team.