Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question Regarding John Hewie and Steve Brown

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
I was reading the club handbook and noticed that John Hewie had the symbols d m f and g next to his name, indicating that he played in all positions. By contrast Steve Brown only had d. I remember him as being more versatile than that, certainly playing in goal if not other positions as well. Can anyone explain the difference in these entries. Does it mean that Hewie was actually trained to play all these positions but Brown just filled in when needed or is there some other reason?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Mmm good question, Brownie certainly played in more positions than d.

Henry has most of the handbooks ... perhaps he can clarify from earlier editions?
  • Options
    Killer & Gritt also played between the sticks, perhaps Hewie started the game in goal?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Killer & Gritt also played between the sticks, perhaps Hewie started the game in goal?

That might be it, guess I'll have to check Home & Away for that.
    From the handbook: Hales f Gritt m d f (he always was good at diy).
  • Options
    John Hewie actually started in goal in, I think, four matches. As I recall, Willie Duff was injured and Hewie did so well that he retained the position. I saw at least two of the games, but can't recall the year without looking it up.
  • Options
    Agree with Solar that Hewie did start in goal on a couple of occasions
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cheers all. Yep it's all there in Home & Away. Hewie appears first on the team sheet four times in April 1962:
    Charlton 3 - Plymouth 1
    Brighton 2 - Charlton 2
    Huddersfield 0 - Charlton 2
    Bristol Rovers 2 - Charlton 2

Two victories and two draws - not bad. Presumably JH is the only player to have started for the club in the four main positions (unless of course you know different).

As Solar said it looks as though Willie Duff was injured, but didn't we have a reserve keeper then? Can't imagine that ever happening these days.
  • Options
    Yes the distinction is that John Hewie STARTED the match in goal whereas Steve Brown won't let you down filled in during a match.

The reason Hewie started was that the late Frank Reed, the reserve, was also injured and there were no emergency loans back then. The Colts (youth) keeper was presumably not as good as Hewie.
  • Options
    I was there when Hewie played in goal; does anyone remember the Standard and Evening News souvenir editions sold at football grounds with all the pictures....have the ones with Hewie in goal. By the way I believe that officially Hewie was never picked as a no.11 (left wing). Peter Firmani was another one who did it but as far as I know never actually got a full game.
  • Options
    According to his testimonial programme Hewie played (started) in 9 of the 11 positions. Outside right and outside left being the two he did'nt.
  • Options
    Steve Brown used to play centre-mid for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Yes the distinction is that John Hewie STARTED the match in goal whereas Steve Brown won't let you down filled in during a match.
    The reason Hewie started was that the late Frank Reed, the reserve, was also injured and there were no emergency loans back then. The Colts (youth) keeper was presumably not as good as Hewie.[/quote]

There were no loans, but nor were there transfer windows in those days, and - Charlton were short of money so the option was to try Hewie in goal before thinking about buying another 'keeper. I don't recall hearing much/anything about a youth team in those days either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]According to his testimonial programme Hewie played (started) in 9 of the 11 positions. Outside right and outside left being the two he did'nt.

Are you sure, Len? I thought it was ten. I thought he had appeared at outisde right. Maybe, that was a friendly though.
  • Options
    Brownie's first game for us was in midfield when he came on a a sub.