Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beckham Academy closes.

David Beckham Academy set to shut
By Simon Hayes on November 27, 2009 11:05 AM |

Beckham has a five-year lease on the state-of-the-art football coaching facility, which is owned by AEG Europe, and will not renew it when it expires next year.

The England midfielder, based for most of the year in the United States, wants to concentrate on expanding his coaching schemes across the world instead, using the Brand Beckham he has built up over his career.

The Greenwich Academy boasts two full-sized pitches with third generation artificial grass and has been hugely popular with schoolchildren, as well as many Wharfers who have played tournaments there.

The closure will mean staff having to be redeployed across the AEG group and The Wharf understands consultations are due to start with them.

AEG, who also own and operate the neighbouring O2, issued a statement confirming talks are underway to close the Academy.

It said: "At the end of the year the David Beckham Academy is likely to close.

"With the lease set to expire during 2010, the Academy is moving beyond one site to a coaching model that can reach more children in communities across the UK and internationally.

"David Beckham and senior coaching staff are currently developing these ambitious programmes and further exciting news on that front will follow in the forthcoming months.

"The DBA has been hugely successful with over 80,000 children benefiting from the country's best coaching and the world class facilities provided at the academy, many of those places given at no cost to the child or school.

"The aim now is to broaden its outreach giving an opportunity for considerably more children to experience the Academy across the country and around the world."

The venue will be used as a training facility during the 2012 Olympics, something that was always planned, but another use will need to be found for it until then.

Comments

• Options
    Nice bit of land to build a sport staduim
  • Options
    Talking to yourself Henry? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Talking to yourself Henry? ;-)

I find I get a better argument than with most on here. Not you of course SM ; - )

PC was playing up.
  • Options
    Is tjhat a "Would YA....??

Yes, Yes, YES!!!
  • Options
    What Beckham Oggy ???
  • Options
    i think its "i wish my missus ate food once in a blue moon and not just bog roll and vinegar"
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]What Beckham Oggy ???

To tell you the truth Ricky, I could probably give dear old Becks a miss.

But the poor fella can't take his eyes off her neat little arse.
  • Options
    Well I wouldn't climb over her to get to him!
  • Options
    i wonder what that person behind becks is doing?...certainly not watching the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nor is Becks !!!
  • Options
    I tee them up for ya Oggy....
    :-)
  • Options
    Rip of prices for their courses imho.

Saw him interviewed prior to the MLS Cup last week and his lisp seems to be taking on Life of Brian proportions.....he should do a double act with Jamie Oliver.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I tee them up for ya Oggy....
    :-)

You mean I've got to do sloppy seconds, VG....? No fanx, then!

o)
  • Options
    Who's that Acworth in the baseball cap sitting next to Beckham?

He's got the best view in the house - and he hasn't even noticed her....!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]i wonder what that person behind becks is doing?...certainly not watching the game.

That's Whoopie.