Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My first bike

edited November 2009 in Not Sports Related
just wondering if anyone on here rides a motorcycle and if they have any pointers as I m looking into buying a Street Bob 2010 in MarchstreetBob.jpg

Comments

• prepare yourself for some 'agricultural' motorcycling, numb wrists after 50 km's (I am in Swizerland after all...), numb nuts after 20 but what the hell, you're on a Harley so IT DOESN'T MATTER. Happy biking buddy-
  • ta mate... currently living 30k's outside of geneva in Nyon so thinking a Harley is the way to go. Not a fan of speed bikes.
  • Well mate, I ride a 1978 750 (U.S) Bonnie I've had from new and which has been a love/hate relationship for at least 20 of those 31 years, though I'd never part with her (like being married!), and also a 1995 Trident 900 which I treated myself to following early retirement, but which scares me witless and which I'll be flogging soon. I don't know a lot about Harleys other than that fellow members of the Triumph Owners Club are not keen on them. Like everything it's a matter of is it right for you and is it going to do the job you want it to do, in terms of comfort and reliability. Spares availability and servicing costs should be considered as well as warranty cover (and extended cover). I believe HDs do lots of extras which can up the cost considerably. The trouble is sometimes you see a 'bike you fall in love with immediately and you just gotta have it regardless of rational thought, so take your time and have a good look round at what's available (the new Triumphs are nice though).
  • edited November 2009
    My first bike was a Raleigh Boxer ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Well mate, I ride a 1978 750 (U.S) Bonnie I've had from new and which has been a love/hate relationship for at least 20 of those 31 years, though I'd never part with her (like being married!), and also a 1995 Trident 900 which I treated myself to following early retirement, but which scares me witless and which I'll be flogging soon. I don't know a lot about Harleys other than that fellow members of the Triumph Owners Club are not keen on them. Like everything it's a matter of is it right for you and is it going to do the job you want it to do, in terms of comfort and reliability. Spares availability and servicing costs should be considered as well as warranty cover (and extended cover). I believe HDs do lots of extras which can up the cost considerably. The trouble is sometimes you see a 'bike you fall in love with immediately and you just gotta have it regardless of rational thought, so take your time and have a good look round at what's available (the new Triumphs are nice though).
    Thanks alot mate, will do. I have wanted a harley for as long as I remember, same as my late father and its another reason I m looking to get one. I was told by several people that they are good bike but indeed quite costly... especially insurance wise. I have the luck to be living in switzerland, great roads accross the country, mountains and also the sea 130 to 2 hours away. Another reason I m looking into a Harley besides style and noise is because I want something I would use to chill and not race.
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]My first bike was a Raleigh Boxer ;o)[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_582826][ul][div]boxer_1_lg.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]
    mine was... stolen ;)
  • ah, we are fortunate enough to have some of the finest mountain passes known to man. I'm in Ticino by the way.
  • and I have to confess that my 2 wheels are now a Scarabeo GT 500 - I don't care, I go in comfort
  • Hopefully your dealer will have a demo bike you can have for a day or two so you can get the feel of things but you're right about the noise: I should think that on a trip earplugs are essential! Good luck and let us know how you get on, there's now't like a good bike and a good highway to ride it on. (not like Surrey. pothole capital of southern England!).
  • Sponsored links:

• I want a bike! :( I passed my test but then spent more on a car than I should have. No money left! I'm gonna save up for a Triumph Bonneville I think?
  • my first bike was called jane, nice girl--- well all the guys said so.
  • [cite]Posted By: WasCharleyOne[/cite]ah, we are fortunate enough to have some of the finest mountain passes known to man. I'm in Ticino by the way.
    Nice one... to get proper moutains I need to go to past Montreux .. down to Valais. Interlaken area is a good place too.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Hopefully your dealer will have a demo bike you can have for a day or two so you can get the feel of things but you're right about the noise: I should think that on a trip earplugs are essential! Good luck and let us know how you get on, there's now't like a good bike and a good highway to ride it on. (not like Surrey. pothole capital of southern England!).
    he he will do. Demo sounds like a good Idea will check it out.
  • edited November 2009
    You want one of these!
    http://www.usa.siemens.com/smartchopper/
    http://www.usa.siemens.com/smartchopper/

Sorry...but thats the address!
  • Vespa LX50. Great around town although I fancy a 125 next spring.
  • I can currently be seen hacking around town on a Yamaha 125 which is my 1st ever (motor)bike. Tops for commuting, but i'm also learning the knowledge.
  • edited November 2009
    Triumph Rodeo bike when I was 11.
    Vespa 160GS when I was 16.
    We are the Mods....... we are the Mods!!
  • Honda 900 Hornet is my current bike. I commute into the West End of London every day and it is perfect for that.

This seems to have whispered itself to Soundas. Bloody pixies.
  • Saw a young bloke knocked off his Vespa by a car emerging from a side road last week. Went all against my old Rocker instincts but I stopped and helped him up and helped sort things out. Now got three statement forms to fill out: one from Surrey Police (although they took one at the scene) and two from the insurance companies! Was the classic bike (loosely speaking) / car accident. Think Bike!
  • Sponsored links:

• I am getting a bike for Christmas, woo

A Carrera pedal bike that is though
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]My first bike was a Raleigh Boxer ;o)[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_582826 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]boxer_1_lg.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

So was mine. I had a red one. (Charlton red) If you tucked the mud flaps under you could make it sound like a motor bike.
  • I had one of these!