Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

France v Ireland aftermath

Just heard on the news (in France) that the French players have received a bonus of 400,000 euros each for their World Cup qualification.

Generally however, the French have been quite downbeat about their qualification, ashamed even. There were quite a few debates about it on TV and I vaguely heard on the radio about some government minister(s) wanting to ask FIFA to replay the match.

Comments

• Options
    If they have any integrity at all a big lump of that bonus money should go to the victims of the potato famine.
  • Options
    Wow - that's a good one. Funny - and topical too.
  • Options
    i don't get it
  • Options
    Irish potato famine 1849 or something .........
  • Options
    I don't think it really matters how much money the French players are getting for qualification, even if E400k seems like a massive amount for a country that would expect to qualify. It's the greatest competition in the world. Even if they were getting nowt for it they probably wouldn't go to a replay.

The French public reaction has been surprising. I always liked the French people (well, the ones in the south of the country), but this has been impressive. They might be right or wrong, but they've got honour. Henry, on the other hand, has been very strange. Several interviews in which he said different and counterfactual things and then he waited until after FIFA had made their decision before he announced that the match should go to a replay. It's all very strange - almost makes you wish he was one of those players who denied it to the end.

I don't understand the Famine joke/comment. Is it supposed to be funny?

In a week's time it'll all be forgotten about, I guess.
  • Options
    Tongue in cheek. I thought I'd say it before someone came on going on about them donating it to charity.
  • Options
    They shouldn't just stop there, there was a handball at the Spurs V Wigan game...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Tongue in cheek. I thought I'd say it before someone came on going on about them donating it to charity.

good one, perhaps add something about them both not supporting Rangers while you're at it.
  • Options
    Sepp Blatter announced that Ireland have asked for an extra World Cup place !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Sepp Blatter announced that Ireland have asked for an extra World Cup place !

Having a laugh surely
  • Sponsored links: