Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone ever owned a MESH computer?

My Packard bell IMedia is 5 years old now starting to to feel a bit slow compared to what's available these days. I was having a look around online at base units only and came across these lot..
MESH COMPUTERS

Their basic model looks pretty good and if I spend about £300 I get pretty decent spec.

Has anyone ever bought/used MESH computers? What are they like?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I bought one years ago when they sponsored us. I wasn't very impressed either with the PC itself or with their after sales service. I had a lot of problems that should have been sorted but they were very poor with the help. I didn't keep it long and soon replaced it with a Packard Bell that was even worse but they did replace it with an up-graded model that lasted until last year. I now have a Sony and it is absolutely superb!
  • I had a Sony Vaio while I was working in Japan and I was very impressed. I'm looking for a desktop though.
  • As others I have a Sony - superb desktop.
  • Dell always for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Dell always for me.

Always had Dell for desktop and Sony Vaio for laptop. Decided to make a change this year and got Sony for desktop ... I was pleased with Dell, even more so with Sony,
  • i got a mesh, love the thing. Had it 18 months now, no problems at all so far. I did buy top spec tho, got it on offer so got a cracking deal on it. Dunno what their customer service is like, never had to use it!
  • edited November 2009
    Ive got a Mesh mate, they were recommended by someone whos opinion I respect and I havent been dissapointed and as an added bonus they are better value than Dell.
  • [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I bought one years ago when they sponsored us. I wasn't very impressed either with the PC itself or with their after sales service. I had a lot of problems that should have been sorted but they were very poor with the help
    I had a near identical experience.
  • I think they all a bit of a muchnees.
    I've got a refurbed Compaq desktop, cheap as chips and never had a problem. My son has a gaming spec pc that I cobled together, had some glitches but generally behaves itself. He also has a HP note book that aint that reliable. I also have a Sony Vaio laptop that is made from 3 Sonys Viaos due to my original really exspensive Vaio's motherboard failling.
    Pot luck I think, although I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong.
  • I'm on my second one. Big mistake getting another one as not only did I have persistent problems from day one but it soon became very obvious that the level of after-sale support had degenerated big time. When I finally did get through on the phone, it was only ever to an Asian call centre. The standard remedy for any of the software issues was being told that the solution would be emailed to me (wonder how that would be any good if the PC wasn't working at all). Each time the "solution" would be to reformat the hard drive. They simply couldn't be arsed to spend time on me once they'd got my money. Would never use them again!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I bought one years ago when they sponsored us. I wasn't very impressed either with the PC itself or with their after sales service. I had a lot of problems that should have been sorted but they were very poor with the help. I didn't keep it long and soon replaced it with a Packard Bell that was even worse but they did replace it with an up-graded model that lasted until last year. I now have a Sony and it is absolutely superb!
    Also had one after they sponsored us. Was ok but at the time expensive (was 10 1/2 years ago though, much cheaper now). Lasted a while but had problems, we had someone put in a new hard drive and fix it a few times.

No idea how reliable they are now though, like I said PCs are much cheaper now, they're probably decent PCs.

Have a Dell PC and laptop now and they've been good, rarely any problems and good value for money.
  • I had one a while back. It was fine. Still got it although I have replaced almost everything on it.

I think they're all much of a muchness. My sister has had two and seems happy with then.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with Dell .

Check big pockets (sorry no link) they have some cracking deals
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I had one a while back. It was fine. Still got it although I have replaced almost everything on it.

Like Triggers broom, 5 heads and 3 handles
  • Thanks for the comments guys. It seems that opinion is divided on the quality of the MESH product although it does seem that if you bought one 10 years ago it came with a lot of hassle. To be fair though, If memory serves, most home desktops were dreadful 10 years ago. I remember switching on my HP and being able to make a cup of tea while it booted up.

I have to say I've never really had a problem with my current Packard Bell I media, it's served me well it's just that I can't upgrade the RAM beyond it's current 2 GB. I'll have a look around and see what I can get for about £300 which kind of puts the Sony out of the bracket. I'm planning on buying a macbook next year so I only need a PC for basic home computing and some light online gaming.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I bought one years ago when they sponsored us. I wasn't very impressed either with the PC itself or with their after sales service. I had a lot of problems that should have been sorted but they were very poor with the help
    I had a near identical experience.

At the time they sponsored us they were amongst the best of a whole bunch of new start up computer companies. I believe that they tried to grow too big too soon and couldn't cope with the level of demand they'd created; hence lots of complaints about poor customer service from around that time; indeed at one point I think it was close to dragging them under (another case of The Curse of Charlton Sponsorship). I think that they've got through that tough period and are better as a company now. I can't vouch for their machines though as I've never had one.
  • Also bought one when they sponsored us (with 6mb ram and a 100mb hard disk if I recall, running windows 95 ;0) ) Never had a problem with it. Replaced it 4-5 years ago with another mesh. psu blew on that after about 3 years. Other than that never had a problem with either of them. Replaced the psu with a 2nd hand one off ebay and its still running, though creaking a bit now, OK for the kids homework though! We've a HP desktp as well, for about 18 months, also very reliable.

The IT manager where I work swears by Dell, we've been running thier desktops and and laptops for about 5 years with few problems and good support (business though, not sure about home users) I've heard Sony are good too (though a bit pricey)
  • No, had a Viglen one though a long time ago now. Used to be able to play minesweeper and Sim Ants! Also had one of the first laptops around. Still works (although has to be attached to the mains). Cost £1000 at the time.