Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should last nights game be played again?

liam Brady and ROI FA are asking for it to be played again. So far Plattini and FIFA are stillpissing it up with the French President so no change there.

Should it be replayed ? IMO i cant see how you can, but it would send a huge message out there to the cheating bastards of the World.

Ok us English reemeber The Hand of God , but what about Beckham geting sent off against the scum bag Agries when he atcually never touched him ? or Gaza geting booked when he again never touched him ? and for the the Anti English Guardianistas on here Geoff Hursts goal in 1966 it didnt cross the line -- did it ?

do all the above get played again ? where would you draw a line ?

Comments

• Options
    No. Thats tough but a reply is seriously not warrented.
  • Options
    Let's replay the Fulham game when the linesman stuffed it up ... that woud put us back in the premiership ;-)
  • Options
    No way should it be played again. Not condoning what Henry did, but the referee and linesmen should've seen it.
  • Options
    No, can't replay it, but Henry should be banned for the first three matches in SA for ungentlemanly conduct.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No way. If you replay every game where the referee makes a wrong decision that affects the outcome of the game, nearly every game would need to be replayed. I know the situation makes it worse, a place at the world cup at stake, but we didn't get a replay when maradonna clearly punched the ball in did we...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]No, can't replay it, but Henry should be banned for the first three matches in SA for ungentlemanly conduct.

6 game competitive ban for Henry,

he misses the Group Stage and then France's first three qualifiers for Euro 2012

;-)
  • Options
    No. I don't think Henry should be banned either. The first handball was intinctive and the second handball was deliberate but was no worse than Keane's. The only difference was that it resulted in a goal.

The only good that will come out of all this is that we are a step closer to FIFA allowing referees to use video technology during matches.
  • Options
    I'd like a replay but think Henry will just get a few games ban as Algarve says but even then i'm sure the ban will be finished by the time he reaches SA. It's the reaction in France to the game that i find most interesting and fair play to them for at least showing a bit of shame at the situation.
  • Options
    No it shouldn't be replayed.

Henry could have made himself an absolute legend last night if he had admitted, at the time, to the referee. That would have been a move full of integrity and honesty and he'd have got nothing but praise for it. But, alas, he acted like most of us would (be honest), which is a shame and brings the whole game into disrepute.

I have a real soft spot for ireland and cannot imagine how gutted they must feel today, although it shouldn't and won't get replayed.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: olster[/cite]No it shouldn't be replayed.

Henry could have made himself an absolute legend last night if he had admitted, at the time, to the referee. That would have been a move full of integrity and honesty and he'd have got nothing but praise for it. But, alas, he acted like most of us would (be honest), which is a shame and brings the whole game into disrepute.

I have a real soft spot for ireland and cannot imagine how gutted they must feel today, although it shouldn't and won't get replayed.

Did the referee ask Henry at the time whether he'd handballed it? (Genuinely don't know the answer to that.)

Why does Henry deserve a ban for deliberate handball? It wasn't even a red card.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No way, the Republic Of Ireland might win...bollox to that!
  • Options
    no replay. shit happens.
  • Options

If you start this interview at about 1 minute 14 seconds Poll says that some people are saying that Henry actually informed the ref that it was handball but the rules don't allow the ref to change his mind! I wonder if that is true?

Otherwise the whole interview is the most balanced overview of the whole episode that I have read or heard today.

Graham Poll Interview
  • Options
    It should be replayed...but it wont be.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    no replay because then we'd have to read more crap on here arguing about who is allowed to support who and when and why and more other political bollox

Sadly it'll just have to be one of those things.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]no replay because then we'd have to read more crap on here arguing about who is allowed to support who and when and why and more other political bollox

Sadly it'll just have to be one of those things.

agree

On the general point. no. The ref and any mistakes he makes are part of the game.

Other than outside intervention results should stand.
  • Options
    it can't be replayed or you'd have to replay nearly every game.
    There is "cheating" in every game including fouls, shirt tugging etc.

Henry is no villain really, hardly any player (or one of us) would do a Paulo di Canio in similar circumstances - and I doubt di Canio would've done it in such a singly important game.
  • Options
    Sad and wrong, but can't replay it as would set a precedent and FIFA and ÜEFA are full of cheats so it would require a hell of a clean up. Maybe a commission on dishonesty is required, perhaps jack Warner could lead it? He has some experience in the area. I genuinely feel sorry for the spud bashers but also remember how sorry they were when we were cheated by dago(sic) so karma is happening, otherwise our game against the belgrano survivors should be replayed as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Sad and wrong, but can't replay it as would set a precedent and FIFA and ÜEFA are full of cheats so it would require a hell of a clean up. Maybe a commission on dishonesty is required, perhaps jack Warner could lead it? He has some experience in the area. I genuinely feel sorry for the spud bashers but also remember how sorry they were when we were cheated by dago(sic) so karma is happening, otherwise our game against the belgrano survivors should be replayed as well.

Setting a precedent would be the biggest danger. Why can't everyone then demand a game be replayed following a poor decision?

Henry won't be sleeping well hopefully.
  • Options
    No replay, but as stated above how much longer before technology is used in matches, not necessarily in all games, but certainly ones as important as this. What are they (FIFA) scared of?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with two posts on this thread in particular. This one, which demonstrates how it might have been, if Henry had been more honest:

And this one, which is basically, just fundamentally right and perfectly sums up the situation, as far as I can see:
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]no replay. shit happens.
  • Options
    SiSi
    edited November 2009
    Since when have matches where refs have missed an offence been replayed, or even called to be replayed? It happens every game.

And since when has deliberate handball - even when it IS spotted - carried a 3 or 6 match ban for ungentlemanly conduct? It's only a yellow card when the ref does see it.

And, most importantly, since when have "Guardianistas" been anti-English?..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]It's only a yellow card when the ref does see it.
    Unless it's a red.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    Unless it's a red.

Well no, deliberate hand ball per se is just a yellow. Only if it's a deliberate hand ball that denies a goalscoring opportunity - as with any offense that does so - is it a red.
  • Options
    Can't really replay it but Henry should get a 5 match ban for his conduct, won't happen though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Can't really replay it but Henry should get a 5 match ban for his conduct, won't happen though.

But why should he? That's not the rules!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm sure the ROI F A know that they have no chance whatsoever of a replay. I suspect that it's as much about political points scoring as anything else.

Eduardo got banned for cheating but when Arsenal appealed and brought an element of doubt into the equation FIFA decided to back down. It was stupid to bring the charge in the first place but, having done so, they have set a precedent. By virtue of the fact that Henry handled the ball not once but twice there can be no doubt of his guilt.

Given the above, I suspect that, if only to save face, Messrs Blatter and Plattini will charge Henry and hand him the same ban as Eduardo was given i.e. two matches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    Unless it's a red.

Well no, deliberate hand ball per se is just a yellow. Only if it's a deliberate hand ball that denies a goalscoring opportunity - as with any offense that does so - is it a red.
    So, it's a yellow. Unless it's a red.

;o)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Si[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Can't really replay it but Henry should get a 5 match ban for his conduct, won't happen though.[/quote]

But why should he? That's not the rules![/quote]

Neither is dragging the ball back into play with your hand.
  • Options
    From the Thierry Henry Wikipedia page:
    This page is currently protected from editing due to vandalism.
    This protection is not an endorsement of the current version. See the protection policy and protection log for more details. Please discuss any changes on the talk page; you may use the editprotected template to ask an administrator to make the edit if it is supported by consensus. You may also request that this page be unprotected.