Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ramsgate

DA9DA9
edited November 2009 in Not Sports Related
Any good for a weekend away?

Comments

• Go Bournemouth if your going to the coast mate, Ramsgate is not nice just ask Pork Pie on here!
  • Broadstairs has more choice of decent restaurants/pubs.
  • I agree that Broadstairs is prob the best place in that area. There really isn't a lot in Ramsgate and Margate is a dump! Broadstairs has some decent pubs and restaurants and is better than the other 2. There is a toby carvery near the retail park but i would suggest to go there on sat because on sundays it gets rammed in there!
  • If you want to have a weekend away in Kent then Whitstable, Rye or Dymchurch if you want something smaller are your wiser choices.
  • Already booked into the Kent International, £55 for a double room, with breakfast, not bad value for a Saturday night, and judging by google maps it overlooks the harbour.

Anyone knwo the pubs in Ramsgate, heard the Queens Head or Churchills are the places to be?
  • Ramsgate is not the greatest of places.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Already booked into the Kent International, £55 for a double room, with breakfast, not bad value for a Saturday night, and judging by google maps it overlooks the harbour.

Anyone knwo the pubs in Ramsgate, heard the Queens Head or Churchills are the places to be?

Recommend Churchill's or the Foy Boat nearby - I'd avoid all the pubs in the harbour in the evening. The cafes there are fine during the day, good to sit outside in the summer but possibly not in November. Spitfire museum at Manston is possibly worth a visit. All sorts of chain stores and restaurants, plus a big cinema, at Westwood Cross.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Already booked into the Kent International, £55 for a double room, with breakfast, not bad value for a Saturday night, and judging by google maps it overlooks the harbour.

Recommend Churchill's or the Foy Boat nearby - I'd avoid all the pubs in the harbour in the evening. The cafes there are fine during the day, good to sit outside in the summer but possibly not in November. Spitfire museum at Manston is possibly worth a visit. All sorts of chain stores and restaurants, plus a big cinema, at Westwood Cross.

Thanks Rick
  • broadstairs better for food and pubs mate,ramsgate got the harbour a few bars ,but a bit chavy,different class in broadstairs gives us a shout ,know a lovely resturant
  • Ketters is right

Ramsgate and other parts of planet Thanet are dumps. Horrible places. Left my job cos of the place.

Agree with the others, Broadstairs, Whitstable are the best alternatives near that god forsaken region.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Any good for a weekend away?

No matey dont do it to yourself nothing to do or see a real down and outs town and just along from the dreaded Margate.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Already booked into the Kent International, £55 for a double room, with breakfast, not bad value for a Saturday night,

Lastminute are offering the same price at the Auramar here in Albufeira, clifftop location, sea view. Oh and that's for three nights not just one!

Bargains are out there ladies and gents...
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Already booked into the Kent International, £55 for a double room, with breakfast, not bad value for a Saturday night,

Lastminute are offering the same price at the Auramar here in Albufeira, clifftop location, sea view. Oh and that's for three nights not just one!

Bargains are out there ladies and gents...

... and there's this great bar that Algarveaddick knows ;-)
  • Pork Pie, I take it you've never been to Thamesmead?

Broadstairs is an ok place - not the worst place i've been to. If you want night clubs and strip bars like Blackpool then its not the place to go. Its more of a chilled out relaxing place to go. Not really a place for youngsters!
  • Dymchurch? Surely thats got to be a joke recommendation.
  • edited November 2009
    Davy

Yes I have been to Thamesmead. I was most overwhelmed - the sights of the Boiler House, the torched out cars and domestic appliances on the road. Add the prisons to the equation, I thought I was back in Manc.
  • Indeed. Thamesmead is London's equivelant to New York's Bronx! Its where they filmed a clokwork orange!
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Dymchurch? Surely thats got to be a joke recommendation.

"The world according to the best geographers is divided into Europe, Asia, Africa, America, and Romney Marsh".
  • Oi, stop having a pop at our marsh, we like it the way it is and can do without the likes of DA9 and other townies down here thank you.
  • Herne Bay is nice!!

Nice fish resturant on the front at the beggining of the pier!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Oi, stop having a pop at our marsh, we like it the way it is and can do without the likes of DA9 and other townies down here thank you.

Knew you'd pop up at the sight of Dymchurch! As you say....
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Oi, stop having a pop at our marsh, we like it the way it is and can do without the likes of DA9 and other townies down here thank you.

LOL.....

Was in Margate a couple of years back for a works beano, very grotty but we still had a good time, couple of live music pubs etc, Ramsgate looks to be slightly better judging by google maps and pub reviews (Queens Head & Churchills), still, too bloody late now, booked it, quick, cheap getaway close to home to de-stress before xmas.
  • hythe where dowman and JT is nice - it will certainly make you feel young!
  • Christ yeah...
  • [cite]Posted By: pork_pie[/cite]Ketters is right

Ramsgate and other parts of planet Thanet are dumps. Horrible places. Left my job cos of the place.

Agree with the others, Broadstairs, Whitstable are the best alternatives near that god forsaken region.

Bit harsh, I think. Due to its geographical position Thanet has the lowest average income of any district in Kent and that is bound to have an impact. It can also be a bit behind the times, but it has miles of specatcular coastline and more than its share of countryside.

People think of it as the three main towns, but away from them nearly all the Thanet villages have decent pubs with good food - which is a far cry from most pubs in Bexley, for a start. Westwood Cross is a better shopping centre than Bexleyheath.
  • I went to school in Ramsgate and lived in Broadstairs for most of my life. I agree with what others have said on here. Thanet is not really worth visiting if you are not from the area. Broadstairs has nice pubs, and restaurants, but in the summer you can't escape the chav element. I would have to say Whitstable is better as I live there. Plenty of nice pubs, restaurants, and open spaces if you like walking, cycling, that sort of thing.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Crazy[/cite]I went to school in Ramsgate and lived in Broadstairs for most of my life. I agree with what others have said on here. Thanet is not really worth visiting if you are not from the area. Broadstairs has nice pubs, and restaurants, but in the summer you can't escape the chav element. I would have to say Whitstable is better as I live there. Plenty of nice pubs, restaurants, and open spaces if you like walking, cycling, that sort of thing.

Whitstable's especially good if you like sitting in traffic, too!

Sandwich, though, is different class, as long as you don't actually want to do very much.

Rye, BFR, is in East Sussex. But I'm sure it's very nice anyway . . .
  • Yea all the places you mention are nice but as you rightly say not much to do in any of them unfortunatly Kents a bit slow but its nice.
  • Talking of Kent places that are a bit slow how about Higham? We went past there on the train to Gillingaham and it looks like there is nothing there at all. The station looks like its in the middle of a forest!