Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Elliott

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
was just watching GMTV and he was reviewing last night s football and previewing this weekends . When John Stapleton asked him where he would be this weekend he said "at Charlton , my first love , you always return to your first love"

Good man

Comments

• I know Paul as he uses us to print for his football academy a genuinely very nice man,who always has time for a chat.
  • When i go straight from work to midweek games often see him on the train. Never said owt cos dont want to bother him.
  • Used to work with his brother Jeff, always have a lot of time for them.
  • bumped into him at Chislehurst station a few years back, he was obviously in a hurry but stiil had time to sign an autograph and have a quick chat.

Weren't him and Paul Walsh sold to Luton at virtually the same time?
  • yes they were next and for next to nothing.

Elliot was voted best over seas player when he played in Italy. He was player of the year in Scotland when he played for Celtic and they love him at Chelsea.

IMO would have played a good few times for England had he not had such an awful injury.

I was at The Valley when he scored a 30 yarder against Reading.
  • I used to bump into Paul on Sundays when his son played SELKent league football. Always had time for a word or two, thoroughly nice bloke.
  • Both his children went to my sons' school. You could not wish to meet nicer kids.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I was at The Valley when he scored a 30 yarder against Reading.
    I was there too. Still one of the best long-distance goals I've seen. And the look of shock on his face was only matched several years later by Richard Rufus when he scored at Wembley.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Both his children went to my sons' school. You could not wish to meet nicer kids.
    Maybe apart from the time when his son's team had thrashed the team I managed and having shaken hands his son gave one of my players a sly dig in the back as he walked away!
  • Sponsored links:

• great news considering all his work he does for the game with the PFA, Grass Roots, 2018 wc and our trust, he always gets a caption about being ex celtic and chelsea. really grates me.
    people at my work were shocked recently when it was announced he was on the 2018 wc non exec board cos according to them "hasn't done anything for years" i put them right!!!
  • I think my dad went to school with him. I remember him telling me when i was younger.
  • He was at the Dartford Hilton the day after we beat Huddersfield, spoke to a lot of people, seemed like a really nice fella.
  • met him a few times and hes been a guest at bromley addicks. lovely guy.

Maybe will try to get him a bromley again next year.
  • Used to see him in the Ramblers Rest Chislehurst but never had the courage to speak to him.
  • [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]I think my dad went to school with him. I remember him telling me when i was younger.

C.Walsh'sLoveChild I went to school with him, he was two years above me, but don't worry I do not believe I am your dad...

Your dad probably knew him as Tete a nickname Paul used at school that was given to him by a grand parent who thought he had a rather large head.
  • [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]bumped into him at Chislehurst station a few years back, he was obviously in a hurry but stiil had time to sign an autograph and have a quick chat.

Weren't him and Paul Walsh sold to Luton at virtually the same time?

Pity that Walsh (another local lad) has never shown the slightest interest in us from the moment he set foot in Kenilworth Road.
    With all his TV punditry etc I've never heard him even acknowledge the fact that he had anything to do with us, let alone that he started his career at Charlton, which normaly means quite a bit to a player when he looks back on his career....I have no idea why?
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]was just watching GMTV and he was reviewing last night s football and previewing this weekends . When John Stapleton asked him where he would be this weekend he said "at Charlton , my first love , you always return to your first love"

Good man

He'll be there alone then as we're away on Sunday :-)

Seen him in Bromley a few times.
  • Ralph- my dad was in his year. My dads sister was in the year below. Dobson ring any bells?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]I used to bump into Paul on Sundays when his son played SELKent league football. Always had time for a word or two, thoroughly nice bloke.[/quote]

My son played in the same team as his boy for 4 years, got to the London cup two years in a row.

His sons a t Millwall now I believe (his second love ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2009
    Bloke's a legend. One of the best players I have ever seen in our colours. That Reading goal was a scorcher.
    Pity that Walsh (another local lad) has never shown the slightest interest in us from the moment he set foot in Kenilworth Road.
    With all his TV punditry etc I've never heard him even acknowledge the fact that he had anything to do with us, let alone that he started his career at Charlton, which normaly means quite a bit to a player when he looks back on his career....I have no idea why?

Very true SoundAs. Debuted at 16, born in Plumstead. Forgotten where he's come from.
  • Paul walshes brother is Millwall he used to gob off a bit and legend has it got planted on more than one occasion.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

Dead right SoundAs, i've always been disappointed by his lack of affection for the club that nurtured him from a schoolboy.
    He grew up in Abbey Wood and went to Abbey Wood Comp as I did.
    He was such a skillful and exciting player when he broke through into the first team; probably my favourite academy (or Colts as was) player I've seen in the 47 years I've been coming to the Valley.
    As you say, Pity.
  • Walsh played Gaelic football with KB - FACT. Got to say even when he played for us i never liked him. That mockney tone he uses on Sky grates so much am glad he never mentions us. We know where your from & he cant deny it.
  • imagine Elliott & Rufus playing together,what a pairing that would have been.
  • Too right, Steve and they were ours.

How about this for an ex academy/colts team: -

Tutt
    Bonds Elliott Rufus Kinsey
    Bailey Parker Bowyer Peacock
    Leaburn Walsh

Probably missed some gems...
    Oops, Len Glover, Peter Reeves!
    Any more?
  • Love Paul Elliott - a true Rolls Royce of a footballer, excellent ambassador for the game and should have played regularly for England. Suffered some injuries at crucial times in his career and that prick Saunders deserves stringing up for what he did to him.

Also know a couple of people who know him personally and you apparently couldn't meet a nicer bloke.
  • just been speaking eloquantly on SSN's about the failed England world cup bid (from a bar in blackheath not sure which one) and then he slipped in a quick line about how good Charltons community work in South Africa has been .... good man
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]just been speaking eloquantly on SSN's about the failed England world cup bid (from a bar in blackheath not sure which one) and then he slipped in a quick line about how good Charltons community work in South Africa has been .... good man

I just saw that too. He always comes across very well - and love the fact that he takes every opportunity to big up Charlton.

Not bad for a lad from Lewisham.