Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match thread moved to Members Only..........

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
...sorry to those reading, but we've got to try and see if it speeds things up.

If you are reading as a guest, register and it will be accepted straight away.

Apologies all for the disruption.

Comments

• Options
    good idea
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As a frequent updater when we play away (I peversely quite like doing that) it is frustrating if updates take several minutes to load, or if I get bumped off the site ('a fatal non-revoerable error'). Will members only match threads cure this...i'm not technically minded....or is there another solution to the problem?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]...
    If you are reading as a guest, register and it will be accepted straight away.

Doesn't that rather defeat the object
  • Options
    I'm not sure making single threads members will make a huge difference.

Making the entire forum members only would probably be more effective. If the guests want to read threads or join in, they'll have to sign up like the rest of us. There are quite a few forums that have a page appear asking you to sign up or piss off. You can't even read them without joining.

Keeping score updates from other games out of match threads might also help. Seeing the Millwall scores 10 times is a bit annoying, and it's a real bandwidth killer.

This are just my observations from other football forums I frequent. I'm no expert.
  • Options
    Isn't it better to make match threads "overseas only" (ie only available to people with non-UK IP addresses) apart from one or two official "updaters". Anyone in this country will either be at the game or listening via CAFC Player anyway.
  • Options
    Couldn't get on the site after half-time yesterday. "FATAL ERROR OCCURRED". I forgot the clocks had gone back last week and was expecting the game an hour earlier so just went to bed instead and got the bad news this morning.

Members only is a good idea. I don't know how many were on yesterday but I assume more bandwidth will cost more money and that isn't so good.
  • Options
    Not sure if it'll make any difference. I bet most of the guests are actually members who just can't be bothered to sign in. Myself being one of those! Forcing them to log in will mean even more traffic, and slow the site down more!