Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A2 closed both ways @

Comments

• Options
    It takes as long as it needs, as it should. If it were me or a loved one who decided to take such a drastic course of action to escape someone who was chasing then i would want the police to do whatever they needed to get to the truth. So some were inconvenienced, at least you could be. Far too many people just think of themselves these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]It takes as long as it needs, as it should. If it were me or a loved one who decided to take such a drastic course of action to escape someone who was chasing then i would want the police to do whatever they needed to get to the truth. So some were inconvenienced, at least you could be. Far too many people just think of themselves these days.

Skittles....the roads are being brought to a standstill as a result of.....'incidents'......we have to find a balance here...I'm not sure what it is....but it isn't so much the inconvenience but think of the massive effect on the economy.
    I have a nephew who's an ambulance driver in Lincoln....sometimes he can't get to other 'incidents' because the police/Highways Authority have closed off roads/areas and snarled up the traffic.
    He's put in written reports to this effect on several occassions in order to cover himself and his partner.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]The Old Kent Road was closed off for 'four days' a few months back (it caused mayhem) after a guy on a petrol forecourt was stabbed. Ironicly he was an illegal immigrant as was the guy who stabbed him.
    We never had this kind of thing happening with whole areas being shut down as a result of crimes....I know times have changed and that evidence gathering techniques are different but it seems the police just don't seem to care that much about the huge inconvenience they are causing nowadays.I remain unconvinced that there isn't some kind of agenda here....though I admit I don't know what it is...just a feeling.
    Was it really? Where's your evidence of that? I find that absolutely impossible to believe - since Tavistock Square was open to traffic two days after a suicide bomber blew himself and 12 other people to pieces. Your ridiculous and often offensive criticism of the police in closing roads off where people have had serious or fatal accidents is becoming almost as predictable as the twenty or so posts a week here going on about Rangers. If it wasn't bordering on (or even veering into) offensive, it would be luaghable.

Well well well, if it isn't our very own resident Mr Angry....you're one to talk....just what 'don't' you have a moan about?
    And as for a section of The Old Kent Road being closed off for four days, I'm sure there will be a poster or two on here who'll remember it.
    No need to apologise by the way.
  • Options
    The economy argument doesnt wash i'm afraid, some things are just more important. But you do make a valid point about other emergency services being affected. When incidents like this happen there should be a joined up approach with all parties talking (highways, fire & ambulance etc). It eleaviates the problems but isnt always going to keep everyone happy.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2009
    Shit happens.

I remember being interviewed at Stansted Airport a couple of year back by a radio reporter (Radio 1 I think) this was just after they had introduced extra security and no liquids on planes, the queues were horrendous, but as I told the interviewer, if it makes mine & my kids safety more guaranteed (no such thing I know) then I will gladly queue, but the attitude of a lot of people around me was disgusting, digging out the airport staff and generally moaning about anything that moved.

KBlittlesis - You didnt look too happy in the gloomy weather last night walking down near ASDA.......cheer up :-)
  • Options
    It comes down to how the Risk Assessment is done. Most times the RA looks at the worst case and plans back from there. I said above reason both directions of A2 were closed was the Air Ambalance. If the crime scene was across the central reservation then maybe that also explains some of the hassel.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]The Old Kent Road was closed off for 'four days' a few months back (it caused mayhem) after a guy on a petrol forecourt was stabbed. Ironicly he was an illegal immigrant as was the guy who stabbed him.
    We never had this kind of thing happening with whole areas being shut down as a result of crimes....I know times have changed and that evidence gathering techniques are different but it seems the police just don't seem to care that much about the huge inconvenience they are causing nowadays.I remain unconvinced that there isn't some kind of agenda here....though I admit I don't know what it is...just a feeling.
    Was it really? Where's your evidence of that? I find that absolutely impossible to believe - since Tavistock Square was open to traffic two days after a suicide bomber blew himself and 12 other people to pieces. Your ridiculous and often offensive criticism of the police in closing roads off where people have had serious or fatal accidents is becoming almost as predictable as the twenty or so posts a week here going on about Rangers. If it wasn't bordering on (or even veering into) offensive, it would be luaghable.[/quote

Decided to remove my original post as it bordered on unacceptable behaviour on here........just piss off will ya!
    You think you're the dogs bollox around here and that everyone else is a prick(as you so often like to point out)......you're a boring insufferable arsehole as far as I'm concerned, who thinks he has the answer to everything.
    Longing to say more but I won't take advantage of Dan's message board and put him in an awkward position.
    Epic, Epic fail. Thanks for taking the time out to whisper though.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wow a whispered insult -------------nice. Are you two related ? Hubbs and wife maybe ?? When my Mrs calls me a twat etc etc its in another language so i just pretend she is saying lovey dovey stuff--- might work for you guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Wow a whispered insult
    nice. Are you two related ? Hubbs and wife maybe ?? When my Mrs calls me a twat etc etc its in another language so i just pretend she is saying lovey dovey stuff--- might work for you guys.

I would but S does not speak Gaelic
  • Options
    I admit I was one of those people who moaned about people jumping under trains during the rush hour and joked about how inconsiderate they were doing it at peak times until one of those people turned out to be a friend and Charlton supporter. Many other lifers knew him and were at his funeral.

It's annoying when we are made late by roadworks/closures etc but we have mobile phones to ring ahead, people will understand and thankfully I'm just late not mourning someone's life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I admit I was one of those people who moaned about people jumping under trains during the rush hour and joked about how inconsiderate they were doing it at peak times until one of those people turned out to be a friend and Charlton supporter. Many other lifers knew him and were at his funeral.

It's annoying when we are made late by roadworks/closures etc but we have mobile phones to ring ahead, people will understand and thankfully I'm just late not mourning someone's life.

Was this not the guy who had the accident at Barnehurst rather than jumped?, apologies if I have it wrong, no offence intended.
  • Options
    Yes it was. Sorry if it read as if DD deliberately jumped as I didn't mean it to.

Was just making the point that someone up the line hearing that there had been a fatality might well assume that someone had jumped under the train deliberately.

The point is that these "incidents" involve real people with real families.
  • Options
    I think he tried to jump onto the joining carriage bit and fell under. he wanted to get his belongings off the train and i assume thought if he could hold on until the next stop he could retrieve the gifts he had bought. also, happy to be corrected as that may not be the full story. but I know he had flowers and a toy on the train that he brought home for his wife and child.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Wow a whispered insult
    nice. Are you two related ? Hubbs and wife maybe ?? When my Mrs calls me a twat etc etc its in another language so i just pretend she is saying lovey dovey stuff--- might work for you guys.
    Haha - post of the week!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I think he tried to jump onto the joining carriage bit and fell under. he wanted to get his belongings off the train and i assume thought if he could hold on until the next stop he could retrieve the gifts he had bought. also, happy to be corrected as that may not be the full story. but I know he had flowers and a toy on the train that he brought home for his wife and child.

Yes, that is the way I understood it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

The point is that these "incidents" involve real people with real families.

Agreed
  • Options
    When people jump in front of trains I feel sorry for the poor driver who probably has this image in his mind for the rest of his days.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]When people jump in front of trains I feel sorry for the poor driver who probably has this image in his mind for the rest of his days.

I saw a documentary on this many moons ago, one tube driver stated that as he drove into the station he could see an object in the middle of the track, slammed the brakes on and realised it was a person, this person then turned around and smiled at him as the train beared down on him. Still sends shivers down my spine now, and what a bloody awful thing to do to someone, can you imagine the effect that would have.
  • Options
    Did some work with the gangs who have to deal with the aftermath of the "one-unders" on the tube. Not nice.
  • Options
    The way that things turn out these days it will have been a mugger who just turned over an old lady being chased by two locals who then jumps off the bridge. The two locals will be banged up for GBH the mugger will sue the world and end up a celeb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you know what I find most interesting about this thread?
    Bev.
    She (or he, Page 3 photographer Beverly Goodway was a fella) joined Charlton Life to make one comment about the incident and has not been back since. Very odd.
  • Options
    that is not odd. a lot of people dont bother registering or logging on. they just browse.
  • Options
    But why join this site just to make a comment that has nothing to do with CAFC and then never even return to the site?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]But why join this site just to make a comment that has nothing to do with CAFC and then never even return to the site?

People do strange things. Another site I visit has a substantial number of people who go through all the rigmarole of registering yet never post.
  • Options
    but chirpy how do you know they havent returned 15 times since, if they havent logged on but just browsed it how would you know.
  • Options
    i make you right scully.
  • Options
    Ok maybe they have but I reckon most peoples PC's cookies thing would automatically sign them in.
    Forget that bit, why go through all the effort of joining just to add that comment. Odd. As odd as me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]But why join this site just to make a comment that has nothing to do with CAFC and then never even return to the site?

People do strange things. Another site I visit has a substantial number of people who go through all the rigmarole of registering yet never post.

xhamster.com does not count (not work safe for the curious amongst you)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

xhamster.com does not count (not work safe for the curious amongst you)

I've never been a West Ham fan!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Ok maybe they have but I reckon most peoples PC's cookies thing would automatically sign them in.
    Forget that bit, why go through all the effort of joining just to add that comment. Odd. As odd as me!

No one's as odd as you :-)