Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A2 closed both ways @

Comments

• Problem is Ken that the A2 is managed by the Highways Agency and not by the local councils.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Problem is Ken that the A2 is managed by the Highways Agency and not by the local councils.

The Highways Agency...now there's a subject to start me off!!!!
  • I also heard it was a bloke that jumped off a bridge.
  • Highways agency may well control it now Dave, but this was planned years ago, How any planner thought that this was fit for purpose amazes me!. London one way/Blackwall tunnel/ ports/Bluewater/ M25 the other, having a 2 lane road by the lights was an act of stupidity. The roads around the valley are controlled by the council and they do have the powers to administer these things better.

Seems to me not only a terrible stress and pollution contributor to have the roads clogged up, but the flow of the traffic through this region is very poor, probably amongst the worst in the South East.

A lack of vision and investment in transport infastructure has been one of the legacies of mismanagement by both local and central goverment post war, and a major contributor to the areas poor economic growth.

When I did my thesis on Greenwich architecture I researched there was to be a bridge at Woolwich, where the old ferry was!. I bet there were a few drivers and businesses that could have used that last week when the ferry had another week of 1 boat working.

I know it is easy in hindsight to be clever but some people were advocating this decades ago, the council thought all roads were the 'spawn of the devil'......

if they had built an expressway from Greenwich along the Woolwich/Plumstead way you would have an alternative to the chaos you currently have and a river crossing at Woolwich with the regeneration of Docklands and the Olympics as well!

Nothing that 100 billion would not put right now!.. job done
  • There's been lots of plans for transport improvements but cancelled. The latest being the Thames Gateway bridge that had gone through years of planning and then Boris got in and scrapped it.

That is in addition to the earlier 90s Thamesmead bridge scheme, the 70s Jubilee line that was supposed to go to Thamemead and not terminate at Charing Cross. The station on the newly extended section at N Greenwich has an extra station to accomaodate a potential extension to Thamesmead but the line is to busy to add another branch.

I wish the Thames Gateway bridge would go ahead and it include a line for the DLR on it coming from the Beckton line.
  • Agree Ken, we're the poor relation compared to East and North London for Roads.

It's madness that all the traffic from SE London has to funnel into two tubes that are stretched over capacity.

Boris has a lot to answer for in binning the Gateway Bridge.
  • The incident was treated as a crime scene due to a male being chased by two others through the park. He leapt over the bridge onto the A2 and suffered serious injuries. The park was also closed as part of the crime scene. Can't believe he survived
  • Where did you here he survived mate?
  • I heard he survived today through a neigbour. Find it hard to believe he didnt get done by the heavy traffic tbh.
  • Police knocked at my house today as I live nearby. Bloke aged 26 was chased by two other blokes. Not sure how but he fell 40ft onto A2. No cars hit him amazingly. He's alive but critical and will never fully recover. Making me feel sick. Awful!!
  • Sponsored links:

• I can now confirm he did not die, he was taken away by HEMS
  • Thanks for updates, my lad walks the dog at elt pk sth so really want to know as much of whats going on up there as poss. Geezer must have been desperate
  • The poor fella had to have 1 of his legs amputated and is still critical
  • Anyone know why he was running away? Would love to know why he was so desperate to get away. To be honest, said to the missus, could you imagine if it was one of the bstards that mugged our son that jumped the bridge to escape, would have laughed my bolx of at the time.
  • I Joined the A2 Friday night just after 6 at Dartford Heath heading towards Bean/Greenhithe, clear as a bell Coast bound but it was a horrific queue London bound right upto the M25.

Any updates on what/why/how this guy ended up on the A2 off a bridge?
  • Or why North Kent and much of the outer suburbs of South East London was brought to a standstill as a result of this...nasty and disturbing as it was....did we really have to close off the A2 for hours on end....and in both directions?
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Or why North Kent and much of the outer suburbs of South East London was brought to a standstill as a result of this...nasty and disturbing as it was....did we really have to close off the A2 for hours on end....and in both directions?

Seeing as the A2 had become part of a crime scene, I'd say it's reasonable to expect it to be closed for as long as it takes.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Or why North Kent and much of the outer suburbs of South East London was brought to a standstill as a result of this...nasty and disturbing as it was....did we really have to close off the A2 for hours on end....and in both directions?

Seeing as the A2 had become part of a crime scene, I'd say it's reasonable to expect it to be closed for as long as it takes.

Takes to what....suss that someone jumped off a bridge.....overkill which has become typical of the police and Highways Authority in recent years, close everything down and to hell with the consequences....and it's getting worse.
    I don't wish to appear ignorant....I realise that some police work was needed to be done as well as the medical assistance needed for the victim....but come on FFS....how many hours was it and was it really that critical!
  • I tend to agree with SoundAs at the OB over kill. We dont know though where the guy landed. If he landed to the centre of the A2 then i guess both directions would be closed. The air ambalance landing etc would have met shutting everything down.

A few OB up around the Sun in the Sands / Blackheath would have helped sort out some of the grid lock total mayhem that went on for hours.
  • I don't think it was closed just because of this lad jumping off a bridge, further down the A2 nearer Dartford i was told there was a crash and one car looked completely mangled
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Or why North Kent and much of the outer suburbs of South East London was brought to a standstill as a result of this...nasty and disturbing as it was....did we really have to close off the A2 for hours on end....and in both directions?

Takes to what....suss that someone jumped off a bridge.....overkill which has become typical of the police and Highways Authority in recent years, close everything down and to hell with the consequences....and it's getting worse.
    I don't wish to appear ignorant....I realise that some police work was needed to be done as well as the medical assistance needed for the victim....but come on FFS....how many hours was it and was it really that critical!

Only the old bill can answer you mate but I can't imagine they close the road for as long as possible just to pee people off!
  • This is ridiculous. The most important thing on a potential murder investigation is to retain the integrity of the crime scene. It ain't fooking CSI where David 'one line one conviction' Carruso looks at a Coke can and recognises the finger print as someone's he put away ten years ago "Bang to Rights"??????? Oh look someone's jumped off a bridge, let's not bother shutting down the crime scene and painstakingly look for forensic evidence that'd be crucial for a conviction.

If the case had turned into a murder investigation, and the individual was an innocent with no prior criminal record, and the crime later looked like a race hate crime what would happen then? Even as it isn't a murder but the guy's had serious life threatening injuries are they just to close down the investigation so some numpty can get home early? Great to see some people have empathy when it's not one of their own family members.

Sure I'd be bloody frustrated at the time, but afterwards I'd fully understand that the process the detectives go through has to be thorough and to their own satisfaction: without outside influence. If it suddenly became a murder and the investigation wasn't carried out properly the same idiots would be calling for the detectives jobs.
  • Quite right. I don't understand why people are still asking what happened when it's explained earlier in the thread. It wasn't just a case of someone jumping from the bridge. The crime scene was both sides of the A2 as well as Eltham Park South
  • The Old Kent Road was closed off for 'four days' a few months back (it caused mayhem) after a guy on a petrol forecourt was stabbed. Ironicly he was an illegal immigrant as was the guy who stabbed him.
    We never had this kind of thing happening with whole areas being shut down as a result of crimes....I know times have changed and that evidence gathering techniques are different but it seems the police just don't seem to care that much about the huge inconvenience they are causing nowadays.I remain unconvinced that there isn't some kind of agenda here....though I admit I don't know what it is...just a feeling.
  • if a crime scene isn't 'secured', imo, it seems far too easy for defence solicitors to make evidence inadmissable.
  • If this was a "crime scene" then surely it would have been the bridge and where he jumped or was pushed from not where he landed.
  • Paulbaconsarnie, ur spot on. The change in how crime scenes are managed is exactly that...defence barristers picking up on the possibility of contamination.

GH, the crime scene is the entire route used by suspects and victims hence the closure of the entire park and both sides of the A2. I'm not sure where HEMS would have landed but it may be that they landed on the other side of the A2 which could be a reason for the opposite side being closed (only me speculating on that bit though)
  • [cite]Posted By: alan dugdale[/cite]Paulbaconsarnie, ur spot on. The change in how crime scenes are managed is exactly that...defence barristers picking up on the possibility of contamination.

GH, the crime scene is the entire route used by suspects and victims hence the closure of the entire park and both sides of the A2. I'm not sure where HEMS would have landed but it may be that they landed on the other side of the A2 which could be a reason for the opposite side being closed (only me speculating on that bit though)

They landed it on the opposite (coastbound) carriageway. Decent effort.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]The Old Kent Road was closed off for 'four days' a few months back (it caused mayhem) after a guy on a petrol forecourt was stabbed. Ironicly he was an illegal immigrant as was the guy who stabbed him.
    We never had this kind of thing happening with whole areas being shut down as a result of crimes....I know times have changed and that evidence gathering techniques are different but it seems the police just don't seem to care that much about the huge inconvenience they are causing nowadays.I remain unconvinced that there isn't some kind of agenda here....though I admit I don't know what it is...just a feeling.
    Was it really? Where's your evidence of that? I find that absolutely impossible to believe - since Tavistock Square was open to traffic two days after a suicide bomber blew himself and 12 other people to pieces. Your ridiculous and often offensive criticism of the police in closing roads off where people have had serious or fatal accidents is becoming almost as predictable as the twenty or so posts a week here going on about Rangers. If it wasn't bordering on (or even veering into) offensive, it would be luaghable.