Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parky signs new contract

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
Parky signs new contract - on the OS.

Comments

• Oh dear
  • On this seasons performances surely deserved?

IMHO
  • Thats ok i have offically warmed to him now so i dont mind would luv to be Prem bound in the next few years but not going to happen so i am content with Parky.
  • Would have waited until May personally.
    Don't think there was much danger of some other side poaching him from us before then.
  • Though he was going to Reading? At least, that's what I read on Charlton Life ;o)

More compo now for us,if he does !!!
  • Good news and more stability for the Club.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Though he was going to Reading? At least, that's what I read on Charlton Life ;o)

More compo now for us,if he does !!!

I thought that too but we are a club on the turn around and the up Reading have had a bad start this year so you wouldnt bother would you
  • And if we can, gives players more confidence who may want to sign new contracts or join the club
  • Well we certainly wouldn't have predicted that 7-8 months ago!
  • edited October 2009
    Based on league position so far, and the unity of the dressing room, he deserves it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great stuff - certainly a signal of intent if the Reading situation ever did arise!

Good work Parky - 1 defeat in 14 thisseason and 1 in the last 8 last season........so 2 defeats in 22 league games! A bloody good achievement if you ask me
  • Kiss of death...
  • why ? If he suddenly starts performing badly then we are lumbered because we can't afford to pay up his contract. Should have waited till May and then seen whether he had done a good job or not. If he had then reward him with a new contract, if not then easy to get rid. Going to look a right set of plums if for example we don't even make the play-offs. Frankly, I find this amazing. Doing well at the moment but we are only around 15 games in and he has achieved nothing yet. Bizarre considering the same man handing him an extension now was going to sack him last May. Surreal.
  • gotta say I agree with Large on this one, seems a strange time to do this.
  • WSSWSS
    edited October 2009
    The flip side is that we are doing well in March/April and he still has not been offered a contract then someone comes in for him and he goes for some job security and leaves us in the crap.

Good decision for me and congratulations Parky - keep up the good work.
  • Strange timing, yes I guess I have to agree with that. But Derek Chappell did tell us he would be judged on results and this time it seems he really has been...
  • WSS - that's a chance I'd be willing to take. If we were in the Championship then there wouldn't be many bigger Clubs than us in there and no way would a PL Club come in for him so I think there is absolutely no danger of that happening imo.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Strange timing, yes I guess I have to agree with that. But Derek Chappell did tell us he would be judged on results and this time it seems he really has been...

ah but RM is now back in charge and he told us ......
  • Great news.

No point waiting until later in the season: who would talk to Charlton about signing if the manager was a a few weeks away from the end of his contract?

Hopefully this will give us a chance to see who is the better Championship manager: Parky with Pardew's team or Parky with Parky's team.
  • but how often has that glib phrase "poor man management" been used as a stick to beat Parky mainly when he makes a team selection someone disagrees with.

Yet we are quite happy to keep a performing member of staff on an ever reducing contract which could equally be described as "poor man management" by the board on the basis that no one else would want him.

Surely the point is that WE (ie CAFC PLC not everyone single fan) want him so we do something that is more likely to keep him, motivate him, retain much needed continuity and stability, perhaps encourage players (as WSS said) to stay or sign and maybe and just maybe scare off the headhunters from Reading or elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The flip side is that we are doing well in March/April and he still has not been offered a contract then someone comes in for him and he goes for some job security and leaves us in the crap.

Good decision for me and congratulations Parky - keep up the good work.
    Agreed
  • On the apparently strange timing - is it possible that, although there is not yet a vacancy at Reading, his contacts there may have sounded him out; PP then quietly let their interest be known to Richard Murray; and hence we arrive at today's announcement?

I'd be surprised if Reading wanted him , given his record at a higher level. But I guess we should have learned by now not to be surprised by anything in the irrational world of football. It's a theory, at least, which would explain what otherwise seems the rather arbitrary timing of this...
  • Brilliant really happy with this, whilst at the show jumping tomorrow i will quietly be singing we are parkys red and white. COYR's
  • confident at the club of promotion,nothing but that this season.
  • As will I while I am at Disney on Ice. :-(
  • See you there westside
  • Apparantly Brendan Rodgers has two games to save his job so no surprise we have acted!
  • Reading will sack their manager before xmas.

Parky is now on a 4 year deal

Its not rocket science
  • Reading could be a factor but...

people are saying strange timing but we don't really know what is going on at board level.

Might have been planned for a while, might be that as a result of financial investment that situation is now clear, could be that parties have been negotiating for some time.

And we don't know the Ts & Cs or notice periods either way.

Good questions for Peter Varney, who by the way will be speaking at Bromley Addicks on November 10th.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Reading will sack their manager before xmas.

Parky is now on a 4 year deal

Its not rocket science

OS say one year extension so contract runs until the end of 2010/11.