Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice with Facebook please.

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
My daughter would like to open a facebook account and i'm not sure. She's told me all the good bits and how many of her friends are registered, are there any pifalls or should i just let her go-ahead.
Safety issues and security problems come to mind as i have read some bad press any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Obvious question - how old is she?
  • Options
    My daughter is 10 and on facebook. She has the most intense privacy settings you can get.

So intense that i couldn't actually find her to be friends with her!

Worked it out in the end though!

Your daughter should be ok if she's of a similar age as you can keep an eye on who her 'friends' are.
  • Options
    SE10's right, The best thing to do would be to make sure all the privacy settings are set to 'friends only'. This will mean that only people that have requested and been accepted by your daughter as a 'friend' can view her profile. She can also hide her profile so that people cant search for her, they can only see her profile once your daughter has requested them to be her friend.
  • Options
    Yep, the harshest privacy settings seem pretty good. One of my cousins is on there but I can't see any way to add him as a friend or see anything in his profile...
  • Options
    Many Thanks for all the advice.
  • Options
    Make sure she signs you up as a friend as well.

That way you can see if anyone is making inappropriate comments and see any new friends that sign up.

OK, seems a bit nosey but have to be careful.
  • Options
    Agree with HI and SE10 - did same with my daughter.

Then she got to 15 and blocked me so I couldn't see the inappropriate comments but by then you have to trust them....
  • Options
    Some advice on these sites for both children and parents about the internet.

http://www.thinkyouknow.co.uk/parents/

http://www.nextgenerationlearning.org.uk/At-Home/Internet-safety/
  • Options
    not looked at my facebook account for ages now, just had a quick glance and noticed that loads of threads from here are in my 'homepage' (or whatever it's called), anyone else get this??
  • Options
    Yep.........Its part of AFKA & Lookies plans for World Domination !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Make sure that her "friends" are her friends, and not people who go to the same school. or are friends of friends. If you look at most peoples facebook account, you'll find (like mine) that they have people who they might only nod hello too as they pass by in the office, etc.

At her age, make sure she does know them, and obviously not a made up name or someone who looks odd.

If in doubt, don't become friends with them!
  • Options
    I have only 46 friends on facebook not because i am a hermit but because those 46 friends are the people i actually know and scoialise with. The problem with facebook is that anybody can add anybody even if you've never met them before! I only add people i see quite regularly and not people i knew from primary school and haven't spoken to in 20 years. So yes use the harshest settings possible and it should be ok.
  • Options
    there was a post saying its getting even more secure soon from the makers, which shud be anytime soon!

although i do think it is a bit young, but im sure all her mates are on it as is my sister who is 12. just make sure your her friend and you can keep an eye on it and you sort out the privacy settings as at that age they are a bit young to be in control
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]I have only 46 friends on facebook not because i am a hermit but because those 46 friends are the people i actually know and scoialise with. The problem with facebook is that anybody can add anybody even if you've never met them before! I only add people i see quite regularly and not people i knew from primary school and haven't spoken to in 20 years. So yes use the harshest settings possible and it should be ok.

i find it odd how people add others that they've never even met.
  • Options
    Threadkiller,

I think for some people its a competition to see if they can get as many friends as possible even if they've never met them. For example you look at your friend's friend list and notice someone you ain't got on your list and just add them.
  • Options
    Or,as in my case, I invite people to become friends if their into Siouxsie And The Banshees.